2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Tongs

This is the thread for all things Barclay Shield, good luck to the clubs competing in the highest grade.

A pleasing win for the RECCC boys yesterday. Most pleasing of all was the ability of Ben Cookson to participate and be part of the first dismissal with a low diving catch to his right. It's been a tough road for him and the journey continues. To get out on the park is a victory in itself for Ben whist he continues the job off field to fight the challenges and score all those little victories along the way to the ultimate victory of all:)

I may be a bit late fellas but I wanted to pose a question to all of you out there. Straw poll. Who of you out there would welcome back a player/s to your club if they had previously left in an unsavory manner? Generally that means over money or a dispute with the coach/captain, committee or another player! Look forward to your replies

Good win by the Bun Utd boys yesterday against my guys. They started off by bowling in good areas and moving well in the field. Some good hitting and smart batting by Phil Zumbo and Josh Turner in the last 10 overs saw us post a competitive score of 168. Apart from the early wicket of Cogan our bowling couldn't replicate the disciplined effort of Bun Utd and as well as the issue of being 1 and a half bowlers short, we couldn't match it over the day. Thoroughly deserved their win and will be competitive for the season. New recruit in Umar Razaq is a handy inclusion also. Enjoyable bunch of guys to play against and a pleasure to enjoy their company for a few drinks after the game as well. Great inclusion to Barclay Shield. :)

Was that that Terry Keays playing in G Grade on the weekend.

God help those poor suckers. Especially with 2 piece balls.

Good win by the Bun Utd boys yesterday against my guys. They started off by bowling in good areas and moving well in the field. Some good hitting and smart batting by Phil Zumbo and Josh Turner in the last 10 overs saw us post a competitive score of 168. Apart from the early wicket of Cogan our bowling couldn't replicate the disciplined effort of Bun Utd and as well as the issue of being 1 and a half bowlers short, we couldn't match it over the day. Thoroughly deserved their win and will be competitive for the season. New recruit in Umar Razaq is a handy inclusion also. Enjoyable bunch of guys to play against and a pleasure to enjoy their company for a few drinks after the game as well. Great inclusion to Barclay Shield. :)

Was a quality game Brutal, played in great spirits. Good to be back in Barclay and be playing some good competitive cricket.

Im Stuey Sutcliffe - national 9 news!

my my my I have missed cricket. being away for the last month drinkin bin tangs but have loved seen diamond creek go 0-2 lower eltham look poo and are quite on here now. have mcleod have dropped off? no need to stress boys. riverside will choke in finals again if they get there. welcome to Barclay Cunningham ya flog. 2 games. 2 ducks. 1 wicket.

my my my I have missed cricket. being away for the last month drinkin bin tangs but have loved seen diamond creek go 0-2 lower eltham look poo and are quite on here now. have mcleod have dropped off? no need to stress boys. riverside will choke in finals again if they get there. welcome to Barclay Cunningham ya flog. 2 games. 2 ducks. 1 wicket.

Thanks for revving him up Jason (?) his 5 fa helped us get the win over NEW. Cheers for that.

flat track bully that beat up a crap teams bottom order. got one top 6 wicket against a club that has 3 wins across there 5 senior teams.
The bowlers who do it on a flat track are all the more impressive! He's got a head on him like a smashed crab, but he's the best bowler in the comp since Keays and McGinty in their prime. Bowls heat, and not afraid to play a little bit of chin music, fizz a few past the tail enders ears and unsettle them. He's a superstar who will keep them up and in contention for finals. Can't wait for him and Rozzy to go toe to toe, star all rounders.
NEW in a little bit of trouble though, and DC surely relieved to get off the mark. Hard to make finals from 0-3!

The bowlers who do it on a flat track are all the more impressive! He's got a head on him like a smashed crab, but he's the best bowler in the comp since Keays and McGinty in their prime. Bowls heat, and not afraid to play a little bit of chin music, fizz a few past the tail enders ears and unsettle them. He's a superstar who will keep them up and in contention for finals. Can't wait for him and Rozzy to go toe to toe, star all rounders.
NEW in a little bit of trouble though, and DC surely relieved to get off the mark. Hard to make finals from 0-3!
WOW!!!!! Baker, Glynn, Hubber, Gibbs, whale... The list goes on and on. How quickly we forget. The 'best' bowlers in the valley weren't necessarily the quickest

Not to discredit Cunningham, he's a more than capable bowler with plenty of time left.

But, come on now. I probably wouldn't even have him in the top couple for best bowler in the comp now, let alone since McGinty and Keays. For example, McGann's best year is almost more wickets than Cunningham has taken in his 1st XI career.

Last edited:
Not to discredit Cunningham, he's a more than capable bowler with plenty of time left.

But, come on now. I probably wouldn't even have him in the top couple for best bowler in the comp now, let alone since McGinty and Keays. For example, McGann's best year is almost more wickets than Cunningham has taken in his 1st XI career.

Just pumping up the great mans tyres! You're right though, he's not amongst the best bowlers in the comp at the moment, steady change bowler though.

Those two names I threw up were outrageously good, and the other names thrown up were brilliant too. Comp has has some seriously good bowlers come through.

On Barclay Shield news, Plenty look good early! So too OP.

At this stage i've got Plenty, and Macleod making finals, Rosanna, SF OP, DC and LE fighting it out for the other spots.

Just pumping up the great mans tyres! You're right though, he's not amongst the best bowlers in the comp at the moment, steady change bowler though.

Those two names I threw up were outrageously good, and the other names thrown up were brilliant too. Comp has has some seriously good bowlers come through.

On Barclay Shield news, Plenty look good early! So too OP.

At this stage i've got Plenty, and Macleod making finals, Rosanna, SF OP, DC and LE fighting it out for the other spots.
Agree on Plenty and Macleod.
Wouldn't write off Epping yet though. I'd have them fighting out for that final spot in the four. Angelucci currently playing ODC if they get him back it'll strengthen them further.

At this stage I've got Plenty, Mac, DC and Epping.

We would need to start cracking from this round if we are to make finals.
Don't underestimate Franga's - they've knocked over Creek and Lower Eltham plus Bundoora quite comfortably

Back