Australia vs England - The Ashes 2021/22

Was busy with Russian Christmas missed a lot. Went days 3 and 5. Great test match.

Notes:

1. People are getting carried away with Khawaja he isn't an opener. Filled in well but he'll go back to being reserve.
2. Greens bowling is so underrated.
3. We were way too short on this pitch
4. Yet again Lyon was dreadful on day 5, bloke is as threatening as by Nanna bowling. Get some variations!

According to Foxcricket who had an interview with the CA people it's not nonsense.
He's not going to be heading over there.
I see nothing on either the FoxCricket or CA websites re Hazlewood not going to Pakistan?
I did read this Jan 8 on FoxC..
The fast bowler hasn’t played since the first Test in Brisbane but is hopeful of featuring against the Kiwis and Sri Lankans before Australia’s Test tour of Pakistan in March.

Hasn't done it for 4 years.
Means nothing. Like riding a bike. I'd say in those four years his technique against the moving new ball has improved too.

As for Carey.. early days. Nothing wrong with his glovework. As I see it, he has as yet not worked out a good relationship with his cordon.. specially Warner. There is a reluctance to dive in case it is seen as Warner's catch. If Carey's full stretched dive finds his glove level with Warner then first slip is too close. Thus his reluctance to not dive on those two occasions. The one he spilled also looked to reflect that uncertainty of whether he or Warner should go.

Last edited:
Means nothing. If you can open you can play anywhere.. dos not work the other way around.

As for Carey.. early days. As I see it, he has as yet not worked out a good relationship with his cordon.. specially Warner. There is a reluctance to dive in case it is seen as Warner's catch. If Carey does a full dive and his glove ends level with Warner then first slip is too close. Thus his reluctance to not dive on those two occasions. The one he spilled also looked to reflect that uncertainty of whether he or Warner should go.

I'd rather pick one of the 3 younger options to open. Nice to see Pucovski get some local runs this week that's a positive too.

Carey is a very reactionary keeper has been his whole career, him in the sub continent will be a disaster

reactionary keeper
Isn't that what a keeper is supposed to be. There are degrees of reaction. I put Carey in the FAST but UNCERTAIN reaction category. Nothing wrong with Carey's catching down the leg side.. has snaffled some ripper catches and stops.. why because he is not bothered by slippers. His problem is spacial awareness with his slips cordon. Can be remedied and must as we have plenty of Test matches over next 12 months.
him in the sub continent will be a disaster
If you are referring to his standing up to spin. Well that has been exemplary this series.

I'd rather pick one of the 3 younger options to open.
Me too. But they are not in the squad and Usman is coming off twin centuries. He is now undropable so it is either Harris or Head to make way. Head's saving grace is his big 100 on easy paced deck with two bowlers off the park and a shell shocked spinner. Harris has made one decent score this series.. but in between he is back to his getting a start and fluffing it. There must be a mental barrier. Still he is what 30.. so no point in persevering with him any longer. Surely Bailey and Langer must now see that.

Last edited:
I see nothing on either the FoxCricket or CA websites re Hazlewood not going to Pakistan?
I did read this Jan 8 on FoxC..
The fast bowler hasn’t played since the first Test in Brisbane but is hopeful of featuring against the Kiwis and Sri Lankans before Australia’s Test tour of Pakistan in March.

Isn't that what a keeper is supposed to be. There are degrees of reaction. I put Carey in the FAST but UNCERTAIN reaction category. Nothing wrong with Carey's catching down the leg side.. has snaffled some ripper catches and stops.. why because he is not bothered by slippers. His problem is spacial awareness with his slips cordon. Can be remedied and must as we have plenty of Test matches over next 12 months.

If you are referring to his standing up to spin. Well that has been exemplary this series.

He dives WAY too much to be consistent. Every keeper always says the less you dive the more your footwork is in sinc. Has an awful habit of leaving balls too.

He’s already dropped a couple off Lyon. Let’s not pretend he’s been brilliant.

It’s not close I’d play Inglis or Paine

Me too. But they are not in the squad and Usman is coming off twin centuries. He is now undropable so it is either Harris or Head to make way. Head's saving grace is his big 100 on easy paced deck with two bowlers off the park and a shell shocked spinner. Harris has made one decent score this series.. but in between he is back to his getting a start and fluffing it. There must be a mental barrier. Still he is what 30.. so no point in persevering with him any longer. Surely Bailey and Langer must now see that.

Harris is awful but Khawaja opening doesn’t help anyone. I just don’t see the point

All that is saying is he isn’t fit this match that’s it. Having listened to Hazelwood his main goal is test cricket. A side strain was never going to be fixed in a week it’s a 6-8 week injury at a minimum. Just wish the medical staff were honest from the start. He’ll be in our test side for quite a few years to come. It’s a good thing we have some depth now so we aren’t running bowlers into the ground

Khawaja opening doesn’t help anyone. I just don’t see the point
Helps the Baggy Greens if he can get us off to a good start to build a platform. I am happy for him to bat #1/2 or #5. Prefer opening with his underage cricket mate Dave Warner.

Last edited:
We beat safrica 2-0. Was good series win.

i think shaheen will be too good for Ozzie bats.
That is the tall guy similar elevation to our Cameron Green.
Better than his 5 @37 in Australia in '19/20. I was more impressed by Shah. Just reading that he will just turn 19 years before we arrive in March.. Is that correct given he played here over two years ago.

Last edited:
Back