2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Sorry guys been off the air... I think Brad (Bundoora) has answered this well.
Agreed 100% not a good look but doing what we felt is right for the club, and apart from potentially Lower Eltham, doesn't affect anyone else in the comp. You can suggest we might have upset Plenty in BS, but that - on form- would be a big upset, even for our best XI.

We are playing within the rules that are there.
Feel free to suggest changes in April and get them voted in and we shall play by those rules too.

For our reserves to go to C grade next year really would not be that bad on its own, and if that was all it would be, then we probably would not have cared so much.

However, with the pending debacle of a restructure coming in 2016/17, we had to re-consider our position more intensely.
- Depending on how the DVCA choose to do the 2nds restructure - ie whether they grade all clubs 2nds 1-28 or just re-grade from the ladder positions, then potentially any team that misses the top 4 in C grade next year, could end up in D the year after...
It is a Big jump from D to BS, and there are no guarantees that our team would make the finals in any year.

The problem is we just dont know how the DVCA will proceed with the restructure so we were not prepared to let one bad year potentially disrupt selection of our BS team in the following years.
Not wanting to make excuses for our year as we havent been good enough, but we lost 4-5 players from our ones last year (and spider has only played 6 games thru injury, first 3 of those injured) and it has hurt our depth.
We will bounce back stronger in both grades next year.

As for the four players... Yes Adams & Taggar - put their hands up to help the club.
Spider - by his own admission, got dropped .... only 65 runs in 7 innings... ;)
Kaminski - did a bad ankle in Round 7 or 8 and hasnt played since. He also put his hand up, not fully fit, to help out..

As Brad also said, with all due respect to Whittlesea CC, we havent won yet.... we have just taken steps to hopefully put us in a better position to win.

As for the other 8 players, we were still mindful of keeping a relatively competitive team in our 1st XI.

So for all those haters out there, thank you for your concerns. But we will always continue to do what we feel is right by OUR club, within the rules provided.

Doesn't affect anyone else in the comp?

I didn't even bother reading the rest of it after that.

Bottom line is it's a disgraceful move and that's it.

Agreed 100% not a good look but doing what we felt is right for the club, and apart from potentially Lower Eltham, doesn't affect anyone else in the comp. You can suggest we might have upset Plenty in BS, but that - on form- would be a big upset, even for our best XI.

Feel free to suggest changes in April and get them voted in and we shall play by those rules too.

For our reserves to go to C grade next year really would not be that bad on its own, and if that was all it would be, then we probably would not have cared so much.

However, with the pending debacle of a restructure coming in 2016/17, we had to re-consider our position more intensely.
- Depending on how the DVCA choose to do the 2nds restructure - ie whether they grade all clubs 2nds 1-28 or just re-grade from the ladder positions, then potentially any team that misses the top 4 in C grade next year, could end up in D the year after...
It is a Big jump from D to BS, and there are no guarantees that our team would make the finals in any year.

The problem is we just dont know how the DVCA will proceed with the restructure so we were not prepared to let one bad year potentially disrupt selection of our BS team in the following years.
Not wanting to make excuses for our year as we havent been good enough, but we lost 4-5 players from our ones last year (and spider has only played 6 games thru injury, first 3 of those injured) and it has hurt our depth.

As for the four players... Yes Adams & Taggar - put their hands up to help the club.
Kaminski - did a bad ankle in Round 7 or 8 and hasnt played since. He also put his hand up, not fully fit, to help out..

As Brad also said, with all due respect to Whittlesea CC, we havent won yet.... we have just taken steps to hopefully put us in a better position to win.

As for the other 8 players, we were still mindful of keeping a relatively competitive team in our 1st XI.

So for all those haters out there, thank you for your concerns. But we will always continue to do what we feel is right by OUR club, within the rules provided.

"doesn't affect anyone else in the comp."

typical head up own bum statement.

DVCA should grow some balls and relegate both clubs

Bundoora doing it again. Didn't go up a few years ago into money shield when their B grade won the flag. Nek minnit fighting to stay out of relegation in B grade. Perhaps the year in money shield for your seconds could have done your club some good.

Love all those sitting high up on their on their pedestals when the fact of the matter is if they were in the same position they would have done the same thing!

This won't work - If you stack your side for the last game and win outright, you get 10 points. If you stack your side for the same period of time, but across 2 one day games as you suggested, you will win 12 points (6 points per game) and in effectively making the situation worse.
The maths sounds right...but its misleading Tongs. The one dayers are 6 point games only...there is no way of overtaking anyone with a 10 point game.....as in the case of Epping, where even if they win they can still get overtaken by Ro-zzzzz-anna.
Its simple, put the one dayers at the pointy end of the season, and you won't have contrived results where, as was mentioned earlier, 2 teams decide to effectively play 2 x 40 over onedayers... and it won't make teams (like last year's premier) outright fodder because they have feilded a weaker side.

Bundoora doing it again. Didn't go up a few years ago into money shield when their B grade won the flag. Nek minnit fighting to stay out of relegation in B grade. Perhaps the year in money shield for your seconds could have done your club some good.

Don't forget the year they finished last in Barclay, and didn't go down.

The maths sounds right...but its misleading Tongs. The one dayers are 6 point games only...there is no way of overtaking anyone with a 10 point game.....as in the case of Epping, where even if they win they can still get overtaken by Ro-zzzzz-anna.
Its simple, put the one dayers at the pointy end of the season, and you won't have contrived results where, as was mentioned earlier, 2 teams decide to effectively play 2 x 40 over onedayers... and it won't make teams (like last year's premier) outright fodder because they have feilded a weaker side.

The maths is correct, and not misleading at all. If you play the last round as a 2 day game, its a maximum of 10 points available. If you play 2 x One Day games, then 12 points maximum. Not having a dig, I just don't see your suggestion as a solution. Like the special request solution as mentioned.

Love all those sitting high up on their on their pedestals when the fact of the matter is if they were in the same position they would have done the same thing!

Silly comment. There are probably 5 or so other clubs that could possibly do a similar thing across the grades, that have not done it.

As mentioned, these two clubs have single handed stuff the final grading's across two grades.

So you're saying that you did it because you're worried that your side is possibly not even good enough to play finals in C grade next year and could get relegated again? If that's the case, your side deserves to be relegated and you should stuff stuffing up the whole comp for your own benefit.

To suggest this decision doesn't effect anyone else in the comp is ridiculous. Its been very easily pointed out that these decisions have manipulated the whole final 4 in Barclay, and the bottom two in B Grade. That, in my eyes effects the whole comp one way or another.

The maths is correct, and not misleading at all. If you play the last round as a 2 day game, its a maximum of 10 points available. If you play 2 x One Day games, then 12 points maximum. Not having a dig, I just don't see your suggestion as a solution. Like the special request solution as mentioned.
I know you're not having a go. Look at the maximum points- 12 points in 2 games as opposed to 20. I think you're getting it now.

I know you're not having a go. Look at the maximum points- 12 points in 2 games as opposed to 20. I think you're getting it now.

No no, its 12 points (Two Saturday one day games) as opposed to 10 points not 20! (One 2 day game across two Saturday's),

Not to mention a few years back when they finished last in Barclay but managed to stay up because Mernda who finished 6th or 7th were allowed to drop down!
Can't quite recall who were on the exec that year but it certainly had a bundoora flavour to it!

The current exec over the past cpl of years have shown no tolerance for any club or individual who treats the integrity of the DVCA with contempt, whether it be fighting or burning a clubs shirt on a social media page they have been hit very hard with fines,suspensions,loss of points and relegation.Im almost certain there will be an investigation into this and it would not surprise me at all to see both clubs start all senior grades next year on minus 18 or relegation of both.
We can toss around all types of different rule changes to combat this but in my mind the only way is to hit clubs who do this where it hurts,take points off them! An example needs to be made of both clubs to deter others.
The structure of the comp,reserves,was changed when another club stacked lower grades but the same thing has continued to happen.
Hopefully tough penalties are handed down as a deterrent to others!

No no, its 12 points (Two Saturday one day games) as opposed to 10 points not 20! (One 2 day game across two Saturday's),
grrrr....its 2 Games Tongs....you're missing the point. If the last game is over 2 days....the team winning and getting 6 points can still get overtaken by a team winning outright over a depleted team. A onedayer would prevent that from happening - I think you get it now.

grrrr....its 2 Games Tongs....you're missing the point. If the last game is over 2 days....the team winning and getting 6 points can still get overtaken by a team winning outright over a depleted team. A onedayer would prevent that from happening - I think you get it now.

You can say "I think you get it now", as many times as you like. I don't agree that it will solve anything. I think you get it now.

Why cant the rule just be that if you have played 3 or more games in the senior grade, then you can't be dropped down after round 8 or 9 ?
Just putting in out there ...

Why cant the rule just be that if you have played 3 or more games in the senior grade, then you can't be dropped down after round 8 or 9 ?
Just putting in out there ...

I think you're on the right track here, thought process is right but you'd need to revise the number or add some more to the process. Reasoning for that, for example, we currently have 12 players who have played 6 or more A grade games this year.

Based on that rule, one of them is not allowed to play at all for the last 2/3 rounds? I think that's where the application to the DVCA process is a great one, because we would be saying that we aren't dropping him to boost our twos, but because 12 doesn't fit into 11.

I think you're on the right track here, thought process is right but you'd need to revise the number or add some more to the process. Reasoning for that, for example, we currently have 12 players who have played 6 or more A grade games this year.

Based on that rule, one of them is not allowed to play at all for the last 2/3 rounds? I think that's where the application to the DVCA process is a great one, because we would be saying that we aren't dropping him to boost our twos, but because 12 doesn't fit into 11.

Yep, so restrict the number of players that can go down a grade in this instance, and bingo, resolved !

Don't forget the year they finished last in Barclay, and didn't go down.

Tongs - suggest you take your opinions back to the money Shield section until you earn the right to come back up ;) (hopefully next year)

We were in Money Shield right up until about Sept 20, when Mernda pulled out... Not our fault - lucky, but not our fault.

Yes Paul Reid was president at the time, but he had a team of Eltham Exec around him...and i dont recall him being too kind to us over the journey...just saying...

I actually think that there is a BIG chance that Plenty will win outright on Saturday in Barclay, thus denying Macleod the opportunity to take top spot.

Back