All Time World Test Spud XI

Re: World's Worst Team of the Decade

Otto Nothling – The man who was better than Bradman.

Otto is the man who replaced Bradman. He never played international cricket again: just the one test.

Kenny Meulman – Blink and you miss my international career.

Like Otto Nothling, Ken Meulman is another member of the Australian one test club. He played his one test against New Zealand in the 1960s. Australia won comfortably by an innings, meaning Ken just had the one innings to prove himself. Ken scored a first ball duck and never played at that level again.

Rick Darling – Hard to swallow

In a 1979 test, Australian batsman Rick Darling nearly died when a ball from English speedster Bob Willis hit him. No, it didn’t break his skull, or any other part of his body. The impact of the ball resulted in the gum Darling was chewing to get lodged in his throat. Luckily, one of the English fielders, John Emburey, took prompt action and managed to dislodge the gum and save Darling’s life, but not his batting career.

Trevor Chappell

Glenn Trimble – Son of Sam.

Glen Trimble never got past the lofty heights of his One Day International selection, but it was a cracker of a performance. He averaged 4.0 with the bat – a snick through slips - and bowled 4 overs for 32 runs. So wide and full, the umpire finally felt sorry for him and stopped calling them

Paul Wilson – 12 overs of glory.

A string of horrid injuries to the Australian fast bowler battery, in the Australian 1999 tour of India, allowed an opening for this big strong fast bowler. Wilson was a greatly feared West Australian bowler, but in his first test he broke down after just 12 overs. He never played for Australia again.

Scott Muller – Big, Strong and on the outer.

Big Scotty Muller scored six runs and was never dismissed. He also took seven wickets and was part of a record consecutive amount of Test wins by the Australian cricket team - Like it matters.

Chris Mathews. Big, fast raw-boned bowler. Often the slip fieldsman were at more of a risk at getting hit then the stumps.

Greg Campbell. I think he was picked on the '89 Ashes tour to give Boony a Tasmanian friend. Somehow he managed to play a few test matches.

Wayne Holdsworth. He got wickets in 3 or 4 consecutive matches, all of a sudden he was no longer considered as merely a fast (and crap) state bowler, but also good enough for an Ashes tour. Sanity prevailed and he never played a test.

gandalf;387631 said:
Saqlain Mushtaq - your comments about his impressive record are largely irrelevant since most of that record was achieved in the 90s. Then along came the doosra, and with it the 2000s, and everything went downhill for poor Saqlain.

ditto for Kalu and even Moin - their best cricket was well and trully behind them once the 2000s arrived - but both had big reputations.

I see where you're coming from but it doesn't mean they are awful cricketers, just that they hung on too long. Plenty of players remain past their peak often souring their reputations, that's sport though.

The 2000 criteria is misleading and we should go to all time. Also, it's about their whole career not one period of it. There are plenty of average and worse players who hung in there, often keeping out those with more talent but you have to look at the whole picture as there are those with poor records who brought something else to the teams they played in.

Take Mike Brearley, the guy played as a bat, never scored a ton and averaged just over 22 in 39 tests. Hardly outstanding but no-one would ever accuse him of being a 'spud' because he brought more to the team than runs.

I just think you have to look at the bigger picture, take into account longevity as well as their records or any personal feelings to them.

The 2000 criteria is misleading and we should go to all time

Then I suggest you start a new thread with that criteria - since this thread is specifically for this decade.

gandalf;387745 said:
Then I suggest you start a new thread with that criteria - since this thread is specifically for this decade.

I started this to go along with the Test Team of the Decade and ODI Team of the Decade threads, thought the other end of the spectrum might work.

Thought it would be easier for a shorter period of time because few people (definitely nobody on this site) would have seen cricket in the early 1900s so judging spudness is not easy.

Agree there though.

All Time World Test Spud XI

As thought of by mas and requested by gandalf.

Pick player's who's career was way too long, even if they played only one Test.

It's not a 'who could have done well', but rather a 'who should have done well, but didn't'.

Could somebody move across Cold Case's post on the second last page of the other thread into this one with all time Australian Spuds?

Re: All Time World Test Spud XI

Honestly, I don't think this concept has enough interest to sustain two threads on virtually the same topic.

Threads merged. Post lineups for whichever you prefer.

Back