All Time World Test Spud XI

Boris

World's Worst Team of the Decade

I can see this not working, but I will have a crack at it anyway. I have done this with a couple of friends personally, thought I'd see if people would be able to do it here.

The idea is to fill up a full World XI of players that screwed up big time and no longer play international cricket. Trying to fill every spot as in a normal team is the tough part.

It's not players you dislike or players that you don't think should be playing for a particular country, but ones that really missed an opportunity.

My first input would be the spin bowler's position of Bryce McGain, great bowler domestically and if he was younger he would probably still be playing for Australia. But after that one game of his career against South Africa he went for over ten runs an over for quite an extended time and really made one big cock up that led to him playing his last game ever for Australia on the same day.

Let's see if this works. ;)

Re: World's Worst Team of the Decade

interesting exercise though very difficult. I'm thinking England's Chris Read for wicketkeeper - though mainly because he's famous for ducking that yorker while batting...

I'm mainly thinking of players from the 90s that were mistakenly given a second go in the 2000s - Matthew Elliot and Phil Tufnel come to mind.

Truth is there are probably an endless number of one game wonders that I have never even heard of - but I guess to make this fun, you would try and focus on players who had big lead ups with lots of anticipation - who fell flat on their face when given the opportunity.

Oh and Ronnie Irani for comic relief

Mohammad Ashraful -plenty of ability but has never really improved. For a player that is seemingly undroppable he contributes very little to the side. Only really in the team because there is no one else (or thought to be no one else) to take his place.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person in the world with other country's failures, so I will stick with Australians for now:

Maybe Brad Hodge could get a look in with this team? Scored pretty much nothing when he came into the Test team, apart from a double hundred. That is very one hit wonderish, also when you consider when he played quite a few ODIs only to average very little and make no real impact.

For years people were saying he should have been playing Test/ODI cricket and how he is the most unlucky player in Australia - but the fact of the matter was is that when he did come into the side he made a big blunder and didn't do much. Anti climactic to say the least. No doubt he's a good batsman, but he did stuff up. He is my number 3 batsman of this side.

I think you need to set some limits, if only to avoid the one hit wonders etc. Hodge may have been poor but then again he only got 6 tests with 1 ton and 2 half centuries. There are far worse players out there who have played more games, take Floyd Reifer for example. Same number of games as Hodge but an average of 9.25.

Lets say 15 games minimum - that translates to about 18/24 months on the circuit and enough time to really see if the player is going to sink or swim.

One for the bowling stocks - Mohammad Sami. Début in 2001, 33 tests, 81 wickets at 51.37. Only player to have taken 50 wickets at an average of 50 or more, that is special! Nowhere near test class but still gets a game (as recently as the series against Australia). Has to be a shoe in for the opening bowler slot.

I will take that advice.

Included in this:

- Minimum of 12 Tests UNLESS they have only played 2 or less (to include the much hyped one hit wonders that have only played one game)

It's not so much they have been terrible, but more the media hype around them in the lead up. If Watson failed as an opening batsman for example in the Ashes then the media would have almost killed him and the selectors.

Quite happy to take advice on how to make a proper team though. Add what you want to it.

I think you would be better starting off with just an Australian one otherwise it would be just full of players from Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. And I don't care that McGain only played on game he has to be included :D

My Australian team of spud Test cricketers that I've seen play (at least at some level..)

Matthew Elliot
Chris Rogers
Mike Veletta
Michael Bevan
Brad Hodge
Greg Blewett
Tim Zoehrer (wk)
Nathan Bracken
Bryce McGain
Joe Angel
Shaun Tait

12th man Dan Cullen

Tough on Zoehrer but I had to pick a keeper.

Sorry Boris but I had to ignore your 2 or 12+ Test rule, too hard :)

Kram81;386543 said:
Sorry Boris but I had to ignore your 2 or 12+ Test rule, too hard :)

All good :D

Kram81;386543 said:
My Australian team of spud Test cricketers that I've seen play (at least at some level..)

Matthew Elliot
Chris Rogers
Mike Veletta
Michael Bevan
Brad Hodge
Greg Blewett
Tim Zoehrer (wk)
Nathan Bracken
Bryce McGain
Joe Angel
Shaun Tait

12th man Dan Cullen

Tough on Zoehrer but I had to pick a keeper.

I would probably agree with that side. Tough on some, but it is true that they didn't really go as they should have done. Only a couple of years ago I would have included Katich and Watson in this side, so goes to show that not all keep on failing. If North keeps up his bad form long enough to get dropped (if he hasn't already) could include him in that as well.

I'll do the England flop team.

1. Rob Key (c)
2. Ian Ward
3. Ravi Bopara
4. Darren Maddy
5. Ronnie Irani
6. Chris Adams
7. Chris Read (wk)
8. Richard Dawson
9. Saj Mahmood
10. Darren Pattinson
11. Monty Panesar

Reserve: Gary Pratt

Bit harsh on Ravi Bopara. Still very young, has some talent and did creame 3 tons (was it against the South Africans or Indians before the aussie made it over there?)

Richard Dawson was an A Class spud alright :D

D.K;386595 said:
Bit harsh on Ravi Bopara. Still very young, has some talent and did creame 3 tons (was it against the South Africans or Indians before the aussie made it over there?)

Richard Dawson was an A Class spud alright :D

'Gainst the windies.
he used to be my hero - being from essex, especially after he hit a double ton in a one dayer.
Guess ill fall back on Cooky, thers less chance of him being dropped, being the FEC and all....

Also, no chance of Liam Plunkett getting a look in? I remember the 06/07 ashes only to well. Rather him in than Pattinson. He wasnt really test standard and was only brought in for one game, not really his fault and i think given the circumstances he acquitted himself alright

mas cambios;386532 said:
I think you need to set some limits, if only to avoid the one hit wonders etc. Hodge may have been poor but then again he only got 6 tests with 1 ton and 2 half centuries. There are far worse players out there who have played more games, take Floyd Reifer for example. Same number of games as Hodge but an average of 9.25.

Lets say 15 games minimum - that translates to about 18/24 months on the circuit and enough time to really see if the player is going to sink or swim.

One for the bowling stocks - Mohammad Sami. Début in 2001, 33 tests, 81 wickets at 51.37. Only player to have taken 50 wickets at an average of 50 or more, that is special! Nowhere near test class but still gets a game (as recently as the series against Australia). Has to be a shoe in for the opening bowler slot.

Oh, but I WANTS MY MICK LEWIS!:D

I should give some reasoning.

1. Rob Key (c) - The epitomy of the term, "one hit wonder". He hit 221 against the West Indies and then averaged 25.00 for the following 12 innings of his Test career.

2. Ian Ward - His top score was 39 (in his debut innings). He averaged 16.12 and that is awful for an international opener.

3. Ravi Bopara - Maybe this one was a slight dislike too but Bopara just doesn't seem international quality to me. His average (33.46) is mediocre and his record of 3 centuries in 15 innings is alright but he just couldn't play the Australian attack during the summer.

4. Darren Maddy - His test career produced three poor innings which averaged 11.50. He is much better suited to the one-day game and made the England squad for the first World T20.

5. Ronnie Irani - Maybe I have something against Essex players but Ronnie Irani was not only crap, but a tosser too. Strictly speaking, his last test was in 1999 vs New Zealand but he played in the '03 World Cup. He had a crap average as batsman (his primary purpose) and a half-decent average for a batsman in the 30 overs he bowled (37.33).

6. Chris Adams - Awful batting average, poor bowling average. He is just not international quality. Head coach at Surrey now though :D

7. Chris Read (wk) - He averaged 18.94 over his 23 innings and was made famous (or infamous) when he ducked a yorker (?!). The ultimate insult was being replaced by Geraint Jones!

8. Richard Dawson - His Test bowling average of 62 covers almost 200 overs. 'Nuff said.

9. Saj Mahmood - A guy whose birth was probably a no-ball. He has pace and just about nothing else. Reminds me of a guy at Surrey.. :/

10. Darren Pattinson - Maybe his inclusion is slightly harsh but he was around for one Test, before disappearing off the radar completely.

11. Monty Panesar - He had a wonderful 2006 but he just doesn't cut it for an international side. Fortunately, we have Graeme Swann!

Boris;386531 said:
I'm not the most knowledgeable person in the world with other country's failures, so I will stick with Australians for now:

Maybe Brad Hodge could get a look in with this team? Scored pretty much nothing when he came into the Test team, apart from a double hundred. That is very one hit wonderish, also when you consider when he played quite a few ODIs only to average very little and make no real impact.

For years people were saying he should have been playing Test/ODI cricket and how he is the most unlucky player in Australia - but the fact of the matter was is that when he did come into the side he made a big blunder and didn't do much. Anti climactic to say the least. No doubt he's a good batsman, but he did stuff up. He is my number 3 batsman of this side.

I'll play your game Boris. In fact, I'll go further and do the work for you.

At first read I thought you may have had harmless intentions, but I should have realised it was another cynical way to bag some more Victorians. I hope it proves to be therapeutic for you.

Hodge scored pretty much nothing when he came into the Test team, hey? Apart from 60 on debut, a 40, another 60, oh and the 200no ... what more would you like from someone in six Tests? Even if he'd made a duck in every other innings (never managed any of those), he'd still have come out of it better than the majority of those who have ever been given a cap.

But I've got a team to pick for you:

Matthew Elliott
Chris Rogers
David Hussey
Andrew McDonald
Ian Harvey
Phil Emery*
Clint McKay
Shane Harwood
Mick Lewis
Colin Miller
Brad Williams

* Sorry, he's not Victorian and he's outside the last decade, but our 'keepers don't get chosen to play for Australia and I've not known a dud gloveman from anywhere else in that time.

No need to reason Saj Mahmood. He is practically the epitome of the term scatter gun. Worst bowler ever to put on whites for england. maybe not in stats but jesus he was frustrating

If we are including Brad Hodge then I will add Phil Hughes, averages about 20 outside of the Durban test

Very funny to see Chris Rogers named, West Australians are still upset that a player left when they werent giving him a game? Maybe they should take out their frustration on Tom Moody because no decent cricketer will stick around a state if they wont play him when he should be pushing for International honours

Ravi Bopara would definately make the side as well, tough choice for wicket keeper, I would choose Tim Ambrose although Graham Manou is very lucky to miss out

Harsh selection on Patto when there are plenty of other fast bowling options for England

I dont know much about duds outside of Australia and England, although I reckon you could name a Worlds Worst XI just from Kiwis :D

mas cambios;386532 said:

I think this is the key. If I was to pick a "worst team", I think I'd be picking players who played relatively extensively for their sides when they should have been dropped. So you don't necessarily have the worst players, but rather the players that lowered the standard of their team by the most, for longest.

Otherwise you'd just end up with a bunch of Bangladeshi and Zimbabwean one Test wonders.

I'll have to have a think about this. Got to say Sami was the first name I thought of though - he's the definition of sustained mediocrity. Continually gets selected for Tests based on ODI form and Imran Khan's love affair with him.

Caesar;386652 said:
I think this is the key. If I was to pick a "worst team", I think I'd be picking players who played relatively extensively for their sides when they should have been dropped. So you don't necessarily have the worst players, but rather the players that lowered the standard of their team by the most, for longest.

Spot on. There are also players who are more than the sum of their parts. For example, Chris Harris, poor stats but actually added something to the team when he was paying.

Another one for the bowling stocks - Paul Wiseman. Just a nothing cricketer really, 25 tests with 61 wickets at 47.59. His profile even mentions his lack of variation and high economy rate as if it's a good thing!

Alright, my spud team:

1. R. Key
2. I. Ward
3. M. Ramprakash
4. M. Bevan
5. P. Utseya
6. G. Jones (wk)
7. D. Mascarenhas
8. M. Sami
9. S. Cook (Anyone remember Simon Cook? Destroyed New Zealand once, never seen again)
10. M. Lewis
11. B. McGain

I know not all are from this decade, but it's still a pretty crap side:D

Back