2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Just on Salm and Austin, I know district players have underperformed in the past. District Batsmen in particular take time to adjust to the slow tennis ball bounce. Plenty of guys "play" district 1's cricket. Few dominate it. Salm and Austin have. They are basically Vic 2nd XI bowlers, they will be very good.

Completely agree. I think bowlers are able to do more damage quicker than batsmen. (Insert C CricketBox comment about the pitches) these two will do very significant damage quickly.

Big credit to Riverside by pulling that off. By all reports both quality blokes and mighty cricketers. Lots for their younger players to learn from.

Hopefully Salm heals quickly and is back to his best after his shoulder reco, he'd be pretty good to watch at his best with the heat he bowls with. Nick the same. Just when you think you've weathered the storm from one end, you've got nick at the other end. He's going to be pretty brutal for batting line ups to handle. He'll also lead them extremely well.

Last edited:
Completely agree. I think bowlers are able to do more damage quicker than batsmen. (Insert C CricketBox comment about the pitches) these two will do very significant damage quickly.

Big credit to Riverside by pulling that off. By all reports both quality blokes and mighty cricketers. Lots for their younger players to learn from.

Hopefully Salm heals quickly and is back to his best after his shoulder reco, he'd be pretty good to watch at his best with the heat he bowls with. Nick the same. Just when you think you've weathered the storm from one end, you've got nick at the other end. He's going to be pretty brutal for batting line ups to handle. He'll also lead them extremely well.

Salm from one end then Nick from the other!

We might have a bowling partnership to finally rival Corcoran and Keays!

Anyone who makes runs against these 2 next season will certainly have earned them.

Well Riverside just won the flag.
So what shall we do,just write of the season head up to Byron and smoke a couple of ch
Fantastic get by Riverside, great cricketers and even better blokes. Will be good to hopefully see them push for higher honors after being a middle of the road club for the best part of 2 decades now.

I think we are going to see a massive off season just quietly....
Hey premiers again wasn't Salmy a plenty junior? Thought you guys would of thrown the cheque book at him like you always do.

Last edited:
Hey premiers again wasn't Salmy a plenty junior? Thought you guys would of thrown the cheque book at him like you always do.
Yeah he sure was!!!

Unfortunately we didn't even get a chance to have a chat with him, which is a shame. But we would not have had any hope of matching the coin that he is going to be making next season.

Like we always do?? Unfortunately you have been sucked in like many before you old mate...
How many seasons do we think until Plenty are in money shield?
#thecoffersareempty
Im sure we have a few new players in the pipeline my friend.. I wouldn't have thought we'd be visiting any money shield grounds any time soon

Why would there be any panic? Ok, so 3 clubs go down at the end of the next season, but doesn't the new structure ensure that first XI sides only play other firsts? I can safely say that the world won't end for those 3 clubs who go down and I do find throwing large sums of money at players in this league a little stupid.

Why would there be any panic? Ok, so 3 clubs go down at the end of the next season, but doesn't the new structure ensure that first XI sides only play other firsts? I can safely say that the world won't end for those 3 clubs who go down and I do find throwing large sums of money at players in this league a little stupid.

You're right, the world won't end.

But being stuck in Money Shield, or lower, for the next 20 years might be acceptable by your standards, but not everyone else's. Why would you want your club to play in any level than the highest it possibly can?

I do agree though that throwing big money at players to the point where your club can be affected financially is stupid. But, I suggest most budgets will be close to broken this season, with club boards deciding to reign it back in the year after that should they survive and then only have to contend with one team going down not three.

You're right, the world won't end.

But being stuck in Money Shield, or lower, for the next 20 years might be acceptable by your standards, but not everyone else's. Why would you want your club to play in any level than the highest it possibly can?

I do agree though that throwing big money at players to the point where your club can be affected financially is stupid. But, I suggest most budgets will be close to broken this season, with club boards deciding to reign it back in the year after that should they survive and then only have to contend with one team going down not three.

Well on the first point about being stuck in MS for 20 years; been there, done that and we still had (and have) a fantastic club. Obviously it's nice to get up as high as you can, but from what I see and hear, it's almost as though many clubs measure the of success of their club almost entirely upon what grade their teams, specifically their 1's, play. On field success is only a small part of what makes a successful.

I'm sure there are some clubs out there thinking they now have to spend big money on recruits to still be competitive and so the arms race starts. Once you have spent that kind of money, it becomes ingrained that you have to spend at least XX amount from last season to remain competitive. Breaking a cycle like that generally takes a coup and an ousting of the committee which is likely if all the unpaid lower grade players crack it as they will be the larger voting block.

Well on the first point about being stuck in MS for 20 years; been there, done that and we still had (and have) a fantastic club. Obviously it's nice to get up as high as you can, but from what I see and hear, it's almost as though many clubs measure the of success of their club almost entirely upon what grade their teams, specifically their 1's, play. On field success is only a small part of what makes a successful.

I'm sure there are some clubs out there thinking they now have to spend big money on recruits to still be competitive and so the arms race starts. Once you have spent that kind of money, it becomes ingrained that you have to spend at least XX amount from last season to remain competitive. Breaking a cycle like that generally takes a coup and an ousting of the committee which is likely if all the unpaid lower grade players crack it as they will be the larger voting block.
Blackhawk I highly doubt your club captain would share that same attitude as you do. As would all the recruits you have attracted over the last few seasons.

Ultimately we play cricket to be the best we can and our success is measured on how we preform on the field. Having a good social club ect is secondary. If you want to drink beers with your mates go to the pub

B
Ultimately we play cricket to be the best we can and our success is measured on how we preform on the field. Having a good social club ect is secondary. If you want to drink beers with your mates go to the pub

I'd argue that without a good social aspect to a club, it can't (at least it makes it harder) have on field success. By a social aspect I don't mean the maximum amount of beers you can drink before passing out in a pool of your own vomit either.

These 2 bowlers are premium quality and are dangerous at Premier level so look out batsmen. They bowl very well in partnership with each other so the pressure is mental and physical. The only disadvantage for them will be the crap bouncy synthetic which could stop them hitting the stumps as much. All I can say to DVCA batsmen is "good luck guys".

These 2 bowlers are premium quality and are dangerous at Premier level so look out batsmen. They bowl very well in partnership with each other so the pressure is mental and physical. The only disadvantage for them will be the crap bouncy synthetic which could stop them hitting the stumps as much. All I can say to DVCA batsmen is "good luck guys".

Any chance of yourself returning to the DVCA anytime soon? Don't want to end up in 3rd grade so they could use with a hand at War Memorial

Back