2014/15 D Grade And Below

I agree more hits is what required likewise more bowling. 7 one dayers and 7 two Dayers is still the way to go. Sooner the Executive scrap the terrible 10 team comp proposal and go for 12 teams in Barclay and 8 teams from Money down the better.

If you're a batsman you don't bat at 8 or below.

As for 'poor techniques', oh please, give me a break, we're playing park cricket. Let's not have delusions of adequacy.
Bowlers enjoy batting as well, not every bowler just wants to sit on there arse every second weekend.

As for 'poor techniques', oh please, give me a break, we're playing park cricket. Let's not have delusions of adequacy.

No delusions, but reality.

Its the kids techniques that would suffer, or they would be banished to the bottom end of the batting order due them not having time/strength to "smash" runs.

DVCA has an ODC comp.

I could live with a 7 and 7 fixture. Not sure about this new structure but I guess we'll find out more in the off season.

The kids techniques have suffered anyway with these pitches. I've seen a good amount get out driving at length balls they'd probably have been better off playing a more unconventional shot at.

If you're a batsman you don't bat at 8 or below.

I know it probably shocks you, but cricket is a team game, where each team has 11 batsmen. Not 8. We should be encouraging more hits for everyone, not just the top 6-8 players in each team.

Park cricket that is a lead into Sub district - District - State - and International. Where do you think all the international cricketers came from? Local clubs, playing 2 day cricket. How would we go in 20 years time, if we had the likes of Mitch Johnson, Faulkner etc batting in International cricket after batting their whole junior careers at 8 or 9, only batting 3 times a year because we made the comp a T20 or One day comp.

Very silly idea that would ruin cricket everywhere. And as rightly pointed out, if that's what floats your boat, go play in the one day comp that is already available for you.

Last edited:
Playing a longer game doesn't always guarantee a hit for everyone either. As a tail ender, you'd probably get the same, maybe even more hits in an all one day competition of 40-50 overs as the 68.

If you're still playing low grade park cricket by the time you're 17, study harder at school because you're probably not going to be an international superstar.

Playing a longer game doesn't always guarantee a hit for everyone either. As a tail ender, you'd probably get the same, maybe even more hits in an all one day competition of 40-50 overs as the 68.

If you're still playing low grade park cricket by the time you're 17, study harder at school because you're probably not going to be an international superstar.

Plenty of us still prefer 2 day cricket. If you want to play all OD cricket play in the one day comp. If more and more people feel that way then more sides will be entered into the ODC and it will expand.

T20 is great to watch. But most the time it is frustrating to play. As a bat you might nail a couple, knick one over gully/point and end up making 18 from 12 balls and that's your contribution for the match. Hardly everybodies cup of tea. Don't assume everyone wants the same thing as you do. You're probably in a minority.

How are you going to play a 50 over ODC thats a 100 over day... you'll be finishing at 9pm

Well that's the issue with 50 overs. The only option is to start earlier which isn't out of the question as Saturday morning junior cricket is dying the death of a thousand cuts due to other sports.

Well that's the issue with 50 overs. The only option is to start earlier which isn't out of the question as Saturday morning junior cricket is dying the death of a thousand cuts due to other sports.

Pretty sure Saturday cricket for juniors is done and dusted as of this year. (tbc)
Now clubs will need to watch out for the ever expanding junior soccer clubs (now a summer sport) who will request use of the now vacant grounds on saturday mornings...
We need to be very careful here... or some smaller clubs might see themslves taken over by bigger junior soccer clubs in their area...

One day cricket is fine for those who want to play it.
However, the current One Day comp, at the moment doesnt suit everyone as there are some very good quality cricketers running around in that comp now.
There currently is no restriction on who can play.
So for example a Salvatore or Rosbrook could easily play in the ODC if only available for one week of a game... perhaps against a 45-50 y.o who just wants a hit...

So the older chaps or those with a little less ability, who might like to play One Day cricket rather than field 68 or 80 overs every second week, risk getting hurt playing in the current ODC.
The only way that will improve this is if we have more than one grade of ODC, and that requires more teams to nominate, and also introduce rules on who can / cant play each week. For mine, clubs current A/B grade players should not be able to play.

So clubs have the choice... instead of nominating E, F, G or H grades next year, they put in more One day teams... it is the club's choice at the end of the day.

The problem is, they had two one day comps, and they were both rubbish due to what you pointed out (guns playing against fathers of juniors having some fun) and therefore clubs saw it as a waste of time and pulled their sides.

They have to do donething drastic to win those clubs back. Maybe making a rule that if you have played in your clubs top grade that season, you can't play in the one day comp.

I'd like to see the 1-Day grade scrapped and replaced with a T20 grade. Most blokes who play in the ODC play with mates for a bit of fun. Good social get together. This way it is a couple of hours for a bit of a hit and allows these guys to get back to the rooms for few drinks afterwards and support their 1sts/2nds. I'll probably get slammed for this suggestion but just an idea.

I like the 7/7 idea but think the idea of all cricket being one day games is ludicrous.

We need to be very careful here... or some smaller clubs might see themslves taken over by bigger junior soccer clubs in their area...

Not sure that's an issue; a footy/cricket ground isn't set up for soccer in the first place and they can't just come in and 'take over'.

Pretty sure Saturday cricket for juniors is done and dusted as of this year. (tbc)

That's a shame. I might have been perverse, but I enjoyed playing cricket all day Saturday as a kid. Playing in a weak senior side, if the stars alligned I'd sometimes get 3 bats. Probably for a grand total of about 15 runs....

That's a shame. I might have been perverse, but I enjoyed playing cricket all day Saturday as a kid. Playing in a weak senior side, if the stars alligned I'd sometimes get 3 bats. Probably for a grand total of about 15 runs....

I hate not having them there playing on a Saturday morning as a senior player. I loved rocking up to either my club or the opposition at 11, have some lunch and watching the last hour of play and just chill before getting ready for my game. It would've been great for the kids to have a dozen or so senior players there supporting and cheering them on.

Now, there's nothing on, and on more than one occasion this year I have turned up at club who's rooms (their firsts ground) wasn't even opened until 12:20.

I hate not having them there playing on a Saturday morning as a senior player. I loved rocking up to either my club or the opposition at 11, have some lunch and watching the last hour of play and just chill before getting ready for my game. It would've been great for the kids to have a dozen or so senior players there supporting and cheering them on.

Now, there's nothing on, and on more than one occasion this year I have turned up at club who's rooms (their firsts ground) wasn't even opened until 12:20.
Yeah, I certainly remember it would be a bit of a thrill if senior guys turned up and you were out there batting/bowling.

With only 9 sides playing Saturday mornings and almost 100 playing Friday evenings I think the reality is that Sat morns are dead.
I do agree with shortnwide and tongs that for so many years a clubs culture was to support the young guys on a sat morn and then get them into senior training and be a part of the club and play sat arvos, but hey times change.

Maybe its us old guys that have to change our ways and turn up Friday nights?

With only 9 sides playing Saturday mornings and almost 100 playing Friday evenings I think the reality is that Sat morns are dead.
I do agree with shortnwide and tongs that for so many years a clubs culture was to support the young guys on a sat morn and then get them into senior training and be a part of the club and play sat arvos, but hey times change.

Maybe its us old guys that have to change our ways and turn up Friday nights?

The hard thing with your suggestion is guys my age (that are getting a bit older), now have wives and families and its hard enough getting out Tuesday, Thursday and all day/night Saturday, to then try and get out Friday's too. I would love to see juniors back on a Saturday morning.

Whose ur tip for D grade -looking very close with a few sides on even points fighting for finals spot. Obviously Lower Plenty and Mill Park look the teams to beat but bundoora are a dark horse.

Back