Ashes 2010/2011: England in Australia

You don't like White because he's Victorian. Perhaps we need to cast our minds beyond issues such as partisanship and think of just who would be the most suitable person in charge. Really, it has to be someone who is a capable captain ahead of which state they are from, or their perceived credentials as the next best candidate for a spot in the line-up.

Yeah ok :rolleyes:

**** me I've said many times I want C.White as Australian T20 captain. The second bit is a bit rich..

I reckon Clarke went well today, seemed pretty positive out there and less reactive than Ponting. The real worry atm is of course is his abysmal form with the bat..

Should be a good days play tomorrow, Australia need early wickets obviously. Beer went ok today and will have a job to do along with the quicks, Smith might get a few overs as well.

I don't like Victorians either, (I appreciate you clearing that up. Nothing like calling a spade a spade.;)) but there is more to it than that. The point is White does not by any stretch of the imagination deserve to be in the First XI. (How so? His FC average is comparable to any other candidates and he stood out above all others against this opposition in the PM's XI game. Scrutinise the facts without prejudice - you may be surprised!) He is not one of the best six batsmen (in ODIs, yes, Tests, no) and you could argue against his captaincy as well. I don't get to watch him play much but would it be possible that his captaincy is so good because he gets to play in the best domestic team in the country? (Are they? You said it. Well you certainly can't hold it against him, can you?) Much the same as Ponting is statistically the best captain ever because he played in such a good team (Is he? More wins maybe, but more losses too). I've never really seen White as a brilliant captain, but as I said, I haven't seen much of him on the field (Enough said), only highlights of the games (which strangely enough don't show captain's tactics) (Funny about that).

There is obviously something good about Clarke, and he has been groomed for the spot since the first day of his career. (Same can be said of White, who was made captain of his state in his early 20's after debuting at age 17.) I think his ODI tactics are as good, if not better, than Ponting's and in T20s, contrary to your thoughts, I think he has been quite brilliant (Really ... how so?). He may be nowhere near one of the 11 best T20 players but his captaincy of them has been pretty darned good. (But shouldn't the point be that he doesn't "by any stretch of the imagination deserve to be in the First XI"?)

I don't like Clarke as a person (I don't even know him), but I think he will do just fine. He might not be a Monty Noble or a Mark Taylor, but he's as good as any captain going around these days (Because he's the only one you know - except for Chris Simpson of course, but that's another story). I can't name a great international captain of the last 5 years, mostly because it has become so easy to pull them apart. (Smith, Strauss, Dhoni, ... they've all beaten us. Fleming.)

Australian's pick their captain out of he best 11 players, not pick the best captain for the other 10 players. North no longer gets selected (probably never will again), Katich is injured, White's not in the best form, nor has been in the Test team for over 18 months and for only one series, which leaves only Clarke, Haddin and Hussey (unless you think somebody like Watson could captain). (No, I most certainly don't. What I'm getting at is perhaps it is time we sought a captain from outside of what the selectors keep giving us - although I'd accept Hussey or Katich in the interim. It's an important job, not to be given away lightly.)

Interestingly, Terry Alderman commented today how he saw Clarke get into his car and drive away shortly after play was called off on Day 1. He thought it very strange, as you would think the skipper might have other duties to perform and be the last to leave. No doubt other people to meet, fish to fry, etc.

Australia starting to look shot now with Cook passing 150 and the Sherminator pretty set. Need some luck to go our way to get a wicket or 2 and quickly..

He might have, but not enough! The replay was inconclusive, so we can't really complain. If that's the nearest we come to getting a break-through, we need to do a bit better.

Although these referrals have perhaps gone against us on balance, most have been our own fault (no-balls) and you'd have to say the process has worked out quite well. It has helped to eliminate the shockers, and seems to be pretty fair.

Pardon my ignorance, but does the "snicko" not come into calculation with referrals? If not, why not?

He definitely hit it albeit very faintly, there was a noise the instant the ball was next the bat.

I heard they don't use sniko because it takes a couple of minutes to come through, which is ridiculous because they spent ages looking at hot spot over and over which has been proven to be not 100% as well.

Soon comes the test for the batsmen. It is time to show some discipline and at least replicate the batting performance they have just had a very close view of. That would be nice wouldn't it?
Who honestly does not expect Australia to lose badly from here? There will be a continuation fo good bowling from England and poor shots from Australia. There will be continued faith placed in ability that has been found sadly wanting for some time. There will be calls after the game for change but in the chasm which is between now and our next test what is going to happen?

England all out for 644 in their first innings! Australia needed 364 in their 2nd innings then make a score to make England bat again! But at this moment Australia are 5/167 its game over! Our batting is getting better BUT our and bowling needs to improve!, improvements need to be made, ASAP!!!

7 for 176 now oh dear what a shambles, looks like it was a good thing that WIN has been off the air out here all day :oops:

edit - tv finally back on..

England all out for 644 in their first innings! Australia needed 364 in their 2nd innings then make a score to make England bat again! But at this moment Australia are 5/167 its game over! Our batting is getting better BUT our and bowling needs to improve!, improvements need to be made, ASAP!!!
Our batting is getting better????????????? hahahahahahaha. Even in the game we won we only managed around 600 in 2 innings.
Lets not paper over the grand canyon size cracks in the batting no matter how bad the bowling was. We have just been beaten in EVERY aspect of the game.

Yeah we were outclassed and beaten in every aspect by a better team. We have to fix these "grand canyon size cracks" very quickly to become the dominate test / ODI team we were a few years ago!

Yeah we were outclassed and beaten in every aspect by a better team. We have to fix these "grand canyon size cracks" very quickly to become the dominate test / ODI team we were a few years ago!
I like your enthusiasm, but it's going to take a very long time to get back to dominating test cricket... if we ever do.

It takes the right mentality, experience and talent within the players. This squad looks incredibly lacking in basic discipline. I'm not sure where they are going as they are not going to win against decent teams very often.

Yeah I agree, and "it's going to take a very long time to get back to dominating test cricket... if we ever do" I head Michael Clarke has retired from Twenty20 cricket, Cameron White is the captain with Tim Paine as vice captain. Good choice,

Thats a start for Tim Paine being Vice Captain in the Twenty20 team, I guarantee in the near future Tim Paine will have a permanent spot in the Australian team whether it be Twenty20 / ODI or test matches, And he will also be the Australian captain..

So the tests are over and its onto the one-day and T20 matches. The first of two T20's is on Wednesday with the second on Friday. Then there will be seven ODI's to finish off the summer which will be over quite early this year although the World Cup will follow soon after.

This is really the last chance for both sides to pick a squad from with the World Cup starting next month believe it or not. Hopefully Australia can find a settled side to pick from and retain some pride after losing the Ashes on home turf.

So the tests are over and its onto the one-day and T20 matches. The first of two T20's is on Wednesday with the second on Friday. Then there will be seven ODI's to finish off the summer which will be over quite early this year although the World Cup will follow soon after.

This is really the last chance for both sides to pick a squad from with the World Cup starting next month believe it or not. Hopefully Australia can find a settled side to pick from and retain some pride after losing the Ashes on home turf.

I'm looking forward to watching the two Twnety20 matches and the 7 ODI matches.

I agree, I hope that Australia pick a squad and keep with it for all the ODI matches, And yes these matches will also help us pick a squad for the world cup...

Our batting is getting better????????????? hahahahahahaha. Even in the game we won we only managed around 600 in 2 innings.
Lets not paper over the grand canyon size cracks in the batting no matter how bad the bowling was. We have just been beaten in EVERY aspect of the game.

I don't intend to spend the rest of my life harping on about what should have been, but these cracks were evident ages ago, and CA & selectors chose to ignore them. We were exposed against lowly Pakistan a year ago, but because they laid down (deliberately or otherwise), we were all prepared to accept everything was okay when it was absolutely not. May every level of cricicism be cast our way, the best thing we can do is learn from it and do something to restore our reputation and help resurrect the profile of Test cricket.

England won the first T20 on the final ball with debutant Chris Woakes getting a single to win the game. Earlier it was the Shane Watson show scoring 59 off 31 balls including 26 off one Graeme Swann over and then taking 4/15 off four overs with the ball to almost beat England by himself and claim the Man of the Match award. Dave Warner scored 30 but with the exception of Watson the remaining batters struggled against disciplined England bowling which was lead by Michael Yardy with 2/28 from his four overs. Chris Woakes and Tim Bresnan claimed one wicket as Australia stumbled to 4/157 after looking like getting 200 at one point. Swann went for 40 from his four overs.

In reply, England lost constant wickets but managed to stay at the required rate for their entire innings and that saw their tail able to hit the winning runs. Eoin Morgan scored 43 with Ian Bell and Kevin Pietersen making quickfire scores of 27 and 24 to help England stay within reach. All the Australian bowlers took wickets but Watson was the star with 4/15, Brett Lee and Shaun Tait proved very expensive and the all-out pace attack failed with both bowlers going for 10 runs an over or more.

So England take first blood, the next T20 match is on Friday at the MCG.

Australia won the 1st ODI match with a great batting performance by Shane Watson who scored 161 not out! Thats the start Australia need in the 7 match ODI Commonwealth Banks series.

Now to today, The 2nd ODI match in Hobart, England has won the toss and elected to bowl first and its payed for so far, After 6 overs Australia are 1/13 (I know, Channel 9 aren't showing it live)

Not a good start for the Aussies...

Back