Ask the Umpire!

Stumped

Ask the Umpire!

Right heres a post for people to post questions to a Panel Umpire! if you have any queries regarding laws or rules or situations you are unsure off please ask and they should be answered fairly quickly!

i will go first!

Recently when Australia were playing india i watched the Indians pull helmets and close fielding gear from a small hatch behind the stumps about 15 yards away, i was under the impression that gear was either on the field or off the field!

re: Ask the Umpire!

Good question stumped!

I've been wondering, how do people who are interested in umpiring (those mad, mad people!) go about it? Are there courses you take or anything? I really have no idea!

Also is there anything you can recommend to practice that could help your umpiring ability? Possibly umpiring a little in nets or something? I really don't know again, just asking as it's something I've wondered about going into...

Okay I lied, that was 2 questions! :p

Re: Ask the Umpire!

I think there is a coarse over here.

Would you ever call a decision back if you suddenly realise it was wrong, and how many people have to appeal before you start taking the appeal seriously?

I saw this on the BBC website, as part of the Ask Bearders section:

Q. What rules (if any) govern the eligibility of substitute fielders? Does one have to qualify to play for the nation in question in order to take to the field in Tests or internationals to qualify? Andrew Murray

The reply being:

Law 2 governs the use of substitute fielders. It confirms that the fielding captain can call upon ANYONE he likes to undertake that role, and that they can field wherever he directs, apart from acting as wicket-keeper. Once the umpires have granted the use of a substitute fielder, the batting captain cannot object either to who he is or where he fields.

Now does this mean, that as long as the umpires give the ok, I can choose anyone to come on as a substitute fielder, whether man, woman or animal and regardless of nationality (for the purposed of international cricket)?

does this mean if i am m8s with symonds or clarke i can throw em on my park cricket side as a sub. point or cover fielder ????

lol just a little unfair i believe...

:laugh: That would be one way to turn a game!!!

In the rules of the league I play in it does state that the sub fielder has to play at the same level (or lower) as the person going off. As in you can't even bring on one of your first team players in a thirds match.

Still, if the umpire didn't recognise Symonds and you were able to convince him he'd never played cricket before :biggrin

edladd said:
:laugh: That would be one way to turn a game!!!

In the rules of the league I play in it does state that the sub fielder has to be play at the same level (or lower) as the person going off. As in you can't even bring on one of your first team players in a thirds match.

Still, if the umpire didn't recognise Symonds and you were able to convince him he'd never played cricket before :biggrin

;)

Stumped said:
Recently when Australia were playing india i watched the Indians pull helmets and close fielding gear from a small hatch behind the stumps about 15 yards away, i was under the impression that gear was either on the field or off the field!
I know you weren't asking me or anything, but I saw this when I was reading through the laws on the MCC website and it's relevant
Protective helmets, when not in use by fielders, shall only be placed, if above the surface, on the ground behind the wicket-keeper and in line with both sets of stumps.

So it looks like there is a clause in the law that allows helmets to be stored under the surface.

Was watching the text commentary for the T20 (SA v Bangladesh) and saw the following:

"4.2 Syed Rasel to Ontong, no run
4.2 Syed Rasel to Ontong, 5 wides, Wide down leg. Keeper standing up to the stumps had no chance of stopping that.Lady Luck seems to favour the South Africans."

How do you get 5 wides and still be on strike next ball?

EDIT:

:eek:

Never mind, it's a stoopid question - 1 wide + a boundary = 5 wides .... d'oh!

1 for the wide ball, and 4 runs for the boundary!

they dont have to have run to get a run for the wide?

well purely on the fact that the bowler knows the keeper is standing up to the stumps and he must be able to see that! so he really should be bowling in the slot or close to it!

bitsandpieces;256308 said:
Good question stumped!

I've been wondering, how do people who are interested in umpiring (those mad, mad people!) go about it? Are there courses you take or anything? I really have no idea!

Also is there anything you can recommend to practice that could help your umpiring ability? Possibly umpiring a little in nets or something? I really don't know again, just asking as it's something I've wondered about going into...

Okay I lied, that was 2 questions! :p

In Melbourne, we just contact our local association, eg. North Metro Cricket Association, and do a course through them. I think its about $60-$70 for a seniors match(5 hours). Good part time job.

I think you have to be 16 to do the course, and it is conducted in the winter, well thats with my association anyway.:)

In the RDCA its a bit more, good money but I prefer to play
Umpires Fees to increase to: $110 per day where 2 officiate a game, $130 if done solely and for Extended Over games it will be $130 and $150 respectively.
If umpire numbers extend to grades which play 70 overs per day, the rate will be $110 per day.

As for the box in the ground, they have used it at the MCG for years, I think they use it for the new ball as well, but not something that would be used if the gear is in regular use, just saves sending it on and off the field, but requires some form of key type thing to open that the umpire holds

Try this one. Two legitimate deliveries have been bowled to open an innings, the only balls bowled. Score is 0 for 8, both batsmen on 4 not out. How is this possible?

Back