2014/15 D Grade And Below

You can't call it cheating. It's simply a fact of park cricket that it happens. Guys can be unavailable for any number of reasons that are unavoidable. We're not talking about loading a side here either which you could argue is morally wrong (as far as I know it's not against the rules), it's a player here and there.

Paying a fee to play someone who is deemed a higher grade player is simply ridiculous and besides which, it would get shot down either at at AGM or special meeting.
Lets see if you're whistling a different tune when your team gets knocked out of finals because of 'almost' cheating like this!!

I certainly hope a sub fielder gets knocked back if he's unavailable for week two of this game.

That's the price a team needs to pay to have the use of the higher grade player.

Almost cheating? Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

BTW, why is there no complaining about Marshall who made 190? Why is that acceptable to you guys and Amos making 124 is not? From what I can see on my cricket, Marshall has a better batting record and is also a cricketer who's been around the top (BS, MS) for much of his career.

Almost cheating? Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

BTW, why is there no complaining about Marshall who made 190? Why is that acceptable to you guys and Amos making 124 is not? From what I can see on my cricket, Marshall has a better batting record and is also a cricketer who's been around the top (BS, MS) for much of his career.

You're really clutching at straws to try and defend Amos playing in E Grade.

Mark Marshall plays veterans, has played every game in E Grade this season, and in his first 5 games had a highest score of 39. Last season he played 11 games in C Grade and had a batting average of 17.

The fact is that Barclay and Money Shield cricketers popping down to lower grades for half a game is unfair on those that play those grades, and the DVCA should come up with a solution.

Mark Marshall plays veterans, has played every game in E Grade this season, and in his first 5 games had a highest score of 39. Last season he played 11 games in C Grade and had a batting average of 17.

The fact is that Barclay and Money Shield cricketers popping down to lower grades for half a game is unfair on those that play those grades, and the DVCA should come up with a solution.
Spot on!!!

So Marshall is fine, despite having a better career batting record, just because he started in E Grade this year? For the record, Amos' highest score this season was 24 before this game and last year he made 134 @ 19.14, so he hardly set the world on fire in MS. As I said, in park cricket it's going to happen, so stop whinging and deal with it.

So Marshall is fine, despite having a better career batting record, just because he started in E Grade this year? For the record, Amos' highest score this season was 24 before this game and last year he made 134 @ 19.14, so he hardly set the world on fire in MS. As I said, in park cricket it's going to happen, so stop whinging and deal with it.
There is a big difference between playing there all season and making a ton, as opposed to filling in for 1 game and making a ton! And Amos hasn't even bowled yet! God help us if were to hurt someone who simply isn't up to facing 'A' grade bowling! We could go round and round on this one for ages. Fundamentally, it is wrong or unfair or not in the spirit of the game for senior or more talented cricketers (who would train far more often and possibly get paid) to infiltrate lower grades without some form of penalty or restrictions being imposed. If you say Blackhawk that its just 'gunna happen', make it fair and reasonable for the toilers and battlers playing for fun and growth of kids by putting something in place that evens the playing field. My idea for what its worth is a monetary penalty of say $200 that goes back into junior cricket and on the day, said player cannot bat higher than number 7 or bowl before 25th over and the opposition is informed before the toss of the coin!

Is this about Mill Park?

I wouldn't mind facing Terry Keays again. What a ******* shock that was LOL

When I faced him, he was one of three over 14 that day. I remember thinking "How the **** am I going to play this ****?" And then "If I connect with one of these balls, and it heads straight for one of the kids. They're going to get seriously ****** up."

Lucky I got a nick off the other guy before anything happened.

Nice work Stars.

Tall poppy syndrome much? You're going to get the odd high grade player in the lower grades from time to time. Deal with it. Oh cry me a river, a kid might get hit for a few tommys. They'll live and maybe learn something. I hit a younger bloke for 6 in F grade a game ago and I'm certain he wasn't emotionally crippled by the experience.
I was distraught, and have not played cricket since.

if amos made stuff all you wouldnt be complaining , they did drop him a couple of times . i have told my blokes that from time to time we will be playing against ex A grade cricket players or A grade players who are missing for a week so they need to deal with it and concentrate on getting him out or restrict his runs then sooking about what level he should be playing . for your info Amos was never going to bowl and the reason he is playing is we were missing 10 players during the week and another 2 pulled out on saturday 2 hours before the game

It's lucky 2 bob isn't running the comp milo, it's hard enough filling teams at times, the last thing clubs need is being slugged exorbitant amounts of money to simply put players on the field.

My solution would be that if you have played BS, MS or B Grade in that season you cannot play in the bottom 4 grades(E, F, G, H). So in that example a BS player could play in MS, B, C or D grade but by that stage a young kid or senior player would be half decent anyway. If a higher grade player only plays one week then its the clubs call to say if they want them still playing in their 2's or 3's and wouldn't subject the older seniors or juniors to someone way out of their skill level

My solution would be that if you have played BS, MS or B Grade in that season you cannot play in the bottom 4 grades(E, F, G, H). So in that example a BS player could play in MS, B, C or D grade but by that stage a young kid or senior player would be half decent anyway. If a higher grade player only plays one week then its the clubs call to say if they want them still playing in their 2's or 3's and wouldn't subject the older seniors or juniors to someone way out of their skill level

What if they are a top grade bowler and a terrible batsman and they get injured. Aren't they allowed to play as a batsman in the lower grades?

So we're all good now? We've gotten over top grade players occasionally playing lower grade cricket? We're all ready for the weekend to white up and play? I've got the camping chair packed, I've been to the ATM and my stubby holder is primed.

I must admit, I don't like the idea of established A Grade players (Players who we all know are not likely to ever be dropped on performance) playing in the lower grades for one week and smashing sides, with bat or ball. I don't think its a good look on the DVCA, Club or Player.

I would like to see it stamped out, but I think some suggestions are bordering on ridiculous. I would like to see a rule along the lines of - "If you've played 7 (example) or more games in BS or MS in the last season and current, then you're not eligible to play in D grade and below". Obviously, there needs to be special consideration for clubs that their twos are in D grade or below, but they are special cases.

I must admit, I don't like the idea of established A Grade players (Players who we all know are not likely to ever be dropped on performance) playing in the lower grades for one week and smashing sides, with bat or ball. I don't think its a good look on the DVCA, Club or Player.

I think you're right that its not a good look for the player. Being a classy batsman myself, if I'm unavailable one week I always pull out of the game entirely.
I don't think its fair on your team mates to have to cover you in the field all day, and its not good for the opposition to be on the receiving end of a Toddy batting lesson. Beating up weaker people is nothing to be proud of.

I find it hilarious how you're complaining about a BS or MS playing below their grade every so often, but have no issues with overseas players or marquee players in the T20 comp. That's essentially the same thing, just with better players again.

I find it hilarious how you're complaining about a BS or MS playing below their grade every so often, but have no issues with overseas players or marquee players in the T20 comp. That's essentially the same thing, just with better players again.

You're not comparing the two, surely? T20 is a hit and giggle game that is great to help assist in fund raising and having some fun with other clubs across the comps. Having a marquee player helps promote these nights and get a crowd. Two very very different situations.

You're not comparing the two, surely? T20 is a hit and giggle game that is great to help assist in fund raising and having some fun with other clubs across the comps. Having a marquee player helps promote these nights and get a crowd. Two very very different situations.

Sure, why is it not applicable? Any argument used here against players in lower grades is applicable to the T20, particularly when people like Brad Hodge have played in it as I think it's fair to say he'd be better than any of us in the comp. Even more so if your club plays it only for a 'hit and giggle'. You could even take it further if you wanted into the 'unfair' argument as unlike the DVCA divisions, there is cash on offer to the winner.

So if you wouldn't oppose marquee players or overseas players, there is no reason to oppose high grade players occasionally being in the lower grades.

Sure, why is it not applicable? Any argument used here against players in lower grades is applicable to the T20, particularly when people like Brad Hodge have played in it as I think it's fair to say he'd be better than any of us in the comp. Even more so if your club plays it only for a 'hit and giggle'. You could even take it further if you wanted into the 'unfair' argument as unlike the DVCA divisions, there is cash on offer to the winner.

So if you wouldn't oppose marquee players or overseas players, there is no reason to oppose high grade players occasionally being in the lower grades.
We don't play T20s for points unlike Saturdays...

Back