2014/2015 Barclay Shield

"Improvise, Adapt & Overcome" - Gunnery Sergeant Thomas Highway from Heartbreak Ridge.

Cricket is a game of Skill & Patience. If there are negative tactics with the ball (like bowling wide with a 7-2 field) - you can either try and pierce the gaps, hit over the top or play across the line. Or you can chew up dots and try and 'out-bore' your opposition. Many bowlers (not all) like to hit the wickets and will eventually come back to your scoring zones.

The width of pitches is another variant that makes the game interesting and not the 'same ol - same ol' every week.
Like different bounce in new & old pitches, different bowling attacks, different ground sizes.
Next thing you know, we will want to cut each blade of grass the same height from one Saturday to the next in a Two-day game.

What about wicket-keepers standing up to the stumps and minimising the risk of wides by taking balls that would land to the far side of first slip if it travelled to the cordon ?

Sure - we're not playing Test Cricket - but it is a test of our cricket each week that makes the game interesting in my humble opinion.

Yeh, yeh, don't mention the war.

I notice the mid year comp seems to be fairly strong. The stars have entered a team, probably the best pre-season you could hope to do. Has anyone played in it? What's the standard like?
I've played in the winter comp. Against the backdrop of dropping numbers, this comp seems to be taking off. Admittedly, the division I was in was probably 70-80% Indian players, who have an insatiable appetite for cricket, and don't play a lot of AFL/Soccer etc.

The standard probably varies from Division to Division, an umpire tried to tell me our division and the one out west were the strongest, but take that with a pinch of salt.

There were some very good cricketers playing most weeks, who ply there trade in Subbie 1s or occasionally premier level but ultimately the standard was ordinary. Maybe like 3rds or something if I had to hazard a guess.

It was ok playing in May, and August if you made finals, but the middle of winter with a strong southerly, wet slippery grounds and showers is a good test of resolve! All the good grounds have football or other sports played on them, so we never had any clubrooms.

I was definitely better for the hit, particularly towards the end of the season which overlaps with pre-season, but have decided against playing this season because a break is a good thing!

Ok, interesting shortnwide. I briefly considered having a hit in it, but came to the same conclusion that a break is probably a good thing.

You dont need a winter comp to get ur eye in for next season, all u need is one good hit at the start of the season and u r back in form.

Last edited:
Most kids collect footy cards. This kid obviously collect Cricket club playing shirts. Good old "Money Man" Mitch Macauly gone to yet another club? With the number of clubs on his resume at such a young age. Not a good look.

No doubt a talent, but no doubt would prefer the highest bidder than play for the club.

Hope you've locked him away for a while, or it might be short lived.

Haha spot on loves to tell anyone who will listen how good he is too. Never seen a kid willing to burn so many bridges Either

Played his footy club off against another local club this year to up his match payments but is stuck in the 2's so currently being paid $0

I may have to come out of retirement!
If we need an ordinary spinner who can't bat very well and has a reputation as an ordinary bloke surely I already tick all the boxes & I'll do it for free

Haha is actually an even worse bloke than his reputation suggests

With the departures from lower eltham they must now be a big chance for relegation. Can really see them getting back up anytime soon either, with their B grade finishing last this season gone, player development will be tough.

Haha spot on loves to tell anyone who will listen how good he is too. Never seen a kid willing to burn so many bridges Either

Played his footy club off against another local club this year to up his match payments but is stuck in the 2's so currently being paid $0

I cannot comment on the kids' credentials as far as football goes, but in terms of Cricket you guys being a little unfair I think.
His resume says a number of clubs, but if you look, it appears most were junior clubs - playing in addition to the DVCA comp.
Had stints at Camrea (u15), Rivergum (u17) & Millpark (u17) - comps the DVCA didnt have available to play in at the time.

Senior cricket, from what I can see, he has only ever played at 2 clubs. Whittlesea and one year at Epping to try Barclay Shield. The reason he has come to us this year.
Has certianly not come for $$ or if he has, he will earn it like the rest.
I am not making any assumptions about his character. I do not know the kid apart from a conversation we have had about cricket.
So far to us he has presented well, and is keen to play at the highest level.
We see him as another young cricketer with some talent, who will hopefully help improve our onfield performances.

Ex Prez, have you chased after Mitch because your spinner Ryan Eley, who had a pretty good year for you guys (18 wickets @18), has flown the coup and has chased some dollars down at North Eltham?

I cannot comment on the kids' credentials as far as football goes, but in terms of Cricket you guys being a little unfair I think.

Not being unfair at all mate fact is he's a shit bloke no doubt a bit talented but the way he carries on you'd think he has played for Australia

Back