4 ways bowlers can prevent shoulder injuries

Re: 4 ways bowlers can prevent shoulder injuries

it felt like an initial short sharp pain coming from the centre all the way up the column till to where it meets the rib cage.

i was having a poke just trying to remember where it was and it actually hurts a touch when i poke it, more of a dull ache really. ive been nervous to put effort into bowling since that happened

How long ago did it first start to hurt?

How does it feel when you perform the basic crunch?

Do you feel a lump/bulge in this area at all?

now that i look it may be slightly bulging whenever i clench the muscles but that may be something else.

What do you mean about how long ago. when i hurt it in the game it was on the 28th of October, last year, so a bit more than 2 months.

And i do feel pain when i do the basic crunch. funny, i never realised it felt that bad

You are a bit too far away for me to say definitely but it sounds like [and I am 99% sure] you have inflamed or ruptured your rectus abdominus. This usually [but not always] occurs at the lower end though, which is where the doubt comes from. It can happen through weight lifting, throwing, bowling etc.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, you should rest it until no pain is felt. Hard I know during the season but if not, the pain will not subside. At least ease off the bowling.

When the pain goes, I shall send you a rehabilitation programme.

If the bulge is, or becomes more, noticeable, I suggest you see your GP to eliminate a hernia. This type of hernia is very uncommon in a guy your age though.

how long should i stop bowling, or take it easy, till the pain goes away? because i had a rather long break over christmas

TBH, if you feel pain in anything, you should stop doing it. It is one of the great things about the human body; pain is the way your body has of telling you that something is wrong and your body knows best, trust me. Generally, ignore your body at your own peril :D

If you respect your body, it will go on working for you, for many years to come. Disrespect it and you will end up in your 20s/early 30s injury ridden, beyond repair and good for little.

OK, there endeth my sermon :laugh:

So basically go with the flow. It hasnt troubled me in recent times. Thanks Liz :D

No worries James. Ensure a 'pure' bowling action; any lack of biomechanical technique can cause muscle imbalances, which in turn cause injury.

Rotational push ups - these blighters? :eek:hmy:

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=qHQ_E-f5278"]YouTube - Rotational Push-ups[/ame]

Hi Virender,

When Jimmy33 posted this vid on 3 January David's response said it all:

Great link but I would point out a small technical error in that video. The chap is rotating his shoulder more than his hip which can be problematic.

To avoid this, 'stack' your feet on top of each other as you lift you hand like this: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/abdominal_exercises_side_bridge.gif

Keep everything stacked; shoulders, hips, knees, ankles and it is a great exercise ;)

someblokecalleddave said:
Rotational push ups - these blighters? :eek:hmy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qHQ_E-f5278

Virender - I'm doing these and I'm liking them, they're not as difficult as they look and I reckon they're far easier than press ups, I can currently do about 10 fairly easily. I'll let you know how I'm doing in a couple of weeks and whether I'm up to 20 in a spell. At the moment I just do 5 or 10 when I've got a free moment, so in a day I might knock out 30 or 40.

What do you reckon to these things - I've mentioned these before to David and he didn't have a clue what I was on about (I think they're a bit old skool - I've had mine for more than 25 years). They can be used as in these diagrams and all sorts of different ways - over your head behind your head/back etc. But having seen these round the world clips using a weight - I use these bars and do the same exercise - do you reckon that's beneficial?

http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/exercise_292_Around_the_World.html

Interesting.

What that guy in the yellow t-shirt is doing is a much lighter version of a very old school strength feat: steel bending. This is where a man takes a steel nail (sometimes a horseshoe or bar) and bends it with his hands so both ends almost touch. Its a total upperbody exercise which heavily uses your hands forearms chest lats and abs in particular, however it is also very stressful on the forearm bones elbows and shoulders. With the bar you would just bend it overhand and underhand(upside down) for reps i suppose.

I would think it would be very beneficial for the chest.

I dunno about using it for the exercise shown in the link: id just use the barbell plate.

Cheers I'll take that on board - what sort of weight would you use with one of those things and are they expensive?

not sure i understand:

what sort of weight: You mean the 'round the worlds'

are they expensive?

Dave, the two principles are totally different.

The point of Round the World is to mobilise your shoulders. It looks really easy but a lot of guys have trouble nailing it. From the top of the head to the feet stay static; there is no swaying at all. The only movement is from the shoulders; working the teres major, anterior, posterior and lateral delts. It also works the subscapularis, supraspinatus, infraspinatus and teres minor and gives the obliques a good workout too. You can use any weight to suit you but remember to go both ways ;). It is not an exercise for muscular hypertrophy so a medicine ball would be good. Anything from 5-10kg [3kg for guys under 18]. This exercise would be great as a warm up before a match to prevent shoulder injuries. You do not need to use a weight in this instance; a rugby ball would be great.

The bendy bar is usually used for isometric contraction, although it can be used in a concentric and/or eccentric manner for rehabilitation. It is quite good for 'definition' but I have to be honest, it is not terribly functional, generally, for cricket.

So there's no benefit from compressing the bendy bar and then holding it together as you do the round the world type thing?

I've just uploaded a video - when it's viewable I'll link here.

someblokecalleddave said:
So there's no benefit from compressing the bendy bar and then holding it together as you do the round the world type thing?

The problem [I have] with guys doing this is loss of technique. As you know, I take the shoulders extremely seriously :D and I would not like to see anything compromise maintenance in this area. If you feel you can hold the contraction whilst going Round the World, do so. However, do bear in mind that resistance is applied differently and it can cause blood pressure issues. As for benefit, there is no benefit ;)

Back