2010 / 11 general chat.

Re: 2010 / 11 general chat.

mars;405882 said:
why do you continue to use them shit balls instead of the kooka??? price????
there so bad

The VT have an arrangement with Platypus in which I believe the VT get sponsorship for making clubs use their balls.

I hear they (the VT) were looking to move away (too many negative reports by clubs) but too many of the "old school VT people" wanted to stick with them - especially one Life Member whom we will call RP (not the current secretary - a Life Member).

If you are going to get a better deal from Platypus compared to Kooka, the exec would be doing the comp a disservice by taking the lesser option. If Kooka made a more attractive proposition then the comp may consider a change.

lifemember;405883 said:
The VT have an arrangement with Platypus in which I believe the VT get sponsorship for making clubs use their balls.

I hear they (the VT) were looking to move away (too many negative reports by clubs) but too many of the "old school VT people" wanted to stick with them - especially one Life Member whom we will call RP (not the current secretary - a Life Member).
I heard that as well, twice i believe they tried to change to Kooka but the old school won out.

southern sledge;405914 said:
I heard that as well, twice i believe they tried to change to Kooka but the old school won out.

Isn't there a case for a vote at the match committee meeting on this issue?We're meant to be feeding players into Premier competition. If we're using the Platypus, which turns into a nude plum, (with the same consistency) after 25 overs, what type of service are we doing the up and comers?

Hi all,

Jjust a quick reminder to inform your club delegates about voting for the proposed change to bonus points being considered tomorrow night. For the full proposal please look further up in this thread or go to

Brighton District Cricket Club

We look forward to your support tomorrow night.

Thanks

BDCC

bonus points must go;406291 said:
Hi all,

Jjust a quick reminder to inform your club delegates about voting for the proposed change to bonus points being considered tomorrow night. For the full proposal please look further up in this thread or go to

Brighton District Cricket Club

We look forward to your support tomorrow night.

Thanks

BDCC

Correct me if I am wrong, but a vote will not/ cannot happen tomorrow night? I am sure before clubs vote the delegates will want to report back to club commitees with what the proposed changes will be, then at the next delegates meeting a vote will be taken? Are we too close to the start of this season for this to happen? Rule books will need to be ammended to start with? I am all for a change. My only concern is in the lower grades, i can see a game finishing at 2 pm on the 2nd sat!! And while I am known to enjoy a beer or 20, I am sure that there are just as many players who want to play "2 day cricket"?

Too Old Body Broke;406297 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but a vote will not/ cannot happen tomorrow night? I am sure before clubs vote the delegates will want to report back to club commitees with what the proposed changes will be, then at the next delegates meeting a vote will be taken? Are we too close to the start of this season for this to happen? Rule books will need to be ammended to start with? I am all for a change. My only concern is in the lower grades, i can see a game finishing at 2 pm on the 2nd sat!! And while I am known to enjoy a beer or 20, I am sure that there are just as many players who want to play "2 day cricket"?

This is part of the problem. It will be voted on and unfortunately most delegates will just use their vetoing power to vote it down. I have no doubt it will not get up because the VTCA delegates are full of old fuddy duddies that do not want to change anything. The Executive have already indicated their preference to not change the ruling and so the majority of delegates will just follow. I think if those delegates actually canvassed their club members however, they would be in for a rude shock on how many people want it changed. Its the same as one day rules being voted down. I think if you asked most players, the majority would prefer bowling and fielding restrictions but that was shot down by old VTCA fuddy duddies that don't even play the game!

Snagglepuss;406303 said:
This is part of the problem. It will be voted on and unfortunately most delegates will just use their vetoing power to vote it down. I have no doubt it will not get up because the VTCA delegates are full of old fuddy duddies that do not want to change anything. The Executive have already indicated their preference to not change the ruling and so the majority of delegates will just follow. I think if those delegates actually canvassed their club members however, they would be in for a rude shock on how many people want it changed. Its the same as one day rules being voted down. I think if you asked most players, the majority would prefer bowling and fielding restrictions but that was shot down by old VTCA fuddy duddies that don't even play the game!

Exactly Snagglepuss, the reason for me posting on BC & BDCC sending a copy of the proposal to each club is that it does get both raised and voted on tomorrow night. Hopefully we have given enough clubs a chance to look at our proposal and take it to their players or at least key committemen. If so, I strongly beleive they will agree that bonus points r against the spirit of playing cricket to a result and we get a 'for' vote tomorrow night.

bonus points must go;406348 said:
Exactly Snagglepuss, the reason for me posting on BC & BDCC sending a copy of the proposal to each club is that it does get both raised and voted on tomorrow night. Hopefully we have given enough clubs a chance to look at our proposal and take it to their players or at least key committemen. If so, I strongly beleive they will agree that bonus points r against the spirit of playing cricket to a result and we get a 'for' vote tomorrow night.

Why not look at a minimum of 120 overs for a 2 day game before the the game is defined as over? This will stop the nonsense of 1 captain wanting to call it quits at say 2 pm on the 2nd Sat or earlier, and it still encourages 2 day cricket, which is what we play for right?

Too Old Body Broke;406488 said:
Why not look at a minimum of 120 overs for a 2 day game before the the game is defined as over? This will stop the nonsense of 1 captain wanting to call it quits at say 2 pm on the 2nd Sat or earlier, and it still encourages 2 day cricket, which is what we play for right?

Let's not put the cart infront of the horse here.
Brightons proposal, as I understand it, in no way means that bonus points change, or indeed that a game can finish before 5pm.
Their proposal reads ;
"Proposal for Alteration to VTCA Rule A2.5 regarding determination of finalists.
Proposal: "Brighton District are proposing that the bonus points system be modified to separate win/draw points earnt from bonus points which would be used as the tie-breaker where win/draw points are equal."

They go on to say; We acknowledge that the bonus points system gives the VTCA a unique quality in playing cricket right through to the last over of the day. Our proposal aims to keep this feature ? teams who are in finals contention or relegation-threatened will still need to play for as many points as possible in case they finish the season equal on win points."

So let's understand what the vote is about.
One of my concerns is how many dead rubbers would be played towards the end of the Season. How good was the end of last season in Senior Division at the end with all but 1 game having a bearing on finals and relegation. Under the proposed change the Season for a number of Clubs would have been over 2 weeks early, can't say that does alot for club funds.

Sniffin Around;406502 said:
Let's not put the cart infront of the horse here.
Brightons proposal, as I understand it, in no way means that bonus points change, or indeed that a game can finish before 5pm.
Their proposal reads ;
"Proposal for Alteration to VTCA Rule A2.5 regarding determination of finalists.
Proposal: "Brighton District are proposing that the bonus points system be modified to separate win/draw points earnt from bonus points which would be used as the tie-breaker where win/draw points are equal."

They go on to say; We acknowledge that the bonus points system gives the VTCA a unique quality in playing cricket right through to the last over of the day. Our proposal aims to keep this feature ? teams who are in finals contention or relegation-threatened will still need to play for as many points as possible in case they finish the season equal on win points."

So let's understand what the vote is about.
One of my concerns is how many dead rubbers would be played towards the end of the Season. How good was the end of last season in Senior Division at the end with all but 1 game having a bearing on finals and relegation. Under the proposed change the Season for a number of Clubs would have been over 2 weeks early, can't say that does alot for club funds.

Correct, sniffin'. Bonus points stay the same and games are played to the end of the day.

However, I can't say I agree with this assessment about live games. Under the suggestion, every game would have been live coming into the last round in Senior Division. Royal Park, Altona and Willy could all have been relegated (along with Youlden), while South Caulfield, Old Essendon and St. Bernard's would have been vying for 4th spot. Even McKinnon would have been an outside chance of making the 4 if things went their way.

bonus points must go;406348 said:
Word out of Yarraville tonight is that the clubs voted to retain the present bonus points system and only 12 clubs voted to change.
Lets hope East Brighton now concentrate on season 2010/11.

southern sledge;406573 said:
Word out of Yarraville tonight is that the clubs voted to retain the present bonus points system and only 12 clubs voted to change.

Correct - motion was defeated 32-12... :(

On brighter note, VTCA has its own facebook page under name "Victorian Turf"... worth adding guys to keep in touch with news / decisions etc....

southern sledge;406573 said:

To be fair they spoke very well and are obviously very passionate about the issue. I understand their point but the Prez was also correct in saying bonus points is what seperates us from the hit and giggle of comps like CMCA where they only use it as percentage. The right result but a big commendation to Brighton District for putting their nuts on the line and proposing a change.

NorthClubsDontPayPlayers;406614 said:
To be fair they spoke very well and are obviously very passionate about the issue. I understand their point but the Prez was also correct in saying bonus points is what seperates us from the hit and giggle of comps like CMCA where they only use it as percentage. The right result but a big commendation to Brighton District for putting their nuts on the line and proposing a change.

Thank you, NCDPP. Unfortunately we didn't get the decision up.

Again a disappointing and ill-informed implication from Southern Sledge given we proposed the change in late March and this is when the VTCA put it on the agenda. Obviously you never want any proposals for improvement or changes to the competition to be made.

zyxwvu;406632 said:
Thank you, NCDPP. Unfortunately we didn't get the decision up.

Again a disappointing and ill-informed implication from Southern Sledge given we proposed the change in late March and this is when the VTCA put it on the agenda. Obviously you never want any proposals for improvement or changes to the competition to be made.

Agree 100%. Very arrogant response.

southern sledge;406645 said:
What was arrogant about my response, just stated the facts.

"Lets hope East Brighton now concentrate on season 2010/11".

Wasn't it Brighton District CC?

By stating you hope they now concentrate on season 2010/11, what exactly is your point there? How were they not concentrating on the forthcoming season?
They've put forward a proposal which makes a lot of sense and I'm sure they are working hard on their preparations for the new season. Some of your contributions are quite good, but other times it seems you have a vested interest in the inner-workings of the VTCA or you are on the payroll there or something.
Your response gives the feeling you're rapt this proposal got knocked back and you're having a subtle crack at the club who put it up. But i would love to know how you think they weren't concentrating on the new season simply because they put forward a motion at the AGM.

CheeQuee;406683 said:
"Lets hope East Brighton now concentrate on season 2010/11".

Wasn't it Brighton District CC?

By stating you hope they now concentrate on season 2010/11, what exactly is your point there? How were they not concentrating on the forthcoming season?
They've put forward a proposal which makes a lot of sense and I'm sure they are working hard on their preparations for the new season. Some of your contributions are quite good, but other times it seems you have a vested interest in the inner-workings of the VTCA or you are on the payroll there or something.
Your response gives the feeling you're rapt this proposal got knocked back and you're having a subtle crack at the club who put it up. But i would love to know how you think they weren't concentrating on the new season simply because they put forward a motion at the AGM.
I am glad you feel some of my contributions are quite good, however i am getting tired of the CMCA block at Brighton District trying to change the VTCA rules, yes they had some good points but the bonus points system makes us unique to other comps.
What annoy's me most about the CMCA is that they are activly campaigning to councils to get rid of turf wickets or to put hard wickets next to turf ones. This is presently happening at Hamptons second ground, with the CMCA pushing Bayside council to put Hampton United C C juniors on that ground and also taking away two of HCC junior grounds and turning them into passive area's.

southern sledge;406688 said:
I am glad you feel some of my contributions are quite good, however i am getting tired of the CMCA block at Brighton District trying to change the VTCA rules, yes they had some good points but the bonus points system makes us unique to other comps.
What annoy's me most about the CMCA is that they are activly campaigning to councils to get rid of turf wickets or to put hard wickets next to turf ones. This is presently happening at Hamptons second ground, with the CMCA pushing Bayside council to put Hampton United C C juniors on that ground and also taking away two of HCC junior grounds and turning them into passive area's.

Fair enough - i'm not from the area so don't know what goes on with local council/cricket club politics over there.
Thought the examples they put forward of clubs winning more games but finishing lower than other sides due to bonus points gained were very valid.

Back