2014/2015 Money Shield

We've had our setbacks at greensy. We'll do ok though. Yes jephcott is trying his hand at district level. All the best to him.

player movements seem to be done and dusted for this pre season with little news of late,who's looking the goods?
Ok, I'll start talking from my ass.

In Money Shield I'd think sides around the mix would be:

Lalor
Banyule
NEW
________
Eltham
Heidelberg

Winner should come from one of them. Eltham still face a tough challenge of replacing Gibbs' output. But should still be around the mark, as they have been the last few years.

Lower will improve, but probably not enough to find another 6 wins, will be apart of that battle to stay up in the new grades, along with everybody else.

Fixtures are out. Any thoughts on camrea this year? Numbers have sifted the last few years and we have been training along side them and seem to have 6-9 ppl at training.some of whom are 50+

Fixtures are out. Any thoughts on camrea this year? Numbers have sifted the last few years and we have been training along side them and seem to have 6-9 ppl at training.some of whom are 50+
They've always seemed like a bit of a basket case since being in the DVCA. Even when they won money shield. It was off the back of a massive year from McGann, and contributions from the guys like Bubis and Berak (I assumed all three were being paid for their services) and some older club stalwarts, the lower grades looked like they struggled. Those guys have moved on, the stalwarts are older and they haven't had as much success with their other pros, and its hard to replace a guy like McGann (even though Ranatunga won the medal iirc).

I presume they're trying to rebuild through the juniors, but it'll take them a lot longer than clubs that have strong junior programs in place. 6-9 isn't a great turnout. Most clubs would be hoping to have ~20+ at preseason sessions, depending on number of sides and how many play footy etc.

Haven't read though to see if its been mentioned but is jack young moving on from the wanderers?
Off to Ringwood I think. Presumably wanting to have a crack before it passes him by.

Would sit somewhere between 3s and 2s I would have thought, good luck to him. Will be better for the experience, but a big loss for NEW.

What's going on with Greensy? Massive exodus of quality players they are my tip for relegation this season... almost feel sorry for them
I wouldn't feel sorry for Greensborough. Choosing not to re-sign players for extortionate amounts of money does not constitute an exodus. Most DVCA Clubs are acting like they are a Supercoach team. But it's not your money, it belongs to the Club. The amounts of money being spent on what is essentially "park cricket" is now out of hand and it has to end somewhere. For those clubs that think that they can go out and buy a Premiership, good luck to you. If you want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on cricket mercenaries, that's your choice. I would rather see that money spent on Junior cricket, on better facilities, on the members that actually turn up year in, year out and pay their subs, spend their money over the bar and are the life-blood of every club. Greensborough have drawn a line in the sand and said "No more". So it's not an "Exodus", it's a strategy. A conscious, sustainable, long term strategy.

Henkel, Maddox, Dulip, Meekins as far as i'm concerned have all left?
Henkel accepted an offer at Lower Plenty, an offer that Greensborough would not have matched.
Maddox was suspended and cleared from the club after a number of off-field incidents last season. Hasn't left the club, was shown the door.
Dulip was not resigned due to many factors. Was keen to continue but the club decided to go in another direction.
Meekins followed his friends to a rival club.
So that's two players that have technically "left the club". Not sure that constitutes an "exodus"

100% on the money, for lack of a better word. Local sport is riddled with stories of teams spending huge amounts of cash on mercanaries and when push comes to shove it backfires on them.
There is no written out plan for success but there history suggests that if you have the right mix of locally produced talent who want to play for a club, a good coach/captain to direct and guide the group and a sound club that supports the players with the best facilities and enviroment to play cricket in possible, you go a long way of winning a premiership.

With big signings and contracts comes even bigger expectation. Cricket is a hard enough sport to play as is let alone if you are not performing up to standards that your wage reflects, a wage paid for by your clubmen.

I agree for the most part. I think it's ok to go out and "buy" a cricketer, and I'm happy to see part of my money being spent on a coach and/or Captain. But get someone with a cricketing resume, who has performed consistently at a high level. The rest of us plonkers should be happy getting a game and playing with mates, and some of my highlights have been playing alongside these guys, who are a class above. I think if you're doing the basics right as a club, you won't need to go out and pay 4-5 cricketers. Also, if its a good club, your always a chance of keeping guys for free that you originally recruited. We've managed that.

I also wonder how many people are being payed at local clubs. I know at our club its almost nobody. But if you asked other clubs they'd say we're paying half a dozen. I think sometimes there's a little bit of that going around.

100% on the money, for lack of a better word. Local sport is riddled with stories of teams spending huge amounts of cash on mercanaries and when push comes to shove it backfires on them.
There is no written out plan for success but there history suggests that if you have the right mix of locally produced talent who want to play for a club, a good coach/captain to direct and guide the group and a sound club that supports the players with the best facilities and enviroment to play cricket in possible, you go a long way of winning a premiership.

With big signings and contracts comes even bigger expectation. Cricket is a hard enough sport to play as is let alone if you are not performing up to standards that your wage reflects, a wage paid for by your clubmen.

Well said Bad news bears, I agree with you completely. The problem is, when you start paying players, where does it end? There will always be a club that will pay more, so we see a constant procession of mercenaries move from one club, to the next, to the next and so on. If you want to play cricket for money, good luck to you. But putting your hand out for money to play Money Shield in the DVCA is a joke! Second tier, local cricket and we have clubs paying upwards of $20,000 to $30,000 on players, it's just lunacy! It's simply unsustainable.

John meekins has been a player of greensborough for well over a decade Surly more reasons behind him leaving than just following two mates?

Why does there have to be more reasons than that? If your closest mates left a club, is it not reasonable to expect that he may follow. You're looking for shadows that don't exist. John is still a much loved player and character at the GCC and he attended the recent Past Players Day at the Club. Everyone has to make their own choices in life. John made his and there were no hard feelings. The club wishes him all the best and he leaves with dignity and respect.

Gee mate just a basic question no need to get on your high horse!

I appreciate your question. I wasn't getting on my high horse, just outlining the facts. There are plenty of rumours and innuendo on this website, not too many facts. I just wanted to clear a few things up and offer some insight into what has happened. If I have caused offense, then I apologise, that was not my intention.

Back