2014/2015 Barclay Shield

Home ground advantage is just another myth in cricket. With regard to Diamo, if a visiting side can't work out where to bowl on a ground with 80 meter long square boundaries, they deserve to lose.

Widen, or dig up and relay? Sounds like you'd be asking for trouble adding to the sides of pitches if you get movement and if we think the councils will dislike the cost of relaying all the carpet, think about the duck egg they'd lay if you want them to put in a new pitch too. There is already a standard minimum width of 1.83m. Well I've never measured them but assuming all pitches within the competition comply, if it's such a big deal, just mark tram lines on the landing strips 1.83m apart at the return crease as a guide for the umpires. Problem solved without ripping up god knows how much concrete, although I don't think it's much of a problem.
Councils definatley will not rip up and start again. As I suggested earlier tram tracks on wider pitches is the solution

Brutal must be disappointing as it looks like the Bats have played their biggest card to keep what looked like your best recruit. Stiff, would have been great get. Any signings up at Research?
Hope that Ben is doing well and on the mend :)

Councils definatley will not rip up and start again. As I suggested earlier tram tracks on wider pitches is the solution

What do we have umpires for? Barclay umpires get paid $21.66 an hour and they need lines painted on the pitch now?

Can't wait to get hit outside the wide line and be given out LBW next year.

Brutal must be disappointing as it looks like the Bats have played their biggest card to keep what looked like your best recruit. Stiff, would have been great get. Any signings up at Research?
Hope that Ben is doing well and on the mend :)
Yes, would have been handy. Apparently we were within a millimetre of signing him. As for other recruits, we are in a situation where we probably need a coach as Ben will need to focus on his health and life in general, so once that's done the recruits will start falling into place. I dare say they will include a o/s player, who at this stage could include international experience if we wish.

The solution is blokes stop sooking. Move your feet and hit the ball.

Agree. The pitches are shit, but you can't really complain about a side bowling 2 feet outside off stump. Isn't that just good tough cricket?

160 on synthetic pitches batting first has always given a side a good shot & 200 wins most game I would guess. I think its just incumbent upon batsmen to become better out there.

Riverside have old scorebooks on their website. If people could be bothered, they'd see even back in the early 90s scores were usually low. Perhaps that's skewed by riverside's bowling attack though!

If a wide is the 'width of a big pitch', as it going by international standards or anywhere turf cricket is played (i dont know the exact dimension) then obviously you cant spray paint lines on a narrow pitch, what you can do is allow more flexibility and leniency in calling wides on these narrow pitches.

shortnwide, post: 575570, member: 13482"]Agree. The pitches are shit, but you can't really complain about a side bowling 2 feet outside off stump. Isn't that just good tough cricket?

I agree it is good tough disciplined cricket. I was just merely stating that at grounds on skinny pitches it nigh impossible to implement this tactic without running the risk of bowling a no ball off the pitch.
On grounds with wide pitches bowlers bowl balls that on a skinny pitch would be a no ball. On wide pitches there is no repercussion.
It was just a discussion item. I wasnt trying to re-invent the wheel.

shortnwide, post: 575570, member: 13482"]Agree. The pitches are shit, but you can't really complain about a side bowling 2 feet outside off stump. Isn't that just good tough cricket?

I agree it is good tough disciplined cricket. I was just merely stating that at grounds on skinny pitches it nigh impossible to implement this tactic without running the risk of bowling a no ball off the pitch.
On grounds with wide pitches bowlers bowl balls that on a skinny pitch would be a no ball. On wide pitches there is no repercussion.
It was just a discussion item. I wasnt trying to re-invent the wheel.

I think its a good point. But it's just a variation across different grounds. In the same way that Diamond Creek is loooong square shorter straight, Hurstbridge short square longer straight, Rosanna had gremlins hiding in the pitch when I played there and Bundoora United's surface is very different to Eltham College's.

I don't think disciplined bowling wide of offstump and stacking the offside is defensive bowling. It's just bowling to your field. As long as batsmen keep getting frustrated and throwing away their wicket (myself included) then it seems like a pretty reasonable way to consistently bowl sides out.

I've seen games in other comps on turf (where the wickets should have more natural bounce) where successful sides do the same thing. As batsmen get settled the bowling moves further outside off, they often have a deep cover point within the first few overs to good batsmen so that even if a batsmen laces it he gets one run. Sooner or later they get frustrated and throw away their wicket.

And its easy to replicate. Its easier to find guys who can bowl two foot outside off than genuine strike bowlers.

I don't reckon you seem many good players of the cut shot at local level. Maybe its a lack of pace in the wickets.

Yes, would have been handy. Apparently we were within a millimetre of signing him. As for other recruits, we are in a situation where we probably need a coach as Ben will need to focus on his health and life in general, so once that's done the recruits will start falling into place. I dare say they will include a o/s player, who at this stage could include international experience if we wish.

Captain of India under 19s?

Are you slightly over reacting Tongs because I used Elthams pitch as an example or is it the fact that Elthams boring defensive game plan will become obsolete?

Overreacting? Its a very very pathetic excuse for not making runs. It has nothing to do with Eltham, or any other club. We are talking pitch sizes. You don't see me complaining when I play on a skinny pitch.

Back