Australia vs England - The Ashes 2021/22

Hate putting a further dampner on the SCG Test but after a week of glorious summer weather in my home town the dreaded La Nina is set to return. So expect perhaps another greentop and rain/storm delays over the five days.

I did see the weather forecast for Sydney and it is not super great. Wednesday and Thursday look to be the worst of the five days with 4-8mm and 3-6mm expected for those days with just a shower or two predicted for days three to five. It's possible that Saturday and Sunday may not get any rain at all at this stage.

Hopefully the rain will keep away or to a minimum at least and we'll get in as much play as possible over the five days.

..or rather how the standard has dropped since those days. I tend to think the latter. CA is eroding red ball cricket slowly but surely. Firstly by leaving out a red ball component for the underage national champs. Secondly cutting the best domestic comp in world cricket in half destroying team and player form and momentum for when it resumes months later. Thirdly cancelling Test tours but not white ball ones during the Pandemic. What is next. I dread to think.

I think the standard has dropped somewhat but I also think T20 cricket has contributed to that. There's a lot of focus on T20 cricket, particularly the Big Bash as it is a big money spinner so a lot of effort has gone into that side of the game which has led to the deterioration of technique in the red-ball arena, particularly the ability to bat time and show patience. That has been fairly evident in my opinion, most certainly in other countries too.

CA must keep the Shield at 10 games per state, this should be non negotiable in my opinion. I wouldn't be against it being expanded to 15 games but that won't happen.

An update to this. CA and the ECB may look at an idea proposed by English cricket commentator Isa Guha to open the Shield to English players chosen for the Ashes and likewise allow Aussies access to county cricket before an England Ashes. comments.

I don't have an issue with it. It will raise the level of the Shield in my opinion and gives Australia's domestic players opportunities against international level players. It also provides an opportunity for Australia's players to play in English conditions which is good experience in my opinion, particularly leading up to an Ashes series.

I wouldn't be against it being an annual thing either. Australia already has players who go over each year, either pure domestic players or international ones to play county cricket. It raises the standard of the series and benefits both parties. I don't have an issue with associate nations coming here and playing games against state sides (i.e. Ireland vs WA, etc.) during winter either. This is where Australia needs to be a leader to improve the overall standard of the game.

The whole Kolpac issue is massive if you know about it, it's caused a mass exodus to England in county cricket in England

Brexit put an end to the Kolpak ruling so any players who are not citizens of the UK are required to play as an international player if they wish to play county cricket in England.

A number of South African players have reappeared in South African domestic cricket as a result of this political development. Kyle Coetzer is one of them although I wouldn't be surprised if Quentin De Kock secured a contract in county cricket for the coming season in beyond due to his retirement, the pay there would be better than playing international cricket for South Africa and also provides more security.

Our worse nightmare would be this spud keeping his spot after this tour.

I don't think Harris should be playing for Australia but I feel his position in the side is secure for the next overseas tour as a minimum, particularly after his innings in the most recent test. I believe he'll be given some time in the role before before they make a decision on the position in case he does not do well in the spot between now and then.

He lives in Australia and works in Australia but often flies out from Australia.
I think you will find that McGrath is still the head honcho at India's MRF Pace Academy unless I missed seeing his his resignation in print and spends a good deal of his year over there. Now who among us would prefer one of cricket's all time great quicks tutoring Australia's best young pacemen rather than India's and other nations. I for one. It is a no brainer. I know it wont happen as CA wont be able to afford him.. same as they were unable to afford one of our other greats, Dennis Lillee. So we will continue to be stuck with second best.

Last edited:
Would much rather Craig McDermott who is much better as a coach
We have already had him Luke. What did he do that was any better than past bowling coaches. Nothing. What he did do, along with Boof Lehmann was deny some worthy bowlers a chance for a Baggy Green, simply because they rated them too slow. Who is our current bowling coach anyway?
I also want Buck Rogers as our batting coach.

Last edited:
I don't have an issue with it. It will raise the level of the Shield in my opinion and gives Australia's domestic players opportunities against international level players. It also provides an opportunity for Australia's players to play in English conditions which is good experience in my opinion, particularly leading up to an Ashes series.

I wouldn't be against it being an annual thing either. Australia already has players who go over each year, either pure domestic players or international ones to play county cricket. It raises the standard of the series and benefits both parties. I don't have an issue with associate nations coming here and playing games against state sides (i.e. Ireland vs WA, etc.) during winter either. This is where Australia needs to be a leader to improve the overall standard of the game.

Brexit put an end to the Kolpak ruling so any players who are not citizens of the UK are required to play as an international player if they wish to play county cricket in England.

A number of South African players have reappeared in South African domestic cricket as a result of this political development. Kyle Coetzer is one of them although I wouldn't be surprised if Quentin De Kock secured a contract in county cricket for the coming season in beyond due to his retirement, the pay there would be better than playing international cricket for South Africa and also provides more security.

I don't think Harris should be playing for Australia but I feel his position in the side is secure for the next overseas tour as a minimum, particularly after his innings in the most recent test. I believe he'll be given some time in the role before before they make a decision on the position in case he does not do well in the spot between now and then.
First Harris has to back up that fine knock in Melbourne to prove he can do it at this level. Same as Travis Head. One swallow does not make a summer.

IMO, George Bailey and Justin Langer have missed a trick by promising Harris an extended run when his career did not warrant it. At the same time denying one of two promising openers a chance to debut in this series on home soil against a demoralized opposition. I had hoped with the appointment of Bailey that things may have changed for the better re selection policy.. but no they appear to be just as bad as before.

Last edited:
i.e. Ireland vs WA, etc.
LJ with respect Ireland is no longer as associate nation.. tho you'd hardly think so given the paltry number of Tests they have played since gaining that status. We have yet to play them. ICC is an absolute joke when it comes to furthering the global aspirations of our sport.

Last edited:
CA must keep the Shield at 10 games per state, this should be non negotiable in my opinion.
Here here. Surely there has not been talk of reducing the 10 rounds.
Over every pure cricket devotee' dead body. Expand it by all means. Start the comp early in our north and run it thru all rounds to its inclusion. Give it back the respect it deserves.

Give Swepson his debut and rest Lyon.

There are plans to tour Pakistan for three Tests from next month, while series in Sri Lanka (set for later this year) and India (expected to be held in 2023)
India put back to 2023 now? WTC schedule has it being played Oct/Nov this year.

Last edited:
We have already had him Luke. What did he do that was any better than past bowling coaches. Nothing. What he did do, along with Boof Lehmann was deny some worthy bowlers a chance for a Baggy Green, simply because they rated them too slow. Who is our current bowling coach anyway?
I also want Buck Rogers as our batting coach.

Completely improved our bowling actually. Our bowling got worse when we got rid of him funny that.

No I don’t want Rogers at all somehow the bloke rates that crab Harris

Completely improved our bowling actually. Our bowling got worse when we got rid of him funny that.

No I don’t want Rogers at all somehow the bloke rates that crab Harris
I'm sure if you were to face Ellis in the nets he'd bowl you out.

Same if you were bowling to Harris he'd hit you for six.

No need to be salty.

I'm sure if you were to face Ellis in the nets he'd bowl you out.

Same if you were bowling to Harris he'd hit you for six.

No need to be salty.

I'm not salty at all, he's just an awful opener. Sorry to be frank but if you aren't averaging 40+ this series it's a rubbish series. We have younger options that have a lot more potential to actually be great openers.

I'm not salty at all, he's just an awful opener. Sorry to be frank but if you aren't averaging 40+ this series it's a rubbish series. We have younger options that have a lot more potential to actually be great openers.
I reckon you are being salty.
The way how things have worked out is that people who play in any t20 leagues get played in tests. It's a test for their concentration level.
Sure you might hate a lot of what's happening.
But things have changed.
Back when Mark Waugh was a selector he went about not giving games to unknowns who weren't good enough to play for Australia.
These days you will find that George Bailey is the Selector and will pick players who are playing like their Aussie heroes who are playing test match cricket.

Guys like Scott Boland who was a relatively unknown started to play like a really good fast bowler. Got his chance in the Boxing Day test.
Marnus Labrushae played t20 first up then made his way through the ranks.

Look at those guys go now.

Mitch Marsh is even trying to play test cricket again. Why? Look at his batting. He won a t20 world cup due to seeing every delivery like they were beach balls. Yet people think he's not that good.
They don't go by batting averages these days.

Yet people think he's not that good.
Sooz Mitch Marsh is a terrific white ball batsman because the ball does not move and he has a great eye and immense power. But he lacks the technique needed at Test level. He plays with hard hands, his footwork is slow and he is too loose against the moving ball. He has been given countless chances and still averages well under @30. Only a little better at FC level.

Sooz Mitch Marsh is a terrific white ball batsman because the ball does not move and he has a great eye and immense power. But he lacks the technique needed at Test level. He plays with hard hands, his footwork is slow and he is too loose against the moving ball. He has been given countless chances and still averages well under @30. Only a little better at FC level.
I'm a fan of his. I'm not ashamed to say that either.
I've seen him play well when everyone else has had a shocker and still get blamed for the shocking day.

He's great at both forms of the game.

Test level he needs to improve and keep improving.
You need to understand that test level tests your concentration level.

Both Mitch and Shaun have their concentration levels right at all levels.
It's just that they get out a lot.
Sometimes through injuries and the like.

Only because he coaches him at the Vics. What is he going to say when asked if he is ready again for Test cricket, No? He'll back his charge to the hilt..
I think marcus is going slowly but is ok. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to get your eye in against a bowler that might get you out.

It's a bit like seeing Glenn McGrath get his first 50 which took him ages to do so. Luckily his bowling was awesome.

I'm a fan of his. I'm not ashamed to say that either.
..and that is fine. I used to rate him too back in his early days after he led Australia to a Under 19 World Cup. Hoped that he'd be able to make the switch to state red ball cricket and beyond. I copped plenty of flack pushing his Test case yet when he finally did make a baggy green cap he contstantly let down all of us.

Back