Aotearoa In Africa 15

futureblackcap

In hindsight. It must be embarrassing for NZ cricket, that Lyth scored a ton off of them? :oops:
Other than Boult there really wasn't much to shout about in terms of NZ bowling during the England tour. The performance against Zimbabwe is also showing there's not much depth being selected (yes, we do have depth).

Well we did lose but Zimbabwe batted brilliantly and deserved the victory. Kane is a machine and Taylor isn't bad either!

After looking promising in the World Cup, Zimbabwe seem to be on the rise.. Similarly to Ireland, they need to find some more quality bowlers though.
We bowled like c*** just as we did in England. I think we're paying the price for dropping Edgar as a selector. There's no way Sodhi had done enough to be selected again, likewise McClenaghan should not be in ahead of Wheeler.

Apologies for hijacking the Ashes thread.

We bowled like c*** just as we did in England.

I actually thought our bowling was pretty good overall.. That pitch didn't suit our style of bowling at all. It only suited spinners and slow mediums like Elliott.. Sodhi was the only one that I would say bowled genuinely badly and Henry still can't bowl at the death..

Zimbabwe did bat brilliantly though and credit when it is due.. Williamson summed it up brilliantly in the post-match interview.

Last edited:
  • Sun Aug 2 (50 ovs) 09:00 local (07:00 GMT | 19:00 NZST)
    1st ODI - Zimbabwe v New Zealand Harare Sports Club LIVE
    31.png
    4° C
  • Tue Aug 4 (50 ovs) 09:00 local (07:00 GMT | 19:00 NZST)
    2nd ODI - Zimbabwe v New Zealand Harare Sports Club LIVE
    32.png
    6 - 23° C
  • Fri Aug 7 (50 ovs) 09:00 local (07:00 GMT | 19:00 NZST)
    3rd ODI - Zimbabwe v New Zealand Harare Sports Club LIVE
    32.png
    6 - 23° C
  • Sun Aug 9 (50 ovs) 13:00 local (11:00 GMT | 23:00 NZST)
    Only T20I - Zimbabwe v New Zealand Harare Sports Club LIVE
    N/A
  • Fri Aug 14 (20 ovs) 18:00 local (16:00 GMT | 04:00 NZST 1d)
    1st T20I - South Africa v New Zealand Kingsmead, Durban LIVE D/N
    N/A
  • Sun Aug 16 (20 ovs) 14:00 local (12:00 GMT | 00:00 NZST 1d)
    2nd T20I - South Africa v New Zealand SuperSport Park, Centurion LIVE
    N/A
  • Wed Aug 19 (50 ovs) 12:30 local (10:30 GMT | 22:30 NZST)
    1st ODI - South Africa v New Zealand SuperSport Park, Centurion LIVE D/N
    N/A
  • Sun Aug 23 (50 ovs) 10:00 local (08:00 GMT | 20:00 NZST)
    2nd ODI - South Africa v New Zealand Senwes Park, Potchefstroom LIVE
    N/A
  • Wed Aug 26 (50 ovs) 12:30 local (10:30 GMT | 22:30 NZST)
    3rd ODI - South Africa v New Zealand Kingsmead, Durban LIVE D/N
    N/A

I actually thought our bowling was pretty good overall.. That pitch didn't suit our style of bowling at all. It only suited spinners and slow mediums like Elliott.. Sodhi was the only one that I would say bowled genuinely badly and Henry still can't bowl at the death..

Zimbabwe did bat brilliantly though and credit when it is due.. Williamson summed it up brilliantly in the post-match interview.
Then as a quick you drop your pace and find your line and length for those conditions, we didn't do that so it is poor bowling.

What is Sodhi doing there and how come Astle was overlooked? Sodhi has a lot of potential but throwing him into games when he is clearly not ready does not help.

Anyway, rant over. Always been a fan of Zimbabwe and it's great to see then knock over one of the test sides.

Last edited:
What is Sodhi doing there and how come Astle was overlooked? Sodhi has a lot of potential but throwing him into games when he is clearly not ready does not help.

Sodhi bowled really well last night but I am also a fan of Astle. Astle should get a go in our Test side while Ish still develops his game..

Still reckon Sodhi has a good future internationally but he needs to nail out his kinks at the domestic level.

Sodhi bowled really well last night but I am also a fan of Astle. Astle should get a go in our Test side while Ish still develops his game..

Still reckon Sodhi has a good future internationally but he needs to nail out his kinks at the domestic level.
He found his length and showed what we all know he can do but as we both agree he really needs more FC game time.

NZ loses the series 2-1.

Quite a few positives and things to learn from the series. Latham is probably the biggest positive. Shows we have quality back-up in one-day cricket once Bmac retires.. Milne bowled some really good fast spells and deserves his place as our third seamer.

I think we really missed a trick with picking Munro over Neesham. Munro is an not international quality all-rounder and the Hairy Javelin fills the roll of finisher and expert dibbly dobbly. I think we missed not having another fast bowler last night.

I thought McClenaghan was unlucky to get dropped. He seems to have the worst luck of any of the bowlers when it comes to dropped catches and he seemed to be getting back into some form when they replaced him.

It seems a bit too early for Wheeler although he showed some promise.

Sodhi is still too inconsistent with the ball to be our number one spinner. Will be good when Santner comes back in to put pressure on Nmac.

Lastly, Ronchi's international career is over... An average of 11.16 in his last 24 matches is not good enough! Get Watling in there and give him a good crack at one day cricket.

In regards to mitch McClenaghan. I think as a bowler you make your own luck. He bowls some really great balls but its mixed in with a spell load of short loose balls that leak runs. If he slowed himself down a touch does anyone think it might help him gain some consistency?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Back