4th ODI - England v Australia
Sophia Gardens, Cardiff
N/A

Mon Sep 16
13:00 GMT | 14:00 local
01:00 NZST +1d
5th ODI - England v Australia
The Rose Bowl, Southampton

How do we all feel about England resting so many players in this ODI series? A fair few fans aren't happy, arguing that they're not really getting their money's worth to see what you could call the England Lions side. I get the ECB's reasoning, but it bothers me that not one Ashes player is in the squad for the one-off Ireland game, and only three (Pieterson, Root, Trott) are in the squad for the Australia series. I really hope this doesn't become the norm, and that players will end up becoming mono-format players. I understand not playing all three -- it takes a special kind of player to excel in all three formats (Dhoni, Ponting) -- but don't stick to just one!

How do we all feel about England resting so many players in this ODI series? A fair few fans aren't happy, arguing that they're not really getting their money's worth to see what you could call the England Lions side. I get the ECB's reasoning, but it bothers me that not one Ashes player is in the squad for the one-off Ireland game, and only three (Pieterson, Root, Trott) are in the squad for the Australia series. I really hope this doesn't become the norm, and that players will end up becoming mono-format players. I understand not playing all three -- it takes a special kind of player to excel in all three formats (Dhoni, Ponting) -- but don't stick to just one!

Yeah, it really annoys me as well. Especially that the Irish get shafted each year with a one-off ODI which is more of a Lions side than anything and yet it's seen by many as "helping Irish cricket develop".

I can understand one or two being rested but not the whole squad! Does the ECB only care about the Ashes?

Big news for Australia is Davey Warner being dropped. No tears from me. Here's Australia's squad:

Michael Clarke (capt), George Bailey, Fawad Ahmed, Nathan Coulter-Nile, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Phillip Hughes, Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Clint McKay, Adam Voges, Matthew Wade (wk), Shane Watson

Are the Aussies still here? I can't remember the days the Aussie cricket team was not in England. Can we just agree that all 5 games will be rained off and let the poor buggers go home?

Voges says the improved batting by the Aussies is due to the belief Boof is showing in them and the freedom in which he is allowing them to play.

His thoughts probably say more about Mickey Arthur than they do about Darren Lehmann.

Back