2015/2016 Barclay Shield Thread

Announced on Wednesday night that the third shield will go ahead next year as planned, and it will be named:

"The Mash Shield"
Will have a medal attached to it as per Money and Barclay. Any thoughts on who it should be named after?

Today's Melbourne forecast --> 37
Viewbank temperature at 1pm --> 37.8
Time when temperature was over 38 --> 1.30pm

Tomorrow's Melbourne forecast --> 41
Chance of getting a ball in before it hits 38 --> nil

Announced on Wednesday night that the third shield will go ahead next year as planned, and it will be named:

"The Mash Shield"

Now that's sorted (not that I agree with it, the concept that is, not the decision to name it the "mash" shield, been fantastic contributors to the DVCA), any danger all clubs can have their 2s aligned in a corresponding comp to their senior side?

I don't think the DVCA executive have covered themselves in glory with this heat out.

It is already over 38 in Viewbank, and was always expected to be in the low 40's today, yet the day hasn't been called off at 11.45.

There is no cool change forecast. The DVCA executive is just messing everyone around. Making them drive out to games.

Lift your game, DVCA executive.

I don't think the DVCA executive have covered themselves in glory with this heat out.

It is already over 38 in Viewbank, and was always expected to be in the low 40's today, yet the day hasn't been called off at 11.45.

There is no cool change forecast. The DVCA executive is just messing everyone around. Making them drive out to games.

The real joke is there being a heat out rule for senior cricketers at all. I don't care about people driving out to games. I mean it's not like we all had anything else planned to do during Saturday afternoon, but come on, I'm an adult and quite capable of making my own choices. I play cricket and I understand it's a summer game, surely that falls under voluntary assumption of risk. Fact is, more cricketers are injured by the cricket ball each year, than have ever been injured by the air temperature, yet I don't see everyone introducing a softer ball.

The real joke is there being a heat out rule for senior cricketers at all. I don't care about people driving out to games. I mean it's not like we all had anything else planned to do during Saturday afternoon, but come on, I'm an adult and quite capable of making my own choices. I play cricket and I understand it's a summer game, surely that falls under voluntary assumption of risk. Fact is, more cricketers are injured by the cricket ball each year, than have ever been injured by the air temperature, yet I don't see everyone introducing a softer ball.

Get your club to put in rule change proposal and have it voted on at the next DVCA AGM.

Agree Toddy, with temp at 36 at 10am and 37 at 10:45am and with no change forecast before 41 deg. common sense should have dictated call it before 11am as done in the past. Not only would it have saved players going to grounds but would have avoided those games that actually started !!!!!!
Maybe get some umpires to read the rulebook in the 3 weeks off as that is embarrassing.

Despite it being a pain in the neck I think the comp made the right call yesterday. Being Day 2 it had to be treated similar to a wet day. Give the game a chance to begin then call it off.
In saying that, once its 38 what real difference is it at 40?
Do the 2 (next year 3) Shields play on and let the lesser grades abandon their games?
Do we look to move the start time to 11am early in the week to insure blokes can adjust other commitments?
Tough one for those making decisions.

Well start at 2:30 or 3, finish at 8 and hope the temp starts to drop by 4-5....6 or one half dozen though in the end I think.

Well start at 2:30 or 3, finish at 8 and hope the temp starts to drop by 4-5....6 or one half dozen though in the end I think.
I cant agree, games start at 1pm excepting the Twilight round for Barclay and Money.
The heat rule is a good rule. It was put in place by the DVCA and one of their better rules.
What is lacking is common sense from the DVCA.
Saturday should have been called off by the DVCA due to adverse conditions. Not their fault as they dont control the weather.
What they have to be mindful of is the reprecussions of both older and younger guys playing in extreme temperatures. Its ok for guys to say they will play, but rules are rules, if its over 38 degrees then thats it and Saturday was exactly that.
The DVCA stuffed up and owe the the playing population an apology!!

People also used to think that blokes giving their mrs a clip every now and then and not letting aboriginals the right to vote was somewhat acceptable... Get with the times mate we are playing park cricket, playing in 40 degree heat isn't fun for anyone. You really think putting anyone at risk of heat stroke or heart attack is worth a game of cricket?

People also used to think that blokes giving their mrs a clip every now and then and not letting aboriginals the right to vote was somewhat acceptable... Get with the times mate we are playing park cricket, playing in 40 degree heat isn't fun for anyone. You really think putting anyone at risk of heat stroke or heart attack is worth a game of cricket?

Really, did you just equate physical violence and the restriction of civil liberties to playing cricket when it gets a bit hot? It's just not relevant.

You can get heat stroke or be dehydrated at 30C, it doesn't have to be 40 or over. I know, I suffered it once because I didn't drink enough before the game. You're not just going to keel over and die of a heart attack because you're playing a sport in hot weather. Actually, it's quite the opposite. In the UK, they found that heart attacks went up 53% in winter and there were twice as many heart attacks per day in January (their winter) than in July. The cold is far more dangerous than the heat.

You are far more likely to suffer a serious injury or death due to the ball or your actions on the field, than you are to die of a heart attack. A while back they did some investigation into cricket injuries and in Australia, there were 24.2 injuries per 10,000 playing hours. Just this year, I've seen; stress fractures, one torn hamstring, one strained hamstring, two stuffed backs, a broken arm and a fractured eye socket, the latter of which could have been a life threatening injury if it had struck just an inch back.

I am unaware of any player in the DVCA dying of a heart attack brought on by playing in hot weather. However, I think it's safe to say that before the heat rule, players weren't dropping off the perch on any type of regular basis due to warm playing conditions. If we are so concerned for player safety, then why do we stop with the heat rule and not continue and implement a helmet rule for all batsman? Being hit in the head and seriously injured or killed, is far more likely than dying because of ambient air temperature.

Playing in 40 degrees is a completely different comparison to getting hit in the head. Whether you wear a helmet or not is your own individual choice, playing in extreme weather is not, the whole comp is affected by it. I think the comp made a sensible decision to call it off. Sure most of us would have gotten through it ok, but the comp has to cater for all individuals as IT is park cricket. Not to mention it can have complex carry over effects on a person's health, not saying they are just going to roll over and die but it can have repercussions for them in the distant future. One of the aims of this game is to promote safety and wellbeing of the individual and the wider community and the comp should be encouraging this and did that on the weekend.

No it's not. They are both game related and one is clearly more dangerous than the other, yet there seems to be no concern for the one that's more of a risk. Let's talk complex carry over effects and skin cancer. Perhaps there should be a sunscreen rule too? If we are as serious about safety as seems to be promoted, surely we can't let senior players go out in the sun without sunscreen on, considering 2/3rds of Australia will be diagnosed with skin cancer by the age of 70 and 95-99% of skin cancer is caused by sun exposure.

Personally, I think people have been bombarded by the media regarding how "bad" and "dangerous" hot weather is, mostly with regard to perpetrating the gigantic fraud of global warming. The reality is, you have more chance of being killed while driving to the cricket ground, than you do of dying because of ambient air temperature during a game.

Back