Australia/NZ and the hosting of major tournaments

Kram81

Australia/NZ and the hosting of major tournaments

In the history of the 50 over World Cup Australia and New Zealand have only hosted in 1992, I guess the sub continent having the 1987/96 cups wasn't enough so they have to another one, out of turn of course.

The T20 World Cup has been hosted in South Africa, England, and now the West Indies (probably a reward for to their brilliant work hosting the 2007 ODI WC :rolleyes:). Now I see it is going to Sri Lanka in 2010 and Bangladesh in 2012.

Even the stupid and completely meaningless Champions Trophy has somehow avoided Australasia.

What a **** ing joke, Australia/NZ have arguably the largest and finest grounds for Cricket in the world yet are never given any tournaments to host.

Unbelievable.

Re: Australia/NZ and the hosting of major tournaments

Mate you hit the nail on its head. I think there are a number of factors though to keep in mind. The truth is that the television transmission times is a massive issue.

The time difference between the countries and the rest of the world is too big and TV is where the money is unfortunately :(

But we are only 4 hours or so ahead of india. It just means a day nighter is from 9 to 5:30 which isn't that bad and a t20 is from 2:30 to 5:30.

Cricket these days is very political, has been for some time.

Australia has been the best team for the best part of 20 years, we will never get anything more than the bare minimum.

The ICC would probably think if we were to host a world cup that the thing would be a foregone conclusion and that we would romp it in for the win.

And as others have said, there is the issue with TV rights and time zones and what not.

Good point. But someone needs to realise that while australia is hard to beat in australia, new zealand poses a different question as nz have a better record at home against oz than the records suggest they should

Sooner or later the players are going to call for it. Australia is one of the best countries to tour in the world with such great grounds and luxuries outside of cricket that can't be equalled anywhere else.

I'm sure the players must hate touring places like the subcontinent, especially when playing something like the World Cup.

Remember players have no power. If they try to get something they are breaching their contracts and they will be slaughtered in the media.

As Pakistan have shown.

I think the Netherlands have a better chance of getting the next one than Australia.

You can understand where the ICC is coming from, Australia has been unbeaten in the last 2 world cups, and in some respects Australia has been responsible for the poor performance in the last world cup. Australia blasting everyone away hardly makes for a good competition, giving Australia a world cup to stage will mean that Australia will win easily.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;392761 said:
You can understand where the ICC is coming from, Australia has been unbeaten in the last 2 world cups, and in some respects Australia has been responsible for the poor performance in the last world cup. Australia blasting everyone away hardly makes for a good competition, giving Australia a world cup to stage will mean that Australia will win easily.

This is not correct at all. Every country hosts the world cup every 20 years or so, with the occasional extra tournament in India because of the BCCI voting bloc. The suggestion that there is some kind of conspiracy to prevent Australia hosting a world cup in the fear that they would blow the competition away is truly bewildering.

Fun fact: The 2015 World Cup is in Aus/NZ, 23 years after they last hosted one. The reason it's not 20 years is because they only had a 3 year gap between the '96 and '99 World Cups and because India shoehorned their way into hosting 2011 in classic BCCI fashion.

LtD mate enough with all the patting of the back. I agree to a degree with you but Australia can be rewarded with a home tournament as well. Home advantage may or may not have an influence in the performance.

Guys lets be honest if you want to beat the heavyweight then play him in his backyard. Kram81 has a valid point and why should the tournament be played in the West Indies. The facilities dont need to much effort as the infrastructure is top notch already :) and if he world can watch the Australian GP then getting up earlier is not such a train smash. I woke up at 2am to watch the Test Series in Australia and also their are ways to record the game if not live.

I must be honest and I think politics are the main issue behind it all.

This is all a bit of a conspiracy theory. The first 3 tournaments were held in England because at that time it was more of a corporate sponsors' invitational that they owned and hosted. The WC as a 'real' ICC rotating event began in 1987.

Since then, the subcontinental bloc is the only region to host more than once - due to their substantial voting power and the value of television rights. In fact, Australia/NZ will be the first to join them as repeat hosts in 2015.

Similarly, no country has hosted or is currently scheduled to host either the World T20 or Champions' Trophy more than once. I am sure Australia will get its opportunity in due course.

So in summary - India/Pakistan get more then their fair share of tournaments, for everyone else it's about even. If this thread is about the BCCI running world cricket, then it's not exactly news. If it's about Australia being shunned any more than any other non-subcontinent country, then that's simply not true.

Also, given that this is about Aus/NZ, thread moved to that forum.

Caesar;393145 said:
This is all a bit of a conspiracy theory. The first 3 tournaments were held in England because at that time it was more of a corporate sponsors' invitational that they owned and hosted. The WC as a 'real' ICC rotating event began in 1987.

Since then, the subcontinental bloc is the only region to host more than once - due to their substantial voting power and the value of television rights. In fact, Australia/NZ will be the first to join them as repeat hosts in 2015.

Similarly, no country has hosted or is currently scheduled to host either the World T20 or Champions' Trophy more than once. I am sure Australia will get its opportunity in due course.

So in summary - India/Pakistan get more then their fair share of tournaments, for everyone else it's about even. If this thread is about the BCCI running world cricket, then it's not exactly news. If it's about Australia being shunned any more than any other non-subcontinent country, then that's simply not true.

Also, given that this is about Aus/NZ, thread moved to that forum.

That would be right. ;)

Back