Aussie Women International Cricket

An inexplicable decision to play at that last ball by McGrath as she had been in total control up to that point. Lanning diced with luck for a good part of her innings while Haynes showed yet again why she is our quiet achiever in probably her Test swan song.

I put it down to complete inexperience at this format. The women barely play any test matches at all, too much white-ball stuff and that type of shot was a demonstration of that.

It would have been nice to see this series with three tests rather than just one.

Australia had the better of day two, declaring at 9/337 after losing two wickets early in the day. England started poorly, losing Lauren Winfield-Hill inside the third over with regular wickets following from there on in. England slumped to 8/169 with Heather Knight playing a lone hand for the English side before she was ably supported by Sophie Ecclestone who contributed 27 runs to finish the day not out with Knight registering a century to be 127 not out at stumps as England finished the day on 8/235, 102 runs behind.

Ellyse Perry was the best of the bowlers with 2/35, Annabel Sutherland snared 2/52 while Alana King claimed her maiden test wicket, trapping Katherine Brunt LBW for one.

The weather tomorrow is not great with showers forecast for the afternoon and evening so I doubt there will be much play tomorrow after lunch. Australia would want to bowl England out quickly and then set about making as many runs as possible before the weather sets in.

The women barely play any test matches at all
..and dont play red ball at domestic level either. That has to change with far more Test cricket to be played around the world in the future. Australia needs to lead the way. How hard can it be to initially implement a red ball component into the current white ball comp then gradually add more red ball matches until they have sufficient for a stand alone red ball comp.

State of Play Day 3: Yes with some crappy weather around today the game needs to now go into fast forward mode. We let these two get away last nite as our quicks lacked penetration with the second newie probably as they may have been spent from fielding in humid conditions all day. What we dont want is for Knight to further eat into our lead. We need to be batting after half an hour and build on our lead until the rain comes. Again the Pomettes will enjoy bowling in conditions similar to their own so expect us to lose wickets regularly. Reason it is so important to have that buffer.

The inexperience of our pace attack is showing thru with Knight and Ecclestone now whittling away our lead. CA may now regret picking so many rookies.
Our rookie attack is now coming up short in a vital part of the match. CA will be regretting leaving out one of our most experienced bowlers in Megan Schutt for a group of talented yet still kids untried at this level. Whereas England has picked seasoned Test bowlers..

Last edited:
A nailbiter that went to the final over with the Pomettes hanging on by a thread to draw the match after it must be said they were cruising at 2-166. Do we use the word choke.

Only three pyjama games left to decide the Ashes winner.

A nailbiter that went to the final over with the Pomettes hanging on by a thread to draw the match after it must be said they were cruising at 2-166. Do we use the word choke.

Only three pyjama games left to decide the Ashes winner.
England caused that to happen! Because of drawing the test

What a game, one of the best test matches played for some years. Both sides will walk away from the game thinking they should have won but a draw is perhaps a fitting result in the end.

Australia had England in big trouble on day two at 8/169, still 168 runs behind on first innings. The last two wickets put on 128 runs, aided by Heather Knight's innings of 168 not out to ensure England were bowled out only 40 runs in arrears.

Australia's declaration was fairly generous I thought in the second dig at 7/216, setting England 257 for victory from 48 overs and they perhaps should have batted a bit longer to ensure England could only play for a draw. England did bat very well to get themselves into a very strong position and at 3/218, they were coasting to victory. However, England panicked and lost 6/26 in 5.2 overs, still requiring 13 runs from 13 balls with only one wicket in hand. In the end, England played for the draw which they secured as both sides took two points each away from the contest.

I can't help but think rain ruined another great game with a result almost being certain had there been no interruptions for the inclement weather. Nonetheless, the match overall was a fantastic one with a grandstand finish in the final few overs.

The series goes back to white ball cricket now with three ODI's to be played. The first ODI is a day/night match at Adelaide Oval on Thursday starting at 11:10am AWST (2:10pm AEDT, 3:10am UTC).

While Australia and England have been battling it out for the Ashes the two nation's second best sides have also been in a contest. The Aussies by far the superior side with wins in all matches so far. This series has been largely forgotten with not one game live streamed by CA. Poor show as many future Australian players will come from this second tier team. I see Burns, Graham and Redmayne ready to jump into our national team with the exciting teen Phoebe Litchfield the pick of our most promising female cricketers.

Last edited:
AUSTRALIA WINS the ASHES!!

Before I sign off from this thread I want to say a word about Darcie Brown. She is promising no doubt about that but is still a teenager with plenty to learn about the art of bowling. And before we get too carried away with her, hark back to 2013 when another teen bowler, Holly Ferling burst onto the international stage. Like Brown she was tall, fast and with youthful exuberance. Like Brown Ferling, who tired her long blonde hair with a pink ribbon, had the world at her feet before successive seasons of injury ruined a promising and what may have been a fabulous career.

Last edited:
Cricket Australia have released the latest central contracts for the national women's team covering the next 12 months. Alana King has been offered a contract, the first national contract of her career while Sophie Molineux drops off the list of contracted players having suffered a stress fracture in her right foot.

Georgia Wareham and Tayla Vlaeminck have kept their contract for the next period despite having long-term injuries. Both are not expected to return to playing until the coming 2022/23 season.

Other players will have an opportunity to be upgraded to a contract by earning points throughout the season and will do so once they reach a total of 12 points. A test match is worth four points, an ODI is worth two points while a T20I is worth one point.

Cricket Australia Contracts 2022/23: Darcie Brown (South Australia), Nicola Carey (Tasmania), Ashleigh Gardner (New South Wales), Rachael Haynes (New South Wales), Alyssa Healy (New South Wales), Jess Jonassen (Queensland), Alana King (Western Australia), Meg Lanning (Victoria), Tahlia McGrath (South Australia), Beth Mooney (Queensland), Ellyse Perry (Victoria), Megan Schutt (South Australia), Annabel Sutherland (Victoria), Tayla Vlaeminck (Victoria), Georgia Wareham (Victoria)

In: Alana King (Western Australia)
Out: Sophie Molineux (Victoria)

i just want to say ashleigh gardner is my favourite cricketer. And my favourite lesbian (not butch at all)
Will me mentioning a lesbian cause a backlash? as ive had the bizzare experience of being edited elsewhere for mentioning a lesbian (she is not in the closet-she has tweeted her girlfriend)

Also i suspect that the desire to promote womens sport has neccessitated pushing women into professional cricket who are simply not good enough to be professionals just to have the numbers to fill out a competition.
As result there are a plethora of terrible players playing womens cricket.

Which explains the obsession commentators have for endlessly making excuses for bad play e.g. sun was in her eyes so she dropped the catch or shes not used to playing under lights so she dropped the catch. Instead of telling the truth- she isnt a very good player.

Thats not to say there arent great womens olayers just that they are quite rare- hence the IPL only fielding a handful of womens teams

i also hold the opinion that amy jones is the worst wicket keeper ive ever seen. Any grade, either gender.
Yet there seems to be a conspiracy by commentators to laud her non existent talent . After she drops catch after catch. Which begs the question- who is the important person she is related to? nepotism is the only excuse for her inclusion in the england team i can think of.

Winfield Hill s a good keeper and therefore miles ahead of jones and a great batsmen too. How much better would england be if they played her?
Theyd start claiming caught behinds for starters. She dropped a sitter off issy wong a few weeks ago that rattled wong. She then bowled loosely afterwards. It therefore effects the whole team aswell as the missed wickets themselvesView attachment Ashleigh-partner-1.webp

Last edited:
Back