2nd Test: Australia vs. India in Sydney

2nd Test: Australia vs. India in Sydney

Okay guys, the 1st test is over and Australia is 1-0 up. Now the second test starts in Sydney on the traditional start of 2nd January (they call it the new year's test). Before I start talking about this one, I'll give a player rating out of 10 for each player for the boxing day test.
Australia
Phil Jaques: Surely his question in the line-up is not a question now. 2 half-centuries on a pitch that wasn't the easiest by any means to bat on. Rating: 8/10
Matthew Hayden: Simply sensational. Superb century in the 1st innings. Only mistake he made was the soft way he got out in the 2nd innings 3 short of another half-century. Deserved man of the match. Rating: 9.5/10
Ricky Ponting: Rare, rare double failure from the skipper, showed he is a mortal. I'm predicting he'll hit back hard in the 2nd test, which won't be a good sign for India. For his captaincy in Melbourne, deosn't quite get a nought Rating 1/10
Mike Hussey: A low score in the 1st innings and a start but didn't quite go on with it. Brilliant in the field though, saving at least a couple of boundaries and running out Harbahjan Singh in near the end. Rating: 4.5/10
Michael Clarke: Set up Australia to declare with a monster lead in the 2nd innings after looking uncomfortable in the 1st. His excellent fielding at cover to keep Laxman on strike led to his dismissal and a catch to himself in the 2nd innings. Rating: 7.5/10
Andrew Symonds: A couple of starts in both innings, will be disappionted he didn't go on with it. Very good with the ball in the 2nd innings, especially when he changed to spin bowling to trap Dravid in front and could have had a couple more with more luck. Rating: 6.5/10
Adam Gilchrist: Like Symonds, a couple of starts without going on to a big score, but magnificent with the pink gloves. His awesome batting overlooks the fact he is also a brilliant keeper. Rating: 7/10
Brad Hogg: I was 1 who for at least this test called for 4 quicks, but the spinner had a solid test return. The Indians looked completely baffled, especially with his wrong un and the flipper, it's nice to see the old flipper, not too many people have it in their armoury these days. Contributed with the bat in the 2nd innings and expect him to do more of that as well if he's in the side. Rating: 7/10
Brett Lee: Since he's become the spearhead of the side, he has shown he is the total package. Enough said. Rating: 8.5/10
Mitchell Johnson: Some wickets in "junk time" has almost certainly saved him from a possible (though I wouldn't say probable) demotion in Sydney. Needs to continue his form from late in the 2nd innings, Shaun Tait is breathing down his neck. Rating: 5/10
Stuart Clark: Continues to astonish everyone. Just slips under the guard and I'll rate him just slightly ahead of Lee in Melbourne. Also did well with the bat as a no.11 in the 1st innings. His place was under scrutiny, but here's a question, can you have Lee, Tait and Johnson in the same side? Aren't they just a bit too similar? Clark's completely different. Rating: 9/10

Re: 2nd Test: Australia vs. India in Sydney

And now for the Indian team:
Wasim Jaffer: An ordinary debut test in Australia. Especially in the 2nd innings, having just been caught off a no-ball earlier in the over, to be dismissed like that just a few balls later (not to mention giving Gilchrist a record), just sums up India's inept batting perfromance. Rating: 1/10
Rahul Dravid: I said Hayden was simply sensational, Dravid was simply shocking. Rating: 0/10
VVS Laxman: Got a couple of starts which when you consider that India needed a big score, you could say was almost unforgivable. Rating: 5/10
Sachin Tendulkar: Got out twice to a cut shot, the 2nd innings in particular a soft dismissal. Looked good against Hogg like he does against so many spinners. However, if he and Laxman especially in the 1st innings got 100s, India would have been in the game. Also should have run out Hussey but he wasn't the only 1 who was ordinary in the field. Rating: 6.5/10
Sourav Ganguly: 2 40s in both innings, admittedly fell to 2 ripsnorters from Hogg and the 2nd innings the game was pretty much over. Okay with his eamers in the 1st inngins too. Took a catch in the match but his typically laconic efforts in the field (one of course that slid under his legs for a boundary), plus typically lazy running between wickets, casually sliding his bat in the crease and nearly getting runout, and in my opinion was the 1 to blame for getting Harbahjan runout. In an ordinary fielding team, he must be the worst fieldsman. Therefore his rating must go down considerably: Rating: 3/10
Yuvraj Singh: Some say he's overrated as a test player. Well he scored hardly any and was ordinary in the field for someone I thought was probably the best fieldsman. Is he up to it at test level? Rating: 0/10
MS Dhoni: Not a memorable day with the bat, but good with the gloves. His sharp stumping of Jaques in the first innings was the start of a rare good period for India. Rating: 5.5/10
Anil Kumble: India's best bowler and best tailend batsman, but his defensive captaincy was a blot on a good match. Wasn't helped though by his nohoper fieldsmen, nor the batsmen. Tried hard against overwhelming odds. Rating: 7.5/10
Harbahjan Singh: Outspoken figure who wasn't great with the ball, but did well when slowing down. His dismissal of the dangerous Hayden was a crafty piece of work. Didn't do much wrong. Rating: 6/10
Zaheer Khan: Very good with the ball in the 1st innings especially, though overstepped 13 times, including the brilliant ball to get rid of Symonds. Slack in the field too, remeber he was the 1st fieldsman out of 2 in cover to misfield a ball? Rating: 7/10
RP Singh: I thought he was alright in this test actually. You often see really inexperienced players get overrawed, but he bowled better than his figures suggest. Also did some okay things in the field. Should be better for the experience. Rating: 6/10

Finally, to the Sydney test. You'd think there would be no changes to the Australian side, bar injury of course. Only slight question would be Johnson vs. Tait. For India, they just have to play Sehwag, you can't have 2 slow batsmen against Australia. If, as I think, that Sehwag comes into the side, who will go out? It's out of Jaffer, Dravid and Yuvraj isn't it? Out of the 3 mentioned, Jaffer should be safe, he's been in form and would be good foil for Sehwag at the top. Now for Dravid and Yuvraj, Yuvraj was in good form in the series in Pakistan. So could you imagine India dropping Dravid? I say why not, he's been hopelessly out of form and you've got to ask, if Tendulkar is not the same, is Dravid? And do you reckon India can bounce back? Lastly, go Australia, but I was anticipating a really exciting series. Yes this is in Australia but remember that England got thrashed in the first ashes test in 2005? Never say never!

If a change is made to the side (unless it is forced too by an injury in the next few days) I will have no faith in the ACB. Johnson bowled well enough in the second innings to retain his place and so did Hogg. Don't change a winning formula I say.

Nice little write up Tigers.@|

well it's Tea time on Day 1

and Australia are struggling a touch at 214/6, but due to a currently unbroken 80 run partnership by Hogg and Symonds they are looking a little bit stronger.

A couple of bad umpiring decisions so far to add the drama - Benson giving Ponting not out after a flick down leg side was taken by the keeper. Then Benson giving Ponting out LBW after REPLAYS showed he had got a thin inside edge. Without the replay it was plumb as you like, so no dramas with that decision. But then Old Man Bucknor gave Symonds not out to a clear edge to the keeper, it was loud, there was deviation and Bucknor was the only one who didn't hear it.

Hoggy is on 48*
Symonds on 39

Punter was dismissed for 55
Hussey 41

RP Singh has 4/56
Harbhajan Singh 2/55

interesting stage of the game too

what a comeback by the aussies!

Was clearly out with the caught behind, looked to be out on the stumping that went to the third umpire. I was amazed with the poor quality of the umpiring today. Ponting and Symonds both out and not given, and then Ponting given out LBW when he clearly hit the ball.

I was actually quite enjoying watching the Indians rip through the Aussies because I want a decent series, or at least a decent game for a change. While Aussie domination is great, it's getting bloody boring to watch!

Some really bad umpiring today on both sides of the fence. The Symonds caught behind and then the stumping really hurt India whereas some of the other decisions didn't have as much influence on the game.

India bowled pretty well early on though and get Australia to 6/134. They then took their foot off the pedal and it cost them with Symonds and Hogg totally destroying any chance of the match being in India's favour after the first day. Since the loss of Gilchrist, they've added 1/242 to be 7/376 at stumps and in yet another superior position, quite a remarkable achievement considering where they were at earlier in the day. Symonds will also have an opportunity for a lot bigger score with Brett Lee still at the crease and then Mitch Johnson and Stuart Clark to come, both of whom have first-class 50's at state level.

India will be very disappointed with their efforts, Australia could have been all out for less than 200 but the Indians slacked off with lazy bowling and Kumble showing he is still very much in the "learner" stage of the captaincy. They will have to prove themselves with the bat tomorrow when they get that opportunity.

Australia will be looking to continue tomorrow morning, if they score at the current run-rate, they could potentially be 500 at lunch and after the position they were in earlier today, it shows why they are the best cricket team in the world.

man, India just can't get rid of the tail.

spoke too soon. Johnson goes for glory and holes out deep. don't ask me what position it went to! :p

Australia were bowled out for 463. Brett Lee hung around to make 59 and Mitch Johnson scored a brisk 28. Stuart Clark made a duck with Symonds not out on 162. Anil Kumble took the last three wickets today to finish with 4/106.

India in reply are 1/28. Jaffer fell early again, to a Brett Lee yorker. Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman are currently at the crease.

India batted very well to finish at 216/3.

Laxman made 109 and was just out before stumps caught by Hussey off Hogg's bowling. Dravid hung around for four hours for a half-century that bored everyone at the ground to sleep.

Hopefully the Aussies can get on a roll tomorrow and bundle them out.

Laxmans innings was awesome to watch. The couple of late wickets really put the game back to even, maybe slightly in the Aussies advantage!

Can anyone tell me why the Indians are selecting Jaffer over Sehwag? Has Sehwag's form been that poor recently? Last time he was in Aust he played brilliantly.

India are 7/386, Hogg got rid of Ganguly for the third time this series and then Brett Lee got the wickets of Yuvraj, Dhoni and Kumble very cheaply.

Tendulkar is still there though on 84 with Harbhajan Singh also providing some fight on 25 not out.

India still trail by 77 runs.

India were bowled out for 532, thanks to a great innings from Tendulkar and some resistence from the Indian tail. Harbhajan Singh made 63 with RP Singh scoring 13 and Ishant Sharma making 23. Tendulkar remained 154 not out as India gained a lead of 69.

Australia faced a small, testing period before stumps but batted sensible not losing a wicket in the five overs they faced. Hayden and Jaques saw the Aussies to 0/13 at stumps, a deficit of 56.

So, India won Day 3 and it's put them in front overall but they'll have to go through the Australian batting line-up tomorrow if they want to have a shot at winning. If Australia can bat into Day 5, the game will most likely end in a draw however Australia have that never say die attitude and will no doubt be still thinking about trying to win the game.

Australia are 2/150 currently, a lead of 81 runs.

Jaques fell to a poor shot before lunch for 43 and then Ponting was out almost immediately for one, falling yet again to Harbhajan Singh.

Hayden is not out on 65 and Hussey is on 29. Hussey just passed 2000 test runs in only his 20th test. Hayden also appears to be injured and is limping quite noticably.

those are some nice tower cranes at the SCG. are they renovating part of it? my company insures those (tower cranes, not the SCG)!

Bluto11;200907 said:
those are some nice tower cranes at the SCG. are they renovating part of it? my company insures those (tower cranes, not the SCG)!

They sure are renovating. All through the footy season, that part of the ground was nothing more than sand and machinery, now it's gone from sand and stuff to have some sort of structure. Capacity is down about 8,000 at the moment with the renovations going on but after the construction is done, they should be able to fit more people in and with some new facilities.

Australia reached 4/282 at stumps, Hussey is on 87 and Symonds is 14 not out. Earlier, Matt Hayden was out for 123 after playing a questionable reverse sweep off Kumble which was hit straight to Wasim Jaffer at backward square. It was a poor, unneeded shot and brought an end to Hayden's otherwise chanceless and hard fought innings. Then Kumble found himself on a hat-trick after Michael Clarke edged his first ball to Dravid at first slip.

Australia consolidated though and lead by 213 runs with one day remaining. If the Aussies want to equal their winning streak record, they will have to declare sometime tomorrow. The question is, when will that be? Some sort of target will have to be set and one that India will be able to relaistically chase but also have enough time for Australia to bowl them out. All will be revealed as we head into an exciting final day.

Back