Ashes Tour Fixturing Stuff Up

Bluey Zarsoff

Owing to a fixturing stuff up England will play a 2nd string NSW line-up in November:

Cricket NSW admits it had already planned to field a second-string team for the tour match against England at the SCG in mid-November, but the visitors won't be able to accuse the hosts of attempting to ambush their preparation for the first Test at the Gabba.

Owing to Cricket Australia's scheduling, NSW was ''double-booked'' for November 13-16, and the state's selectors must provide two teams; one to contest the Sheffield Shield match against Queensland in Brisbane and the other, a NSW XI, to play England.

It will be England's last game before they commence their Ashes defence on November 21.
CNSW chairman John Warn said when he and the board were made aware of the conflict three months ago, it was decided to commit the state's Test contingent - which included Michael Clarke, Brad Haddin, Shane Watson, David Warner, Steve Smith and Nathan Lyon - to try to secure Sheffield Shield points.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/shield-clash-means-england-will-face-weaker-nsw-team-20130924-2uc7b.html#ixzz2fttqlEGC

Would have thought CA would move the Shield game to accommodate England.

Historically that would have been the logical solution. These days tour matches leading up to the tests are seemingly as unimportant as they are infrequent.

I also think it's an absolute joke that this England vs NSW 2nd X1 game is going to be recorded as a 1st class match.

Same thing is happening in their game against WA with us playing a Shield match at the same time.

It was funny when Cook said that in their tour of India they didn't face a single over of spin until the 1st Test..

What do posters think about this England vs NSW 2nd X1 game being recognised as a 1st class match?

How does playing a 2nd XI fulfil the criteria?

What do posters think about this England vs NSW 2nd X1 game being recognised as a 1st class match?

How does playing a 2nd XI fulfil the criteria?

They have no choice, it's an international side against a state team, has to be a first-class game. I foresee a lot of players making their first-class debut for the Blues in that game.

I noticed that the game against WA which starts on Thursday will be against the WA Chairman's XI rather than the actual WA side due to Sheffield Shield commitments for the Warriors. Perhaps they could have done the same thing with the NSW game.

They have no choice, it's an international side against a state team, has to be a first-class game. I foresee a lot of players making their first-class debut for the Blues in that game.

I noticed that the game against WA which starts on Thursday will be against the WA Chairman's XI rather than the actual WA side due to Sheffield Shield commitments for the Warriors. Perhaps they could have done the same thing with the NSW game.

We both know it'll be a state 2nd XI they play against. That's my point.

The NSW game has been changed to pretty much an Aus A team now with players from other states now playing to strengthening the side.

Back