2nd ODI - Old Trafford, Manchester
Sun Sep 8

3rd ODI - Edgbaston, Birmingham
Wed Sep 11

4th ODI - Sophia Gardens, Cardiff
Sat Sep 14

5th ODI - The Rose Bowl, Southampton
Mon Sep 16

I have a feeling, though, that that's not what you meant. If you meant the Test fixtures when Australia hosts England, see here.

Reasonable start against Worcestershire in the tour match. Top order all getting a touch and Bird has 4/38 off 20 overs. Bird must be a good chance for the first test. Still am all at sea as to the batting order they will use?

We need more discussion on this!

Looks as if most of the batsmen for both sides have gotten runs in the warm-up matches, even Root opening.

Let me put this scenario forward. What if Australia shock everyone and score a mountain of runs during the series? Let's also add that England match them in the runs department. Which team has the best bowling line-up and who would win then? Let's also add that Swann has a mediocre Ashes campaign.

That was a fun ramble for the sake of a discussion. :p

We need more discussion on this!

Looks as if most of the batsmen for both sides have gotten runs in the warm-up matches, even Root opening.

Let me put this scenario forward. What if Australia shock everyone and score a mountain of runs during the series? Let's also add that England match them in the runs department. Which team has the best bowling line-up and who would win then? Let's also add that Swann has a mediocre Ashes campaign.

That was a fun ramble for the sake of a discussion. :p

Really, based on the scenario you put up we would slaughter them. They may have Anderson but no depth after that. The question really is how can we score some runs against Anderson and Swann? they really have the confidence and we are trying to find some.

Really, based on the scenario you put up we would slaughter them. They may have Anderson but no depth after that. The question really is how can we score some runs against Anderson and Swann? they really have the confidence and we are trying to find some.

You don't rate Finn, Broad or Bresnan then?

I am looking forward to watching the Australians play England in the Ashes. Darren Lehmann will face the biggest challenge of his coaching career the Ashes first up, that is no easy start for a coach. He will have to make sure the players are ready and work together with Clarke. We have played 2 tour matches, which helped our preparation and gave players a chance to impress. Now the Australian team have some final training sessions before the Ashes get underway. The interesting thing will be what team the selectors decide to go with.

Normally you would look at the conditions of the pitch before selecting a side. Just for discussion purposes here is my team.

My team would be:

1. Shane Watson
2. Chris Rogers
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Michael Clarke (C)
5. Phil Hughes
6. David Warner
7. Brad Haddin (WK)
8. Mitchell Starc
9. James Pattinson
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Jackson Bird

12th Man Steve Smith

I am looking forward to watching the Australians play England in the Ashes. Darren Lehmann will face the biggest challenge of his coaching career the Ashes first up, that is no easy start for a coach. He will have to make sure the players are ready and work together with Clarke. We have played 2 tour matches, which helped our preparation and gave players a chance to impress. Now the Australian team have some final training sessions before the Ashes get underway. The interesting thing will be what team the selectors decide to go with.

Normally you would look at the conditions of the pitch before selecting a side. Just for discussion purposes here is my team.

My team would be:

1. Shane Watson
2. Chris Rogers
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Michael Clarke (C)
5. Phil Hughes
6. David Warner
7. Brad Haddin (WK)
8. Mitchell Starc
9. James Pattinson
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Jackson Bird

12th Man Steve Smith

I'd give Cowan one last shot and give him Hughes's place and put him number 3 with Khawaja at 5. Other than that, that looks a like a good side.

Cowan is a funny one, not useless but hasn't set the world on fire either. Not going on to get big scores after starts might finish his career.

If they play Warner after not playing in any of the warm up matches it's a bit of a joke.

Cowan is a funny one, not useless but hasn't set the world on fire either. Not going on to get big scores after starts might finish his career.

If they play Warner after not playing in any of the warm up matches it's a bit of a joke.

Now that Shane Watson and Chris Rogers are opening the batting, I see no place for Ed Cowan. Phil Hughes and Usman Khawaja have preformed better than him in the practice matches and have a lot more potential. As you said he often makes starts but finals to turn them into big scores, an opening batsman must be able to make big scores. I think Ed Cowan's best shot to get into the side is if Chris Rogers does poorly opening the batting.

They have said from the start that Warner will be available for selection for the first test. His punishment was not being able to play in any of the practice games, which also did him no favours in helping him getting selected for the first test. Warner has said he is happy to bat anyway in the 11. If he batted at number 6 England would have a dangerous test batsman to deal with and he could score quick runs with the tail.

To be fair to Kram, it was me who was suggesting Cowan should get another shot.

Yeah I know. I replied to his post because it mentioned David Warner and I could give my opinion on Ed Cowan as well. That is just my opinion though, Cowan may end up getting selected for the first test.

Yeah I know. I replied to his post because it mentioned David Warner and I could give my opinion on Ed Cowan as well. That is just my opinion though, Cowan may end up getting selected for the first test.

It would seem somewhat wrong for warner to get the go after what has been going on but as you point out he could be very destructive at 6 and cause some big problems for the Pom's.

Futureblackcap,
Broad is good but a bit fragile as for Bresnan and Finn, no i don't over rate them. Solid but they can be handled when taking your scenario into consideration. It is as many bowlers and batsmen over the years have been, they perform much the better with that key player creating pressure for them at the other end such as an Anderson or Swann. Take that away and they struggle to take the next step and lead. A problem Australia has had now for a couple of years.

Futureblackcap,
Broad is good but a bit fragile as for Bresnan and Finn, no i don't over rate them. Solid but they can be handled when taking your scenario into consideration. It is as many bowlers and batsmen over the years have been, they perform much the better with that key player creating pressure for them at the other end such as an Anderson or Swann. Take that away and they struggle to take the next step and lead. A problem Australia has had now for a couple of years.

I'd agree about Broad. He seems to be a very much a confidence bowler and when gets ruffled...his bowling turns to crap. However I think Broad is a better Test bowler than in the shorter formats where I think he's massively overrated. Bresnan just seems to be a line and length bowler so nothing to be afraid of there. As for Finn, I think he hasn't showed even half of his potential as a Test match bowler as yet but I believe he will get there. Finn isn't aggressive enough for me. He's got the pace and bounce but doesn't seem to put the aggression into it like someone like Morne Morkel does.

So in summary. I pretty much agree with you although I'd be a bit worried about Finn if he "finds his mojo" haha. Finn, Anderson and Swann are the keys for me. Apart from spin, Australia has the edge in the bowling department. Just my thoughts.

The Ashes are a day away here in Australia. Darren Lehmann seems focused on getting Australia to play attacking cricket, I like this tactic a lot. Instead of worrying about the players England have, we can take the attack to them.

How many runs we will score depend on players like Shane Watson, Phil Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith and David Warner, and if they can step up when the pressure is on.

I will be interested to see how Nathan Lyon goes, it looks likely he will be selected for the first test as our spinner. From memory, a while ago now, it was said Lyon would work on his bowling technique. I think he started to find form at the end of the India tour. He will have an important role to play if he is selected. He will have to hold up an end and look to take wickets, to give one of our fast bowlers a rest.

These are some of my thoughts ahead of the first test. It will be entertaining to watch two teams play cricket in an old fashioned rivalry.

The Ashes are a day away here in Australia. Darren Lehmann seems focused on getting Australia to play attacking cricket, I like this tactic a lot. Instead of worrying about the players England have, we can take the attack to them.

How many runs we will score depend on players like Shane Watson, Phil Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith and David Warner, and if they can step up when the pressure is on.

It's probably because most of them are not suited to trying to play time. Might as well get runs as fast as you can because they won't be hanging around.

If we bat first tonight, the openers firing is crucial to getting a good score.

Our frailities of late have been due to the openers getting out cheaply and exposing the middle order to the new and swinging ball.

If our openers can see off the new ball, it will make it a lot easier on our middle order.

Back