Ashes 2010/11 Dates announced

el-capitano

Ashes 2010/11 Dates announced

Bring it on! :D

5-0 to the Aussies? ;)

The first test will be in Brisbane on November 25-29, 2010.

Tests in Adelaide (December 3-7) and Perth (December 16-20) will follow the opening match at The Gabba, with Melbourne's traditional Boxing Day fixture (December 26-30) and Sydney's New Year Test (January 3-7) completing the schedule.

The schedule for the one-day series between the two countries will be released at a later date.

England will play three first-class matches before the first Ashes fixture and another between the second and third Tests, with further details to be announced.

Ashes fixtures for 2010-11 announcedCricket - News - Yahoo!7 Sport

Re: Ashes 2010/11 Dates announced

Three first-class games before the start of the series? Interesting.

How long will the first class games be though?

I don't mind that England have 3 first class games, it means we can have a good look at them before the real stuff begins. Also, once again its going to be a pretty compressed program, that fixture list is nearly identical to the one here in 06/07.

1 x 5 day first class game and 1 x 4 day first class game plus a List A 50 over game I would have thought to have been plentiful preparation.

You don't what to spend yourself to early, because rest assured, some of these state sides will look to bat England into the ground.

I want them to play as many as possible.

Means that the Domestic sides can thrash them and the International Side can do even worse :p.

Queensland always do better against other international teams then they actually do against other states. They have a wonderful record against a lot of them. Especially Sri Lanka, they have never lost one.

Given the recent allocation of Tour matches then it should be Victoria and South Australia playing 2 of those first 3 games, although next years Champions League could mean Victoria couldnt fit the game in which would be a shame

The 3rd against a true Australia A would be good up at the GABBA as well whilst the 4th will likely be WA or a Chairmans XI before the WACA test

I do hope though they are all a minimum of 3 days, but the first 3 should all be 4 day games, let Hodgey and White show the Aussie selectors what they are missing out on when they each hit double tons :D

The Offical Ashes Thread.

I thought it was time to get this thread up and going all the way until the end of the Ashes next year.

Both Australia and England have seemingly settled teams. We all know what they are.

As this is an Australian board I think it's only fair we outline how we are going to win the urn back.

The Cornerstone

I have said previously, England are set on 4 bowlers, which plays to our advantage. The 4th test thrashing at headingley will pay dividends more then a year on come the 2010/11 Ashes because England won't go with 5 batsmen again. That is what will win us back the urn.

I will go down on record now as saying that England's 4 man attack that starts at the Gabba won't finish the series. The Australian batsmen will either belt them into submission forcing England selectors to change the bowling or they will become victims to the hard Australian wickets. Probably both. Bookmark this.

Anderson, Onions and Broad won't withstand 5 test matchs in 6 weeks, that is a given IMO. They are lightly built, all very lean with very little in the way of muscle.

Compare that to Australia's bowlers in Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Bollinger and Watson. All of them have strong upper body strength and a strong physique - a product of playing in Australia.

Australia will aim to take Swann to the cleaners, as they have many other over-seas spinners who have come to Australia, this in turn will force Strauss to overbowl his seamers.

It is now Australia who has the all-rounder in Watson, who IMO will be man of the series.

My Tip:

Australia 3 - 1

Gabba: Australia Win.
Adelaide: Draw
Perth: Australia Win
MCG: Australia Win
SCG: England Win.

I really wasn't that impressed by England in South Africa, South Africa had a modest bowling lineup outside of Steyn yet they dominated England.

The Ashes are coming home.

Every day that passes is a day closer to that urn returning to Australian hands.:D:D:D

Re: The Offical Ashes Thread.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385831 said:
As this is an Australian board I think it's only fair we outline how we are going to win the urn back.

Oh there are a fair few Poms here to spoil the inmate party :)

Anderson, Onions and Broad won't withstand 5 test matchs in 6 weeks, that is a given IMO. They are lightly built, all very lean with very little in the way of muscle.

You say that and must automatically assume we will play four main bowlers (those three seamers and Swann). We will probably take Sidebottom too, although it's too early to speculate about the squad as there is a whole season of county cricket to come yet. Who knows, maybe the erratic Surrey pace pair of Chris Jordan and Stuart Meaker could be in the squad?! I will hope so, but Jordan only bowls short balls and Meaker couldn't hit a barn door so a vast improvement is required of them.

Compare that to Australia's bowlers in Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Bollinger and Watson. All of them have strong upper body strength and a strong physique - a product of playing in Australia.

I've seen little of Bollinger but, in England, Johnson was absolutely dreadful in the first two tests. Siddle was mediocre, but Hilfenhaus was quite good. I can't remember that many overs from Watson either. Obviously that all changes with being in Australia, a place where the pitches are notoriously flat and easy to bat on (Adelaide is an extreme case). Anderson's bowling relies heavily on swing so he might be troubled and Broad is still unreliable, in my view. Onions could have some success though because he bowls in a similar way to how McGrath used to bowl (granted McGrath was much more talented but it's all there for Onions).

Australia will aim to take Swann to the cleaners, as they have many other over-seas spinners who have come to Australia, this in turn will force Strauss to overbowl his seamers.

If that happens, then England are screwed. If it doesn't happen, then England have a big chance. Swann isn't the number five Test bowler in the world by chance. He is the best off-spinner in the world (the rankings don't say it, but I think it) and he is miles better than Nathan Hauritz.

I have to be optimistic and go 2-1 England or 2-2 draw and England regain the Ashes. That said, it is going to be very hard to regain them on flat pitches and against arguably the world's best team.

Every day that passes is a day closer to that urn returning to Australian hands.:D:D

We'll have to see :D

My prediction is 2-1 to the Aussies, if not 2-2. I don't think England will have quite enough on the whole to defend the urn in these conditions over here, especially since by then after a quiet series in NZ to iron out any kinks everyone should be fit and ready, from young to old, to allow full range of selections. The home side will always have the advantage, but when it's Australia at home that advantage is almost doubled.

Going to be a hard fought series nonetheless, but too much rests on Swanns hands, and like LtD said, it's not often away spinners suceed in Australia.

I thought it was time to get this thread up and going all the way until the end of the Ashes next year.

Both Australia and England have seemingly settled teams. We all know what they are.

The Cornerstone

I have said previously, England are set on 4 bowlers, which plays to our advantage. The 4th test thrashing at headingley will pay dividends more then a year on come the 2010/11 Ashes because England won't go with 5 batsmen again. That is what will win us back the urn.

I will go down on record now as saying that England's 4 man attack that starts at the Gabba won't finish the series. The Australian batsmen will either belt them into submission forcing England selectors to change the bowling or they will become victims to the hard Australian wickets. Probably both. Bookmark this.

It is now Australia who has the all-rounder in Watson, who IMO will be man of the series.

My Tip:

Australia 3 - 1

Gabba: Australia Win.
Adelaide: Draw
Perth: Australia Win
MCG: Australia Win
SCG: England Win.

I really wasn't that impressed by England in South Africa, South Africa had a modest bowling lineup outside of Steyn yet they dominated England.

The Ashes are coming home.

Every day that passes is a day closer to that urn returning to Australian hands.:D:D:D

Awesome post. 100% agree.

It's a pretty simple tactic to me, attack Swann and force Strauss to overbowl his seamers and eventually, little by little, those England seamers will fall by the waist side.

Well we saw how England went at Joburg when SA finally pulled their finger out and went after Swann - he went at 4 an over and the rest of the attack fell away.

I believe it's an area Australia can exploit.

Of course it could have been alot different if not stuck with Darryl Harper in the 3rd umpires box

Back