2014/2015 Barclay Shield

WTF
3 scores less than 80 including LE.
These Kookaburra balls must be dynamite????
Can only comment for the Research pitch, but the thought was that the ball was always going to do a bit whilst the pitch was wet and suited the slower bowlers most. Turner 6 for Research and M.Salvatore 3 for LE taking 9 of the 14 wickets to fall.

WTF
3 scores less than 80 including LE.
These Kookaburra balls must be dynamite????

Nothing special about them, they just swing more than the Platypus ball, helped in part by Saturday's conditions. Apart from a couple of games, it was a blood bath in Money and B grade too.

NEW struggling in both shields. The question to be asked is why? I have spoken to former players who aren't to complimentary of people involved and the club psyche. That aside I was one of those who thought they could have pushed on and with their club junior numbers, have the platform to make their presence felt in Barclay for future years. As an outsider I have my views, but they have got me into trouble in the past, so would be interested in other people's thoughts.

NEW struggling in both shields. The question to be asked is why? I have spoken to former players who aren't to complimentary of people involved and the club psyche. That aside I was one of those who thought they could have pushed on and with their club junior numbers, have the platform to make their presence felt in Barclay for future years. As an outsider I have my views, but they have got me into trouble in the past, so would be interested in other people's thoughts.

Turns missed an opportunity yesterday Stu, another 3 overs and he could have set a record for the fastest bowling century in the history of the world.

Turns missed an opportunity yesterday Stu, another 3 overs and he could have set a record for the fastest bowling century in the history of the world.
Looking back the game should have been pulled at 3 when the opportunity was there. It was entertaining stuff and I respect LE for their commitment in trying everything to get a positive result, however when a game has 35 overs remaining and you have a 98 run deficit, no amount of big hitting is going to leave you with enough overs to secure 10 wickets. Sure we had a bit of a crack early to chase the total, but with Shan Malone unavailable, ang serious attempt would be short lived.

Looking back the game should have been pulled at 3 when the opportunity was there. It was entertaining stuff and I respect LE for their commitment in trying everything to get a positive result, however when a game has 35 overs remaining and you have a 98 run deficit, no amount of big hitting is going to leave you with enough overs to secure 10 wickets. Sure we had a bit of a crack early to chase the total, but with Shan Malone unavailable, ang serious attempt would be short lived.

bit confused by this post, wouldnt 98 runs ahead and 35 overs, give your side a realistic chance of the ten points??? so after you got absolutely caned for 18 overs, you say it should have been called off!!! cmon mate, give us a spell.

bit confused by this post, wouldnt 98 runs ahead and 35 overs, give your side a realistic chance of the ten points??? so after you got absolutely caned for 18 overs, you say it should have been called off!!! cmon mate, give us a spell.
sorry H2B. I'll try again. At 2.50 and with us leading by 80 and 38 overs to go, the umpire offered to pull stumps. Our captain was happy to but LE wanted to continue. A further 18 runs scored and 3 overs bowled left 35 overs remaining and a lead of 98 runs. My simple point is that regardless of the "caning", 17 overs was plausible to make 126, but not to get 9 wickets. As it turned out we decided that after losing 4 wkts, not to continue the chase. End result is we kept the 6 points we had at 2.50. The remaining 3 hours was entertaining but ultimately a fruitless excercise.

Last edited:
sorry H2B. I'll try again. At 2.50 and with us leading by 80 and 38 overs to go, the umpire offered to pull stumps. Our captain was happy to but LE wanted to continue. A further 18 runs scored and 3 overs bowled left 35 overs remaining and a lead of 98 runs. My simple point is that regardless of the "caning", 17 overs was plausible to make 126, but not to get 9 wickets. As it turned out we decided that after losing 4 wkts, not to continue the chase. End result is we kept the 6 points we had at 2.50. The remaining 3 hours was entertaining but ultimately a fruitless excercise.
The umpire wasn't dick norman or atlas was it?

Clearly you see this match the wrong way. It was your club who bowled a team out for 70 odd, and your club who should have been dictating the match.
Based on the fact you guys wanted to pull up stumps, there is no surprise that you got smashed around, credit to Lower for having a dip, if the same could be said for your mob, you may have got 10 points. I'd also add, stats may well back up that teams who get smashed for 220 in 18 overs, are also capable of being bowled out in 18 overs. (see lower grades)

Fruitless, you may think so, but whilst Lower Eltham had a horrible week 1 and got no points, they showed who's the boss between the two clubs.

Clearly you see this match the wrong way. It was your club who bowled a team out for 70 odd, and your club who should have been dictating the match.
Based on the fact you guys wanted to pull up stumps, there is no surprise that you got smashed around, credit to Lower for having a dip, if the same could be said for your mob, you may have got 10 points. I'd also add, stats may well back up that teams who get smashed for 220 in 18 overs, are also capable of being bowled out in 18 overs. (see lower grades)

Fruitless, you may think so, but whilst Lower Eltham had a horrible week 1 and got no points, they showed who's the boss between the two clubs.

Dont agree mate, Research won the 6 points they were after and had had enough. LE 1-3 needed to chase points hard as they're falling behind the early leaders. LE certainly didn't show who's boss... too little too late.

Dont agree mate, Research won the 6 points they were after and had had enough. LE 1-3 needed to chase points hard as they're falling behind the early leaders. LE certainly didn't show who's boss... too little too late.

fair enough, LE do need the points, they also weren't going to just walkaway with their tail between their legs.......they way i see it, research bowled out LE for 76 in 34.1 overs, and with 35 overs left in the match lead it by 98, and if they pushed harder could have lead by more or given themselves more overs to bowl LE out for a second time.

The fruitless part is not the last 35 overs but playing at all on week 2, if their intention was to not have a crack. I do know it has to be played as per the rules...
At least one side wanted to make something of it.

fair enough, LE do need the points, they also weren't going to just walkaway with their tail between their legs.......they way i see it, research bowled out LE for 76 in 34.1 overs, and with 35 overs left in the match lead it by 98, and if they pushed harder could have lead by more or given themselves more overs to bowl LE out for a second time.

The fruitless part is not the last 35 overs but playing at all on week 2, if their intention was to not have a crack. I do know it has to be played as per the rules...
At least one side wanted to make something of it.
I understand your point, and if the shoe had been on the other foot, perhaps Research would have tried to salvage something from the match. If Malone was batting maybe they'd have had a crack. Lower Eltham did a great job to try to make a game of it, but there just wasn't enough time for them to get one, unless Research took on a kamikaze approach.

I understand your point, and if the shoe had been on the other foot, perhaps Research would have tried to salvage something from the match. If Malone was batting maybe they'd have had a crack. Lower Eltham did a great job to try to make a game of it, but there just wasn't enough time for them to get one, unless Research took on a kamikaze approach.
My point exactly:)

Cricket can be a cruel game sometimes. Apart from Ben Cookson 65no and Brett Strickland 24, not much enjoyment on the batting front. Some loose shots and poor application the order of our innings. Fought back with the ball to have them 3/40 and should have had O'Connor out to make it 4/40, but the most important set of eyes missed what everyone else's didn't. Another opportunity to dismiss Mark Doyle in slip was not to be after GT indicated he didn't think he made the catch. Perhaps some may have claimed that one in lieu of the blatant one at the other end, but for some reason a fielders honesty is called upon more than a batsman's in cricket it seems. Ultimately however, our failure to dig in and bat 80 overs sealed our fate.

Last edited:
Cricket can be a cruel game sometimes. Apart from Ben Cookson 65no and Brett Strickland 24, not much enjoyment on the batting front. Some loose shots and poor application the order of our innings. Fought back with the ball to have them 3/40 and should have had O'Connor out to make it 4/40, but the most important set of eyes missed what everyone else's didn't. Another opportunity to dismiss Mark Doyle in slip was not to be after GT indicated he didn't think he made the catch. Perhaps some may have claimed that one in lieu of the blatant one at the other end, but for some reason a fielders honesty is called upon more than a batsman's in cricket it seems. Ultimately however, our failure to dig in and bat 80 overs sealed our fate.
Cmon stu. Tell us all a bit more than that! You will get splinters in your bum.. What did the ump miss? Which ump was it? They all have a sense of humour don't they and all make mistakes! I do agree about cricketers honesty. Id never do an Adam Gilchrist but I guess as all us park cricketers rely on is the eyes and ears of generally aging/unfit men, you have to ask yourself - how many bad ones have I copped vs how many times should I have walked?

Cmon stu. Tell us all a bit more than that! You will get splinters in your bum.. What did the ump miss? Which ump was it? They all have a sense of humour don't they and all make mistakes! I do agree about cricketers honesty. Id never do an Adam Gilchrist but I guess as all us park cricketers rely on is the eyes and ears of generally aging/unfit men, you have to ask yourself - how many bad ones have I copped vs how many times should I have walked?

No need to name names. We're not here to pot individual umpires.

You call the umpires "Aging/Unfit". That also the perfect description for half the players, so give it a spell, age is not an issue.

It was also a dig at the blokes that give up their whole Saturday afternoon for what is, really, a small amount of money, in the attempt to make our game better, for you and I. The umpires can frustrate me when I get a decision that I believe to be incorrect (it may not be), but come on now, give them a break. They're human, and they make mistakes. The game is better with them than without them.

Cmon stu, an umpire making a decision (rightly or wrongly) can't be compared to a fielder cheating by claiming a catch. I can't recall any occasions where fielders have claimed catches that they knew didn't carry. Appealing to the umpire for decisions they know not to be out is a different story though.

No need to name names. We're not here to pot individual umpires.

You call the umpires "Aging/Unfit". That also the perfect description for half the players, so give it a spell, age is not an issue.

It was also a dig at the blokes that give up their whole Saturday afternoon for what is, really, a small amount of money, in the attempt to make our game better, for you and I. The umpires can frustrate me when I get a decision that I believe to be incorrect (it may not be), but come on now, give them a break. They're human, and they make mistakes. The game is better with them than without them.
Ever heard the saying tongs "if you're gunna do a job do it properly"? The majority of umpires in the dvca are too old, too unfit or too preoccupied with getting there fees (ie finishing games early, offering to pull stumps etc). That's not a dig. That's a fact!! There are some good umpires too! But please don't get on here with your higher than mighty views just cos you're the mediator. Your telling us you have never had a stinker and told the umpire? And you've never knicked one and stood there while 11 fielders and half your teammates appealed yet were given not out, only to have a chuckle with the bowler at the end of the over? Don't be a tosser cos you're the mediator on here and give 1 opinion cos its the "right thing to say publicly" then have a joke with your teammates or opposition on a weekend about the poor standard of umpiring. In fact wasn't you who said either last year or the 1 before that the umpiring fraternity desperately needed to recruit numbers, or ex players as the standard was getting worse?? Yes we all make mistakes, even the players, but I was simply replying to stu's comments about the decision on the weekend that ALL new was wrong!

Last edited:
Ever heard the saying tongs "if you're gunna do a job do it properly"? The majority of umpires in the dvca are too old, too unfit or too preoccupied with getting there fees (ie finishing games early, offering to pull stumps etc). That's not a dig. That's a fact!! There are some good umpires too! But please don't get on here with your higher than mighty views just cos you're the mediator. Your telling us you have never had a stinker and told the umpire? And you've never knicked one and stood there while 11 fielders and half your teammates appealed yet were given not out, only to have a chuckle with the bowler at the end of the over? Don't be a tosser cos you're the mediator on here and give 1 opinion cos its the "right thing to say publicly" then have a joke with your teammates or opposition on a weekend about the poor standard of umpiring. In fact wasn't you who said either last year or the 1 before that the umpiring fraternity desperately needed to recruit numbers, or ex players as the standard was getting worse?? Yes we all make mistakes, even the players, but I was simply replying to stu's comments about the decision on the weekend that ALL new was wrong!

I'm not sure you know what the meaning of "fact" actually is? To taint all umpires with that tag, is not only grossly wrong, but it makes you look a fool.

Its got nothing to do with me being a moderator or not. I hate umpire bashing in any sport at local level. These people are giving up family/leisure time to help in the assisting of running the sports that we choose to play. They do the best to their ability, and yes they will make mistakes. That's why they are not umpiring at state or international level. Yes, I want the umpires as a whole to get better (through training or introduction of new members) but I am not about to single out individual umpires.

In the heat of a battle, of course I disagree with umpires on occasions.. I was given out earlier this year when it hit my forearm, not my glove which the umpire had thought. But he thought that it was out, and that's all that matters. I told him he owed me a beer and he bought me one after the game. I didn't get on social media to name names and to put him down and shame the bloke. But you take the good with the bad, I have also copped a good ones through out my career too. I don't believe in walking, but I also don't agree with claiming a catch that wasn't caught.

Why don't you take up umpiring?

Back