ashes 2010

Cricket Australia selectors are the single greatest tossbags in the world. Simple as that. They overlook run machines like Klinger, Hodge and in the past Blewett, Lehmann and Jamie Cox. I could sit here all night rattling off names, but i wont, cbf.
Unfortunately, our selection pool isnt as deep as it once was, and I heard somewhere there have been more changes in squads/match teams etc in the last 18 months than in the 3 years prior. this isnt good for team chemistry.

Most of the start-ups in our test squad have been due to injuries. The only ones I can think of who have been dropped are Phil Hughes and McDonald. The other batsmen at test level are undroppable.

I can't really count McGain as one test is no test.

It is because the bowlers have been injured time and time again.

Hodge didn't take advantage? He was dropped four or five tests after making a double ton, against south Africa. Your counter argument about Klinger stands. I actually thought he was doing well over the border. But the selectors need to give more exposure to our younger squad members a bit of a run soon, otherwise they'll be well and truly out of their depth when they finally get a game.

Hodge didn't take advantage? He was dropped four or five tests after making a double ton, against south Africa. Your counter argument about Klinger stands. I actually thought he was doing well over the border. But the selectors need to give more exposure to our younger squad members a bit of a run soon, otherwise they'll be well and truly out of their depth when they finally get a game.

Remove the double hundred against South Africa and Hodge has a test batting average of around 30 which is hardly worth a spot in the side. He also has an average of around 30 at ODI level, again not good enough for a spot in the team.

Now that the team is struggling though, your point about exposing younger players to the line-up I agree with. I'd love to see Khawaja get a game and Hughes be included but I'm afraid I can't see it happening, at least not for the first few tests anyway.

Remove the double hundred against South Africa and Hodge has a test batting average of around 30 which is hardly worth a spot in the side. He also has an average of around 30 at ODI level, again not good enough for a spot in the team.

Now that the team is struggling though, your point about exposing younger players to the line-up I agree with. I'd love to see Khawaja get a game and Hughes be included but I'm afraid I can't see it happening, at least not for the first few tests anyway.

But when averages are calculated they don't remove scores...but still 30 is quite acceptable. He has played a limited number of tests but his First Class average is 57 and the majority of that has been in England - the second hardest domestic league in the world behind Sheffield Shield. Give Khawaja some more time for NSW - see whether this glamour run can continue. But I do agree however that he should be groomed as a potential opener or even number 3

But when averages are calculated they don't remove scores...but still 30 is quite acceptable.

Hodge has had one good innings in his test career, had that innings not occured his average drops down a fair way.

An average of 30 is not acceptable in test cricket, least not in any of the major test nations (Australian included). North averages around 37 and people are calling for head (with good reason). 30 is a very poor average, and one certainly not worth a test berth.

joshie91 said:
He has played a limited number of tests but his First Class average is 57 and the majority of that has been in England - the second hardest domestic league in the world behind Sheffield Shield. Give Khawaja some more time for NSW - see whether this glamour run can continue. But I do agree however that he should be groomed as a potential opener or even number 3

A lot of Hodge's county cricket has been in division two which is less difficult than playing in the top tier. Whilst he has great stats he has hardly been convincing at international level and his actions off-field in the media have probably cost him the chance of ever making the side again.

As for Khawaja, I don't see him battting higher than number three. I'd raher he learn testc ricket in the middle order and then see himself work his way up to the number three spot. I really don't want him opening at all.

He helped get Lancashire into Div 1 in 2006 and then they stayed there up till his departure in 2008. C'mon mate, its not like he was playing for Kent. Lancashire are a respectable club in country cricket. but not as good as Yorkshire, or Sussex. :)

But the talk over Hodge is boring now as he is 35, seriously if I really thought they would bring him back, I'd be actively barracking for England. How conservative do you want the selectors to be?

And as for the start to the season, flogging the WA attack, which he'll get another chance to do tomorrow, means sweet eff ayye as they are the eyeless, mud-sucking, bottom dwellers of the domestic pond.

True - this should have been the debate when Mike Hussey was brought into the test team all those years ago. your WA line made me laugh. utterly hilarious.

True - this should have been the debate when Mike Hussey was brought into the test team all those years ago. your WA line made me laugh. utterly hilarious.

Serves me right,they inched up to the top of the pond and sniffed around yesterday. Don't know how long they can stay up there in the light and air though. It's not their natural habitat.

He helped get Lancashire into Div 1 in 2006 and then they stayed there up till his departure in 2008. C'mon mate, its not like he was playing for Kent. Lancashire are a respectable club in country cricket. but not as good as Yorkshire, or Sussex. :)

Still played a number of seasons in division two.

He's no chance to play anyway so this ship has well and truly sailed.

Yeh, but if you take out any batsman's highest scores, their average will dip! Take away Bradman's scores over 200 and his average will drop!

Yeh, but if you take out any batsman's highest scores, their average will dip! Take away Bradman's scores over 200 and his average will drop!

yes but why would you do that because Bradman is a one in a kind there will never be anybody like him and he liked having an adverage of 99.94 because he was'nt perfect

You've completely missed my point. Remove Hodge's highest score and he has an average of about 30 which is pretty poor. I doubt removing the highest score made by some of our elite batsman would result in their average changing by all that much.

You've completely missed my point. Remove Hodge's highest score and he has an average of about 30 which is pretty poor. I doubt removing the highest score made by some of our elite batsman would result in their average changing by all that much.
Hodge played six tests. Of course removing his 200 would drop his average. He only had about 10 hits in test cricket

Hodge played six tests. Of course removing his 200 would drop his average. He only had about 10 hits in test cricket
But the main thing is that he's a highly consistent batsman in the domestic arena, when he goes and scores a one off score and consistently scores low elsewhere he's telling the selectors he's not cut out for the international arena. He was only in the team because Ponting was out, and while Ponting is still playing there isn't room for Hodge. I really respect him as a batsman, but there was simply no room, and it's a bit late now. I feel for him, but he simply played in an era of legends, half of Australia's domestic scene in that generation could have played for any other country at that time, just unlucky.

But the main thing is that he's a highly consistent batsman in the domestic arena, when he goes and scores a one off score and consistently scores low elsewhere he's telling the selectors he's not cut out for the international arena. ... I feel for him, but he simply played in an era of legends, half of Australia's domestic scene in that generation could have played for any other country at that time, just unlucky.
I can't argue with that. He falls into the same category as Williams, MacGill, Bracken, Cox and Berry as players who, as you said, could have got a game for any country

And the rest of those were poor to reasonable innings at best which is highlighted by the removal of that outlying innings. The same thing applies to the ODI arena where Hodge's highest score was 123 against a weak Holland attack, take that out and his average is a tad over 25.

Not very convincing statistics in his favour are they? Hodge is too old anyway, he is 36 in December. McGain debuted at a similar age and put in probably the worst ever performance by an Australian debutant. Hopefully we've learnt our lesson and look to the younger players who will be our future, not guys who are fast approaching their late 30's.

I believe I may have implied i wanted Hodge back in the National team, which was not my intention. I was merely lamenting the fact he didn't get more of a run in the team. McGain should never have been picked. George should have been (he was the first to spring to mind) or another young fast bowler

Back