2015/2016 Barclay Shield Thread

Tongs

This is the thread for all things Barclay Shield, good luck to the clubs competing in the grade.

who cares we know whose gonna win this year

I think there'll be more interest in who gets relegated seeing Creek and Riverside are lock ins to play off in the GF ( with Creek winning). One big club will fall and I'm predicting Lower Eltham,Op and bund United all to go.

I don't see Riverside as a complete lock for the flag, unlike most. Don't get me wrong, I still tip them to win it, but Diamond Creek who have been very strong for a few years, won the flag last year, and have also recruited extremely well. As have Research for that matter. Both of whom could easily play off in the Grand Final. I am hearing whispers that Macleod could also have a handy recruit or two.

I think its going to be a very interesting situation at both ends of the ladder this year.

I don't see Riverside as a complete lock for the flag, unlike most. Don't get me wrong, I still tip them to win it, but Diamond Creek who have been very strong for a few years, won the flag last year, and have also recruited extremely well. As have Research for that matter. Both of whom could easily play off in the Grand Final. I am hearing whispers that Macleod could also have a handy recruit or two.

I think its going to be a very interesting situation at both ends of the ladder this year.
Absolutely no team is a lock. Riverside have recruited well, but if they play a side in the semi and that side puts on 100+ look out.

Bundoora vs Rosanna
Bundoora United vs OPSF
Diamond Creek vs Plenty
Macleod vs Lower eltham
Mernda vs Epping
RECCC vs Riverside

Premier: Diamond Creek

Relegated: Riverside and two others..............

I'll state the bleeding obvious and say it was a great first up win for the RECCC boys yesterday. First up, thanks to the Riverside boys for making the effort to be part of the Ben Cookson tribute prior to the game.:thumbsu: As for the game itself, it was probably the first time in a long time that we have produced a consistent competitive effort in a game. We were probably assisted in Rossy suffering what looked like a hamstring and not able to bowl and Salm and Austin still bowling that turf length which allowed batsmen to wait for the line to use the pace, or for the over pitched delivery to over compensate. Five guys getting 2 wkts each and 20yo newcomer making 82 opening and thriving off the pace, which allowed Turnz to play a little unbeaten cameo and Shagga not required to bat. They'll be harder to beat as the season goes on and we are fortunate to have had them early I think.

Anyone from Mernda or Bundoora want to give us a review of their new pitch from the weekend?

Bundoora - Yulong Reserve - Saturday - 10/93 v 8/90 - make of that what you will...

Sunday played Vets there myself.
Found the pitch played very slow, ball held up in the pitch a little, had to wait for the ball to come on.
Bounce was noticably lower though, less tennis ball bounce and more truer...but definitely lower.

Pitch was only laid Thursday prior to game so we need to give it a few weeks...

The new stuff is pretty much the same as what's in Cutting Edge at University Hill. It's really good to play on after years of these bloody trampolines.

Well that was an interesting experience yesterday. Watching one side put on a sustained display of pressure bowling and flawless fielding to dismiss a side for 92, which included a 7th wicket 50 run partnership........then watch what I would of thought was near implausible and see the same thing happen again and leave the visiting side with a 23 run lead. Not complaining about the end result, but geez I don't think I've ever seen such onesided dominance of ball over bat ever. Let's see what next week brings.

Diamond Creek were 5/14, then 9/86 chasing 148 and they get the job done against Rosanna. Wow. Huge effort by Mick Hanson batting at 10 (45*) and Campitelli batting at 11 (19*)

With the competition being so competitive at the top of the table, I wonder if that loss is going to come back to haunt them later in the year.

Back