2014/2015 Money Shield

All good no offence taken,things a side how's the punting going you backing a winner? Buying good horses?
Backing plenty of winners, but unfortunately am backing even more losers! ;)
Am breeding horses now rather than buying them. Just had a new foal born on the week end. Will be selling shares this time next year if anyone is interested?

Given the Greensborough link, and the fact that its a race horse, so you want it to be quick, I'd have thought "Hurricane Cunningham" would be a no brainer!
She is by Reward For Effort and her Mum was an excellent sprinter, so we expect her to be quick. I love how we have "Cunningham" and "No Brainer" in the same sentence! :D

Delegance - 4 time winner including wins at Flemington, Moonee Valley, Sandown and at the Warrnambool Carnival. She finished in the Top 4 in 15 of her 21 starts. Almost $250,000 in prize money. She was a quality mare
Yeah I worked out that was its name just seeing if you'd confirm it

For a bloke that has done an injury and can't play for this whole season lay off him you flog
Don't really see the relevance of his injury to my post to be honest. Just trying to link the topic back to cricket, given that this is a cricket forum as opposed to a horse racing/owners forum.

So what are your thoughts on the game of cricket atm? Apart from taking the piss out off Dylan
My opinion, fwiw, a lot of sides on a hiding to nothing this year. The sides that could realistically win it will be maybe: NEW, Eltham, Lalor, Banyule or Heidelberg.
The rest will be battling relegation.

Whittlesea will come in and fill out one of those bottom 4 spots, with the other 3 up for grabs.

Hasn't seemed to be too much recruitment in Money Shield, probably reflected the upcoming changes. This is contrast to Barclay where everyone is pulling out stops to stay up.

I know it would never happen, but I'd really like to see all the clubs within the comp suddenly stop paying players. Let's face it, there'd be almost no change because most of those who are making coin in this comp aren't good enough to play at higher levels, hence why they are kicking the weeds in the cow paddocks with us each Saturday arvo. It'd also sort out everyone's loyalties real fast.

Well said Bad news bears, I agree with you completely. The problem is, when you start paying players, where does it end? There will always be a club that will pay more, so we see a constant procession of mercenaries move from one club, to the next, to the next and so on. If you want to play cricket for money, good luck to you. But putting your hand out for money to play Money Shield in the DVCA is a joke! Second tier, local cricket and we have clubs paying upwards of $20,000 to $30,000 on players, it's just lunacy! It's simply unsustainable.

Greensborough wrote the book on paying and overpaying players. Abeyratne, Amarasinghe, Weerapurage, Liyanage, Butera ..... remember these guys from the last 3 years?? Implying that Henkel, Meekins, Maddox who played juniors at your club are mercenaries is funny. Paying players is fine, paying the wrong players as your club has done for many years will cause your heart and soul players to walk away. Keep blaming everyone else and enjoy your continued decline

Greensborough wrote the book on paying and overpaying players. Abeyratne, Amarasinghe, Weerapurage, Liyanage, Butera ..... remember these guys from the last 3 years?? Implying that Henkel, Meekins, Maddox who played juniors at your club are mercenaries is funny. Paying players is fine, paying the wrong players as your club has done for many years will cause your heart and soul players to walk away. Keep blaming everyone else and enjoy your continued decline

"Greensborough wrote the book on paying and overpaying players" - really? Greensborough wrote this book did they? What a ridiculous statement. Isn't it funny that the players that you have mentioned, most have been paid more money to go to another club. So if Greensborough overpaid, then what are their new clubs doing?
Paying players, at this level, is not OK in my mind. But that's just my opinion. You seem to have it all worked out though. You seem to know exactly who should and who should not be paid. Do you have a formula for this or is it purely a subjective opinion based on a whim?
Cricket is heading for some tough times. If you want to spend your money paying players, then good luck to you. Four Barclay Shield and four Money Shield Teams nominated three or less Junior sides for the coming season (U12's, U14's, U16's, U18's). Only 9 of the 28 clubs were able to nominate at least one side in each grade (U12's, U14's, U16's, U18's). Cricket has never had such tough competition for Junior players or for council funding. How many clubs in the DVCA are playing on sub-standard pitches and have poor training facilities? When was the last time that your club received substantial funding from your local council?
If you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend that everything is great, good luck to you. If you think "this is the way we have always done it and it's worked for us", good luck to you.
As Charles Darwin once said - "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change"

"Greensborough wrote the book on paying and overpaying players" - really? Greensborough wrote this book did they? What a ridiculous statement. Isn't it funny that the players that you have mentioned, most have been paid more money to go to another club. So if Greensborough overpaid, then what are their new clubs doing?
Paying players, at this level, is not OK in my mind. But that's just my opinion. You seem to have it all worked out though. You seem to know exactly who should and who should not be paid. Do you have a formula for this or is it purely a subjective opinion based on a whim?
Cricket is heading for some tough times. If you want to spend your money paying players, then good luck to you. Four Barclay Shield and four Money Shield Teams nominated three or less Junior sides for the coming season (U12's, U14's, U16's, U18's). Only 9 of the 28 clubs were able to nominate at least one side in each grade (U12's, U14's, U16's, U18's). Cricket has never had such tough competition for Junior players or for council funding. How many clubs in the DVCA are playing on sub-standard pitches and have poor training facilities? When was the last time that your club received substantial funding from your local council?
If you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend that everything is great, good luck to you. If you think "this is the way we have always done it and it's worked for us", good luck to you.
As Charles Darwin once said - "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change"

You can justify and deflect all you like. The reality is that most of the time as a club you have stuffed it up, either off the field or on it. The reality is that you didn't choose this path, it chose you. So the whole "we hate the process of paying players, we are all about the cricket" isn't fooling many people. Perhaps through adversity the club might find another way, but give the whole we wanted it this way crap a miss.

What are your solutions then Delboy? It's not that I disagree with you, in fact I agree with almost all of your post. The one thing I think Cricket governing bodies need to do, is get more exposure for the women. I liked the women's cricket being televised from the UK as it will appeal to girls to get into cricket. However, I wonder how many schools have cricket for their girls? When I was in Primary School, sport was always segregated by gender. Having schools allow girls to play cricket in summer might just encourage more interest in the sport and thus lead them to seek out a club.

What are your solutions then Delboy? It's not that I disagree with you, in fact I agree with almost all of your post. The one thing I think Cricket governing bodies need to do, is get more exposure for the women. I liked the women's cricket being televised from the UK as it will appeal to girls to get into cricket. However, I wonder how many schools have cricket for their girls? When I was in Primary School, sport was always segregated by gender. Having schools allow girls to play cricket in summer might just encourage more interest in the sport and thus lead them to seek out a club.

Do young students get enough exposure to cricket at schools?? Cricket Australia should be trying to get a cricket curriculum into schools, as part of P.E. for kids 9-12, and work with local clubs to try to link in milo and junior cricket.

My dad was a reasonable cricketer, but my first exposure to cricket didn't come until Grade 5/6 sport. It turned out I was a cricket nuffy and loved it. Which was just as well, because I sucked ass, and it is pretty disheartening as an 11 year old trying to play, because there's no 2nd chances batting.

You can justify and deflect all you like. The reality is that most of the time as a club you have stuffed it up, either off the field or on it. The reality is that you didn't choose this path, it chose you. So the whole "we hate the process of paying players, we are all about the cricket" isn't fooling many people. Perhaps through adversity the club might find another way, but give the whole we wanted it this way crap a miss.
So by your judgements, every team that doesn't win a Premiership in their A grade every year, then they have "stuffed it up" have they?
You can sit and pontificate all you like about your opinions and your judgements. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else. However, it is only an opinion and not a fact.
I was responding to comments made about my club and I came on here to explain what happened. Not justified, not blamed anyone. Just a simple explanation.
You have offered no food for thought, no content for discussion. Just a pot at my club.
I would love to enter into an interesting, intelligent conversation with you about the state of cricket, the DVCA and even the GCC. But I don't think that I am going to find to many intelligent observations here. Just another "keyboard warrior", sitting behind a screen, taking anonymous pot shots at people with ideas.

You are absolutely spot on Blackhawk. I think that Women's Cricket and Girls Cricket has to be the way forward. It's almost impossible to get Council funding unless their are juniors and/or girls/women involved at the club. However, we have found this to be somewhat of a lose/lose situation. We can't attract women to the club as we have no facilities for them. We have a very small toilet and no changeroom or showering facilities at the club. We can't get funding from the Council as we have no Women's/Girl's Teams at the club. We can't get women/girls to the club as we don't have the facilities......and so the issue tumbles around with no resolution.
I genuinely think that the way forward is to amalgamate sporting clubs. This has already happened in a number of areas. This involves creating a new identity, for example, the Greensborough Sporting Club. This would be an amalgamation of the footy club, cricket club and netball club. Then as a Sporting Club, you apply for your funding to cover all areas including women and children. I believe that Heidelberg have already taken steps along this path and I heard that Riverside have been attempting something similar (although I haven't had that confirmed).
This will pose issues as some people involved in the individual clubs will not want to lose their identity or give their power away to a larger group. But is it not better to survive and thrive as part of something bigger than it is to shrivel and die with your own identity?
It's a very interesting concept and It's the best idea that I have seen so far. However, one thing is certain, if we don't change and adapt, we will perish. For those that don't believe that cricket is in trouble, you really need to look outside of your club and see what is happening right across the country. The Junior numbers put forward for this coming season are a huge red flag. When you have 5 Barclay Shield sides that can't offer at least one side in each junior grading, then there is trouble ahead.
Juniors are dwindling across the competition. If I look at the last 10 years at Greensborough, we have gone from regularly having 7 junior sides every season. Down to 5 sides, then down to 3 sides and last year we couldn't put a single junior side on the park. After extensive off-season work, promotion and recruitment, we may be lucky to get 2 sides on the park this year. This is despite a very strong Milo Cricket program with 40-50 registrations and a successful T20 Blast program.
Granted that some of those issues were internal and we took our eye off the ball somewhat. But every club is guilty of that from time to time. But to go from 7 sides, which is essentially 80 kids, down to single figures, is alarming. If this was just isolated to the GCC then I wouldn't be so concerned. But after seeing the Junior nominations last week, this is a serious situation that is effecting everyone.
We need to take our club caps off and stop beating our chests and start looking at the sport and how we can restructure to remain competitive and successful. I would love to hear any ideas about how this can be achieved. We approached the DVCA this year about coloured shirts with names and numbers on them for all Junior Cricketers. I thought that the popularity of T20 Cricket and the T20 Blast may excite kids to want to play. If they can wear similar outfits to their heroes, then that may improve junior engagement. Is it time to look at T20 cricket for all Juniors up to U16's? Scrap the one day and two day games and make all cricket T20. We can then progress to one day and two day cricket from U16's onwards.
Any other ideas?

Back