Aussie's tour of India review.

gbatman

Aussie's tour of India review.

Michael Clarke's Batting
Why has Michael Clark not realised he can't play shots wide of off stump?

He doesn't get accross to the pace bowlers and plays away from his body which means he hits in the air through covers and often edges to slips/keeper. He would make a lot more runs if he left balls wide of off because he hardly ever makes runs when it counts and goes out this way. Needs to leave these balls, good batsmen don't play shots they can't play very well.

Who is coaching these blokes!

Our Bowling
How come we picked all seamers on wickets that don't bounce or seam? Finally we pick a spinner when it's all but over. I don't know what Casson did to be dropped, thought he did alright in the West Indies...
So much for our bowling coach. Lee and Johnson bowling with scrambled seams with no chance of moving the ball!

Our selectors have proven to be idiots and our bowling coach should be sacked on these efforts. We didn't play a side suited to the conditions and we didn't pick the best avaliable. Our pace bowlers have lost skills and have not gained any since the new bowling coach has arrived.

Brett Lee is a short pace bowler, his bounce and seam will be minimal, he must swing it. He used to bowl with the seam up nice and angled but now its no good at all, especially now he is getting slower he needs to become more skillful like Dennis Lillie did.

Mitchell Johnson could be a great bowler when he gets his seam position right. Left armers are are a bonus because they swing it into the right handers and away from left handers (traditionally) which he has failed to do. If he got his seam position right, with his height and pace could be one of the worlds finest bowlers.
Needs to work on holding the ball diferently. He appears to put a bit of off cut on the ball and runs his fingers accross the seam. Perhaps should hold the ball (ah-la Matthew Hoggard) with the seam angled in his hand so it points towards the base of his ring finger so when his fingers roll over the ball they roll down the seam and not accross it.

Cameron White is incorectly called a leg spinner. He is a wrist spinner who bowls over the wrist top spinners. looks very stiff in the action and might not have the flexability to get things into the position to get more side spin on the ball. Is too front on which is why he can't land them or impart side spin. Not good enough to make it as a bowler and his batting isn't quite there.

Krejza brilliant deput, showed great resilliance and looks like a possible Aussie player for time to come! Bowls a good top spinner and turns the ball. Should have played every game.

Ben Hilfenhaus to me looks the best swing bowler in the country and should have been taken to india. We didn't play a swing bowler and their swing bowler (Zaheer Khan) has done very well. We lack a bowler who takes the new ball, bowls full and swings it. Someone who can get an opener and a top order player out is someone we haven't got.

Shane Watson was the only bowler to hit the seem and he has had some success. Shows what the front liners could have achieved if they were bowling properly. Has deserved his place.

Andrew Simonds has failed in domestic cricket and if in form would have been more than valuable with his more than handy part time off spin and batting. Been a big let down and might be finished as a test player.

Our bowling plan has been crap. Bowling around the wicket to left handers even when they reach 100 after facing around the wicket bowling? This is Rubbish. can't get them out LBW.
Bowling short of a length with the new ball is basically admitting we can't swing the ball.

Lack of yorkers and bouncers? Has the skill level of our bowlers dropped so much? and why?

Re: Aussie's tour of India review.

Great start to your posting career on BigCricket gbatman.

I'll have a crack at trying to rate our players for their series.

Mathew Hayden: Has been a quality stalwart for the Australian game over his years in the game. Was coming off solid series prior to this and looked set to destroy the Indian's just like he did last time. Sweep everything off the spinners, attack the new ball. But it just wasn't too be. He scored a solid 80 odd in the third test but other then that he was found out by the new ball bowled by pace or spin. Made some very interesting shot selections and seemed to mentally be a little all over the place. 234 runs @33 isn't good enough for our opening bat. He should retire gracefully after the Brisbane test, a final stand and move on Haydos 3/10

Simon Katich: Him and the Huss dog were by far our best bats the whole time. Showed control when needed, suprised many I would say with his attacking 100 this test match and always seemed so solid up the top order. I willl say that I in the past he hasn't been my most favourite test player (IMO one of the worlds ugliest batsman and his slow strike rate) but this series has just given me a greater respect for him. 349 runs @ a tad under 50 is a solid series when our batting hardly fired at all. 8.5/10

Ricky Ponting The captain, the australian number one bat (debatable a little maybe) one of Australias greatest batsman of all time. THe pressure was well and truely on his shoulders but he responded like all people in his situation should with a ton in the first game. Quality innings but after that it was all down hill. Scored only one more 50 and ended up with only 266 runs at 38, our third highest but I guess the Australian public expects more of a bloke averaging nearly 60 in Test cricket. His captancy is probably what we are going to remember the most about his series. Very questionable at times and was highlighted by his second innings brain explosion. 5/10

Mike Hussey Can this kid do anything wrong? Scored the most runs (394) and overaged over 56. Pure quality. Knows how to get himself in and not get himself out. Scored a crunching ton early on and finished off with a solid 90 against some really negative bowling. Held the australian batting ship afloat as best as he could but without him I am scared of where we were headed. 9/10

Michael Clarke I believe that gbatman has summed up his series pretty well. Did get a ton but that just infalted his runs scored (251) and his average was a poor 35. Not goood enough really for one of our premier batsman. I know he might of had a back problem but if he was too injured to play he should of put his hand up and stepped aside for the benefit of the time 4/10

Shane Watson I felt there was a big question mark over his future in the team before the series and now that it has finished I still am unsure if I want to see him in the australian colours. scored only 170 runs in the whole series but 78 of them were in the one innings. that is 98 runs from 6 other innings. Did manage to get himself 12 wickets and ended up with the second best bowling average for the Australians. That is a very good effort from the all-rounder to out bowl all of the other quicks. Good of been better but by far wasn't our worst player. 6/10

Cameron White Where do I start? He is not up to test cricket, he shouldn't of even got on the plane to come to India. He personally should of known that he wasn't good enough and declined the invite to fly over. Benefited from his team mate McGain getting injured and the test selectors inability to grow some balls and play a REAL spinner that can actually turn the ball. If the selectors tried to justify his position by saying he could back, well that backfired as well only 149 runs at 29. People say that it was only his first series, give him a chance etc. but frankly he shouldnt be there 2/10

Brad Haddin Taking over after the great man Gilchrist has gone is always gonig to take a few series before he finds his own personal groove. I think he is a quality glovesman, better then Gilly I reckon. He justs need to find his touch with the bat. He was very disappointing (top score 37) something that we havent been use to in the past with Gilly. Will get better with age, like a fine wine. 3/10

Brett Lee Not sure what the go was with Binga this series but jsut didn't seem the same. Maybe his personal troubles have caught up with him and he mentally wasn't right to be playing cricket (all speculation of course) But didn't bowl with the venom that we have been use to him of late. The Indian's just seem to play him with such ease, and never were troubled at all. Minimal movement or shape did him no favours either. 2/10

Mitchell Johnson Really like watching him bowl. Bowls with suprisingly good pace and accuracy. Has a nice little shape to it (probably could bring in a little more variation) but he is a bowler that what you see is what you get with him. Tried all series and was rewarded with the most wickets in the series for an aussie 13. Was our premier fast bowler without question 7/10

Jason Krezja Had player to put a write up on as he only got to play the one test. But what a test!!!!! Showed a lot of bowlers around the world how to bowl with guts and back his own bowling. Kept chucking the ball up even though he would seem to be hit for a boundary nearly every over. But didn't change much (probably Ponting's best thing as a captain he did all series was to continue to bowl him). He was rewarded with prise scalps, India's best bats and took 12 wickets on debut, his 8 fa was the third best debut by an Aussie. Had to give him a one off rating but for his one off test 10/10

Stuart Clark didnt look half the man, not even a quarter of the man that we have seen in the past few years. Bowled with no pace or threating manner. Took a couple of wickets in his 2 tests. 1/10

Peter Siddle Did well in his first test match but still needs a few years back in the first class arena one feels. 5/5

I know I gave low ratings but I thought it was a below average performance by most of our guys. Time to bounce back and having New Zealand is a good chance to get our game back.

Look we have lost a series and yet you guys think that we should win everything. Now that we have had the reality check, all I read is negativity.:mad:

All I read is constant rubbish that you guys are writing off the aussie cricket team. Give it a rest fellas. You don't know how annoying it is to read so much rubbish.

The last time we lost a series was when we were under Allan Border and Steve Waugh.

It's not the end of the world so stop and have a good hard think about what you are saying about the players. By all means they could end up reading what you are saying and take it to heart.

schwab2clarkson;280690 said:
Look we have lost a series and yet you guys think that we should win everything. Now that we have had the reality check, all I read is negativity.:mad:

All I read is constant rubbish that you guys are writing off the aussie cricket team. Give it a rest fellas. You don't know how annoying it is to read so much rubbish.

The last time we lost a series was when we were under Allan Border and Steve Waugh.

It's not the end of the world so stop and have a good hard think about what you are saying about the players. By all means they could end up reading what you are saying and take it to heart.

The last time we lost a series was under Ponting the last time we were in England.

We didn't select a bowling attack to suit the conditions.

We have batsmen who either haven't realised that they have weaknesses. The go out the same way every time, need to work on this! Some need to learn to leave some balls.

Our bowlers bowled poorly.

We underachieved, individuals weren't performing at their best.

We were winning because we had Lee in form, McGrath, Warne, young in form Punter, Hayden in his prime, Langer, McGill, and usually had a swing bowler (Fleming, Lee used to, McGrath could and Gillespie) and our bowlers could hit the seam. We played in india without any of this. We played with out 1 front line spinner. And when we did pick a spinner we only picked 1. We barly won the border gavaskar trophy when we hosted it last summer!

Good review by the admin, spot on!

Did you actually read all of those posts, or because they were over a paragraph long, you just skimmed them? They weren't all negative, in fact those who deserved praise got it.

Here's my final observations.

Really the only player who maintained their reputation- The Huss.

Players to come out of the tour with enhanced & improved reputations- The Kat, Watson, Krezja & Siddle

Guys were ok and will improve and deserve to stay- Clarke, Johnson & Haddin

Guys who played poorly and need to improve- Lee, Clark & Ponting's captaincy.

Who's getting the tap on the shoulder this summer- Haydos! ;)

Who will become a trivia question in a decade or so? Cameron "The All-Rounder" White!

Hopefully those who were poor will pick it up against the Kiwis, otherwise it will be a very big generational change our team will be facing before we take on the Poms next year in the Ashes! ;)

schwab2clarkson;280718 said:
Nope.
We have been winning everything for 15 years....

Ashes.

A series loss.

Under Ricky Ponting.

:eek:

Really? Then they need a flaming good hard dose of harden your flappy nuts cream and a shedload of concrete.

Seriously...

schwab2clarkson;280718 said:
Nope.
We have been winning everything for 15 years....

Are you sure about that?

The Ashes (Australia in England) 2005 England 2-1 (5)

Border-Gavaskar Trophy (Australia in India) 2000/01 India 2-1 (3)

Australia in Sri Lanka Test Series 1999 Sri Lanka 1-0 (3)

Border-Gavaskar Trophy (Australia in India) 1997/98 India 2-1 (3)

Border-Gavaskar Trophy (Australia in India) 1996/97 India 1-0 (1)

Australia in Pakistan Test Series 1994/95 Pakistan 1-0 (3)

The Frank Worrell Trophy (West Indies in Australia) 1992/93 West Indies 2-1 (5)

Think that is about the last 15 years worth. Haven't bothered with drawn series, only those that Australia lost.

Now do you want to re-think/re-phrase?

Hope Troy Cooley and the selectors reads it, getting him was the worst thing we did.

Lost one series against the poms then freaked out and poached their bowling coach. Since then our bowling has gone down hill fast.

We lost that series because McGrath got injured. And the ignorant selectors we have wouldn't play Hussey and McGill when Warnie was carving it up they wouldn't play McGill as well. We had Katich and Gillespie who shouldn't have played over there as they had been performing poorly previously.

We lost in India because we have Hayden not match fit coming back from injuries. The overrated Michael Clarke who still hasn't solved the outside off stump issue. Ponting was out of form last summer in Australia and can't play Harbajan or Sharma. Bryce McGain got injured. Our stupid selectors didn't play a spinner when they should have played Casson and Krezja. We played White. No one has fixed johnsons seam position problem. Didn't play a swing bowler. Brett Lee all of a sudden has developed a seam problem issue too. Clarke and Lee were sick for the last test and should not have played.
Brad Hodge, bowls part time off spin, is a great player of spin and is currently in red hot form, wasn't even in the squad!

To the credit of some, Katich, Krezja, Watson and the ever reliable Hussey were good. Hayden got some bad calls and was coming into form i think.

To be honest, there is no real shame in losing to India in India, as it's a damn hard place to play in. There are a lot of things against you before you even step onto a pitch.

Matters not helped by losing the toss either.

mas cambios;280912 said:
To be honest, there is no real shame in losing to India in India, as it's a damn hard place to play in. There are a lot of things against you before you even step onto a pitch.

So very true. I think they are the best side in the world. Sharma is the best pace bowler in the world, they have so many good young players, harbajan is one of the best spinners there is, their batting order is very strong. I think it's their turn now.

But we didn't play at out best and didn't pick our best side. If we played at our best and had our best and most suitable side I would be happy to lose to them.

mas cambios;280912 said:

Spot on.

Them's the breaks in cricket at times. You come up against a strong team and you're missing one or two key players.

India have always had the batting but now they've added the bowing as well as some consistency, they are a pretty mean team. Not sure they'll dominate as they also have a period of transition to go through but it does make for an interesting battle for the number one spot.

el-capitano;280736 said:
Did you actually read all of those posts, or because they were over a paragraph long, you just skimmed them? They weren't all negative, in fact those who deserved praise got it.

Here's my final observations.

Really the only player who maintained their reputation- The Huss.

Players to come out of the tour with enhanced & improved reputations- The Kat, Watson, Krezja & Siddle

Guys were ok and will improve and deserve to stay- Clarke, Johnson & Haddin

Guys who played poorly and need to improve- Lee, Clark & Ponting's captaincy.

Who's getting the tap on the shoulder this summer- Haydos! ;)

Who will become a trivia question in a decade or so? Cameron "The All-Rounder" White!

Hopefully those who were poor will pick it up against the Kiwis, otherwise it will be a very big generational change our team will be facing before we take on the Poms next year in the Ashes! ;)

agree with almost all of this

the positives were that we found an all rounder who can move the ball (this tour was the best thing ever for watson's bowling) and a spinner who will attack.

not sold on johnson, does not move it enough and does not have a second or third trick in his bag. Would rather bollinger or siddle personally.

not sure if anyone missed some of haddins keeping but it was terrible. We used to say that gilly's keeping was not the highest of standard but haddins was shocking. It would be ok if his batting was consistant and damaging but it was not.

Good experience for the youngsters. We have also learnt that white will only be a one day player at best.

bring on the hilf and tait

Back