2015/2016 Barclay Shield Thread

Eltham best grand final venue without doubt, surface not as good as a few at the moment but facilities and atmosphere are just as important. Won't be going to Mernda either. No seating, no shade, ground to big, wind will be howling and atmosphere will be zero. The Exec obviously haven't learn from the Lakes experiment. Be at lower with Brutal I think.

And what about the pitch at Mernda...?
5ft 8 wide at best, no aprons so some have to bowl from the grass... and a surface like no other in the comp.
Brown in colour like the old mats... Plays flat and low , bit like a turf wicket...?
Ball is stuffed within 20 overs...

The results over the weekend were, as they say, "good for cricket". Grand Final will be a ripper if Macleod's batsmen come to play rather than just chew up balls.

Whilst a team dropping $40k+ (surely?) on players sneaking into finals and being beaten first up should mean some serious soul searching goes on, more likely it will be navel gazing from what I saw late Saturday afternoon. Luke, Nick, Chris and Brent are all good guys, and I'm sure they're terrific clubmen as well, but in reality, Chris was the only one who even went close to justifying his pay packet this season. Less than 30 wickets between Luke and Nick means a very, very low ROI. Will the chequebook open again for a batsman or two next season? Nick Ross perhaps?

And the rest.................

The results over the weekend were, as they say, "good for cricket". Grand Final will be a ripper if Macleod's batsmen come to play rather than just chew up balls.

Whilst a team dropping $40k+ (surely?) on players sneaking into finals and being beaten first up should mean some serious soul searching goes on, more likely it will be navel gazing from what I saw late Saturday afternoon. Luke, Nick, Chris and Brent are all good guys, and I'm sure they're terrific clubmen as well, but in reality, Chris was the only one who even went close to justifying his pay packet this season. Less than 30 wickets between Luke and Nick means a very, very low ROI. Will the chequebook open again for a batsman or two next season? Nick Ross perhaps?

All great players, you'd be pretty confident that Nick would be better next season after a year on a new surface, too good a player not to be. Rozzy struggled big time his first season back from Carlton with the ball, then went on to average about 7 for the next 4 seasons, pocketing a couple of flags and a medal. I think Rozzy was a risk anyway with his body, he didn't have a great impact last season due to injury. If he gets it right though..........

Salmy clearly a class above. Scary to think he would be better again after a season on the syntho.

Whilst they have splashed some major coin to get them all together, as shortnwide said earlier, Riverside's problem was whether they could make enough runs to back them up, it was players 6-11 that are the issue.

Heard a rumour this was rozzy's last season and would be pulling the pin after this year, would be good if anyone could confirm if there's any truth to this

I'd suggest Salm has justified his pay packet. 420 @ 38 and 28 wickets @ 12. Would have to go close in the medal. As you'd expect from a guy who was in last years Premier Team of the year.

Agree with your point that their side is unbalanced. I'll ignore the 20+ incorrect predictions of made this season and leave the following below:

Cheers - Nostradamus
Almost identical results to Glen Turners 417@37 and 25@12.5.

I will be up at Mernda watching the Grand Final between the best 2 sides in the DVCA. Won't see me watching a couple of average sides going at it at Lower Eltham.

I will be up at Mernda watching the Grand Final between the best 2 sides in the DVCA. Won't see me watching a couple of average sides going at it at Lower Eltham.
As a Macleod person mate, I should hope you would be. As a neutral and after watching a bit of the Money Semi, I'll go and watch at Lower. Hope there's some positive cricket played at Mernda and none of this 108 dot balls in a row.

Outstanding season and will also go close. Would be a fitting reward for a guy who has been very very good for a very long time.
Unfortunately i don't think he'll win and more than likely will finish with his usual 10-12 votes. Agree been an outstanding performer over 14 seasons and is a genuine all rounder who can keep, bowl, bat and great catcher wherever he fields.

As a Macleod person mate, I should hope you would be. As a neutral and after watching a bit of the Money Semi, I'll go and watch at Lower. Hope there's some positive cricket played at Mernda and none of this 108 dot balls in a row.

I don't think I could let 3 balls go by without scoring, let alone 108. I heard they were 2/7 off 27 overs at one stage. The fact they got within 20 runs was staggering.

I don't think I could let 3 balls go by without scoring, let alone 108. I heard they were 2/7 off 27 overs at one stage. The fact they got within 20 runs was staggering.
Might have been worth making the trip just to see the looks on the faces of the Riverside folk having to witness that performance.

Might have been worth making the trip just to see the looks on the faces of the Riverside folk having to witness that performance.

Don't be too harsh on em. Rumour is that Research spent half as much as Riverside for the year , yet the second most of all the Barclay sides. ( and only just managed to avoid relegation. Not too sure which would have been more embarrassing....

Don't be too harsh on em. Rumour is that Research spent half as much as Riverside for the year , yet the second most of all the Barclay sides. ( and only just managed to avoid relegation. Not too sure which would have been more embarrassing....
Ahh yes, good old rumour. Spent what we have previous years. You know how it works......rumour minus 50 percent. Already recruited 2 possibly 3 for next season as well at no extra cost. In reality weren't that far off finals except for a few quirks in the seaso.

Im still amazed how this could happen, not much to add other than the comp needs more bats that can play an off side shot or courage. I didnt watch Riverside bat but i did venture down on day one when Diamo were batting and witnessed a total of 8 overs for 3 runs. Luckily i was having a punt on the races whilst sitting in the car but the money ran out so i decided to leave.

Sounds like finals nerves. I've seen it happen a couple of times to teams I've been against in the finals. One year in a grand final we bowled 52 overs before tea as they dug themselves a huge hole.

Any truth to the rumour that Macleod trained with bats this week in the nets??

Could they be going to play some shots against the most disciplined of bowling attacks. Surely 2/7 off 27 overs wont be repeated.

Any truth to the rumour that Macleod trained with bats this week in the nets??

Could they be going to play some shots against the most disciplined of bowling attacks. Surely 2/7 off 27 overs wont be repeated.
It will be interesting to see how Macleod approach it. Diamo too disciplined with the ball to just sit back and wait for an opportunity. Might have to show a bit of adventure and take it up to them. In saying that, I think any score between 150-180 could be more than handy.

Whoever bats first will win this game so I'm tipping Macleod to win the toss make 160 and win by 30 runs. Be interesting to see what crowd they get as only supporters of these club will travel out there,once again another ridiculous decision by the dvca.

Whoever bats first will win this game so I'm tipping Macleod to win the toss make 160 and win by 30 runs. Be interesting to see what crowd they get as only supporters of these club will travel out there,once again another ridiculous decision by the dvca.
Have to agree, 160 will be a good score and hard to beat and doubt the crowd will be that good as although playing surface is great viewing is ordinary.
Seeing Macleod played on the ground in round 11 that knowledge should give them the advantage to beat D'Creek.

Back