Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

re: Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

Slip;369495 said:
How the only real change is a real wicket taker in lee for siddle.

Hauritz who we should have played in the last test.

And the young hughes over the ageing haddin.

Would have won 4-0.
Well for one you are dropping one of Australias best batsmen in Marcus North who you couldnt really call old when you still have Mike Hussey in the team or you are dropping a 24 year old 2nd leading wicket taker for the series for a bloke who is 32 and averages over 40 after 2 series in England

eddiesmith;369504 said:
Well for one you are dropping one of Australias best batsmen in Marcus North who you couldnt really call old when you still have Mike Hussey in the team or you are dropping a 24 year old 2nd leading wicket taker for the series for a bloke who is 32 and averages over 40 after 2 series in England

For mine marcus north was to inconsistent.
he would follow up a hundred with a duck.

And i would keep hussey in the side over north for the pure fact that his best is 2 x better than norths.

Lee would have taken more wickets than siddle in that series had he played, IMO he is faster, has a better line and length, and is better with the bat.

And on your comment on average 40 on 2 series' in england his last series he was half the bowler he has been since and is now.

I don't think i saw siddle in the champions trophy.

Slip;369508 said:
For mine marcus north was to inconsistent.
he would follow up a hundred with a duck.

And i would keep hussey in the side over north for the pure fact that his best is 2 x better than norths.

Lee would have taken more wickets than siddle in that series had he played, IMO he is faster, has a better line and length, and is better with the bat.

And on your comment on average 40 on 2 series' in england his last series he was half the bowler he has been since and is now.

I don't think i saw siddle in the champions trophy.
He is a better bowler? Really? Cos the 1 team he played both then and recently, India in India, he had the same result, average of 60 both times :D

Oh and your last comment answers alot, you are legally blind if you didnt see him, but it seems you missed out on Siddle being Australias equal LEADING wicket taker and at the best average of the 3, so yet again he outbowled Lee

eddiesmith;369523 said:
He is a better bowler? Really? Cos the 1 team he played both then and recently, India in India, he had the same result, average of 60 both times :D

Oh and your last comment answers alot, you are legally blind if you didnt see him, but it seems you missed out on Siddle being Australias equal LEADING wicket taker and at the best average of the 3, so yet again he outbowled Lee
Why do you keep looking at the series' that lee hasn't played well in.

This year lee is averaging in ODI's 22.21 at a S/R of 26.
Siddle is averaging at 36 at a S/R of 54.

Even hilfenhaus is outbowling him in ODI's (and test's) at an avg of 35 and a S/R of 45.

And Since lee has came back from injury not once has he let the team down.

Slip;369557 said:
Why do you keep looking at the series' that lee hasn't played well in.

This year lee is averaging in ODI's 22.21 at a S/R of 26.
Siddle is averaging at 36 at a S/R of 54.

Even hilfenhaus is outbowling him in ODI's (and test's) at an avg of 35 and a S/R of 45.

And Since lee has came back from injury not once has he let the team down.
Because the series Lee went well in were against the minnows from the West Indies and New Zealand, just looking at when he played good teams

But yeah he never let Australia down whilst being spanked against India or when he averaged 249 against South Africa! Unless you mean his latest injury when he got carted all over England by Gayle oh wait, he has been injured again since then, great reliable bowler, which injury are you talking about?

Lets look at it this way, Lee played the home series against South Africa, averaged 249 and they lost, he didnt play in South Africa and they won. Wouldnt have helped in India as he has played 10 tests there alongside Warne and McGrath and been spanked every time

But ODIs are Lees better form, it never has and never will = test form, Siddle has done well in his first ever year of ODI cricket especially as he hasnt played much for Victoria in the shorter forms of the game, will continue to be a good backup bowler when injuries strike whilst being their strike bowler in tests, Lee is finished!

eddiesmith;369567 said:
Because the series Lee went well in were against the minnows from the West Indies and New Zealand, just looking at when he played good teams

But yeah he never let Australia down whilst being spanked against India or when he averaged 249 against South Africa! Unless you mean his latest injury when he got carted all over England by Gayle oh wait, he has been injured again since then, great reliable bowler, which injury are you talking about?

Lets look at it this way, Lee played the home series against South Africa, averaged 249 and they lost, he didnt play in South Africa and they won. Wouldnt have helped in India as he has played 10 tests there alongside Warne and McGrath and been spanked every time

But ODIs are Lees better form, it never has and never will = test form, Siddle has done well in his first ever year of ODI cricket especially as he hasnt played much for Victoria in the shorter forms of the game, will continue to be a good backup bowler when injuries strike whilst being their strike bowler in tests, Lee is finished!

His latest injury im talking about.

Even he said himself, he's more determined to be a better bowl and take his opportunties after missing the ashes, and SINCE then like i said before he hasn't let the team down.

And lee adds more to the team, With him and mitchell johnson as the out and out quicks, it leaves hilfenhaus or hauritz with the control.

Siddle is not quick enough to be a fast bowler like johnson or lee, and doesn't have good control either.

Siddle did NOT out bowl Lee in the Champions trophy. Yes, on stats he did, but the wickets he got were lower order or in unpredictable bursts.

Only once did Siddle do what he was there for, when he was put on to break up a partnerhip as a last resort, eating out his overs for the death. Only then did he play a major part in securing that 'title' as best bowler.

The strange thing is that he is in the side in replace of Bracken. What does Bracken do? Economy and essential wickets. What did Siddle do? Uneconomical (he went for more runs then Lee) and took wickets in times in matches when either the damage was done or it didn't matter because other bowlers had already taken the vital wickets.

Lee was the best bowler in the world and really stood up in replace of McGrath. I don't care what is said about the taking lower order players and capitalising off other people's bowling. If anyone does that it is Siddle.

Also Lee plays in the spirit of the game. Yes he is a bit of a show pony, but he does play fairly and sportsmanlike. Siddle just acts like an absolute prick. It makes me ashamed that he is Australian. In the Champions League last night against the Delhi Daredevils he argued with the umpire, spat behind his back, yelled at his fellow teammates (who I assure you didn't give a sorry or nice look back) and he prances around trying to get the already crazy Indian crowd angry. He doesn't shake hands with the opposition at the end of the game, it's more of a slap and go, he doesn't speak to any of them, and from what I can see he doesn't listen to his captain. I really don't know why Ponting persists with him.

Of course that's only what I can see from TV footage, it may be a different story in reality. But that doesn't explain why crowds hate him.

Siddle did NOT out bowl Lee in the Champions trophy. Yes, on stats he did, but the wickets he got were lower order or in unpredictable bursts.

Only once did Siddle do what he was there for, when he was put on to break up a partnerhip as a last resort, eating out his overs for the death. Only then did he play a major part in securing that 'title' as best bowler.

The strange thing is that he is in the side in replace of Bracken. What does Bracken do? Economy and essential wickets. What did Siddle do? Uneconomical (he went for more runs then Lee) and took wickets in times in matches when either the damage was done or it didn't matter because other bowlers had already taken the vital wickets.

Lee was the best bowler in the world and really stood up in replace of McGrath. I don't care what is said about the taking lower order players and capitalising off other people's bowling. If anyone does that it is Siddle.

Also Lee plays in the spirit of the game. Yes he is a bit of a show pony, but he does play fairly and sportsmanlike. Siddle just acts like an absolute prick. It makes me ashamed that he is Australian. In the Champions League last night against the Delhi Daredevils he argued with the umpire, spat behind his back, yelled at his fellow teammates (who I assure you didn't give a sorry or nice look back) and he prances around trying to get the already crazy Indian crowd angry. He doesn't shake hands with the opposition at the end of the game, it's more of a slap and go, he doesn't speak to any of them, and from what I can see he doesn't listen to his captain. I really don't know why Ponting persists with him.

Of course that's only what I can see from TV footage, it may be a different story in reality. But that doesn't explain why crowds hate him.

boris;369574 said:
siddle did not out bowl lee in the champions trophy. Yes, on stats he did, but the wickets he got were lower order or in unpredictable bursts.

Only once did siddle do what he was there for, when he was put on to break up a partnerhip as a last resort, eating out his overs for the death. Only then did he play a major part in securing that 'title' as best bowler.

The strange thing is that he is in the side in replace of bracken. What does bracken do? Economy and essential wickets. What did siddle do? Uneconomical (he went for more runs then lee) and took wickets in times in matches when either the damage was done or it didn't matter because other bowlers had already taken the vital wickets.

Lee was the best bowler in the world and really stood up in replace of mcgrath. I don't care what is said about the taking lower order players and capitalising off other people's bowling. If anyone does that it is siddle.

Also lee plays in the spirit of the game. Yes he is a bit of a show pony, but he does play fairly and sportsmanlike. Siddle just acts like an absolute prick. It makes me ashamed that he is australian. In the champions league last night against the delhi daredevils he argued with the umpire, spat behind his back, yelled at his fellow teammates (who i assure you didn't give a sorry or nice look back) and he prances around trying to get the already crazy indian crowd angry. He doesn't shake hands with the opposition at the end of the game, it's more of a slap and go, he doesn't speak to any of them, and from what i can see he doesn't listen to his captain. I really don't know why ponting persists with him.

Of course that's only what i can see from tv footage, it may be a different story in reality. But that doesn't explain why crowds hate him.

exactly. :)

Glad to see you've started posting. I was feeling lonely by myself on my antiSiddle bandwagon.

Boris;369578 said:
Glad to see you've started posting. I was feeling lonely by myself on my antiSiddle bandwagon.

haha I've joined the bandwagon.
Now we just have to convince eddiesmith. :confused:

Slip;369579 said:
haha I've joined the bandwagon.
Now we just have to convince eddiesmith. :confused:

I think I have given up.

I would change my opinion if Siddle produces more then one good performance in five innings at any one time or eddie puts forward a good case.

Full respect to him though, he's just as stubborn as I am. It's been good 'dueling' with him.

What's all the hate being laid on Siddle for?

Saying he is unsportsmanlike is a bit rich, I remember him shaking Tendulkars hand immediately after he broke the 12 000 run barrier.

You'll be hating everyone if you hate a fast bowler because he yells at his team mates and argues with the umpire.

Siddle is a promising young bowler who has done everything asked of him so far against quality opposition in India and SA and good opposition in England.

Get off his back, or I will hunt you down and do you harm if Edwards paper rounds. (LOL, jokes)

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;369590 said:
What's all the hate being laid on Siddle for?

Saying he is unsportsmanlike is a bit rich, I remember him shaking Tendulkars hand immediately after he broke the 12 000 run barrier.

You'll be hating everyone if you hate a fast bowler because he yells at his team mates and argues with the umpire.

Siddle is a promising young bowler who has done everything asked of him so far against quality opposition in India and SA and good opposition in England.

Get off his back, or I will hunt you down and do you harm if Edwards paper rounds. (LOL, jokes)

He can put in some good performances, but he's to inconsistent.
Yes, he's only young he will improve but like i have been saying i think lee should be ahead of him at the moment.

Lee is hardly consistent either, but you are right, Lee went for less runs per over, an entire 0.05 runs per over :D

But I dont agree with this lower order wickets rubbish, he got 0 tail enders out in the Champions Trophy, in fact 4 of his wickets were opening batsmen, one was the oppositions highest scorer for the game and only the West Indian middle order wicket could be counted cheap. In fact for him picking up cheap wickets when the damage is done, in the finals he broke partnerships in each spell when brought back and in the actual final he got rid of the oppositions only decent batsman for a duck

So yeah the damage was already done when he picked up the oppositions opening batsmen in the first spell 3 times, or when he broke 2 vital partnerships during another game :)

Compare that to Lee who had 50% of his wickets during the tournament were tailenders

Oh and I love Lee's version of the spirit of cricket, dont bother appealling for LBWs, start celebrating with the keeper, maybe give the umpire a momentary glance when already past the batsman then stand around hands on hips whingeing and abusing when the umpire and batsman are standing there wondering WTF he is doing :D

eddiesmith;369616 said:
Lee is hardly consistent either, but you are right, Lee went for less runs per over, an entire 0.05 runs per over :D

But I dont agree with this lower order wickets rubbish, he got 0 tail enders out in the Champions Trophy, in fact 4 of his wickets were opening batsmen, one was the oppositions highest scorer for the game and only the West Indian middle order wicket could be counted cheap. In fact for him picking up cheap wickets when the damage is done, in the finals he broke partnerships in each spell when brought back and in the actual final he got rid of the oppositions only decent batsman for a duck

So yeah the damage was already done when he picked up the oppositions opening batsmen in the first spell 3 times, or when he broke 2 vital partnerships during another game :)

Compare that to Lee who had 50% of his wickets during the tournament were tailenders

Oh and I love Lee's version of the spirit of cricket, dont bother appealling for LBWs, start celebrating with the keeper, maybe give the umpire a momentary glance when already past the batsman then stand around hands on hips whingeing and abusing when the umpire and batsman are standing there wondering WTF he is doing :D

And you dont find anything wrong with siddles.

And this isn't just about the CT its about recent form in chosing the test side.
On recent form you have to include the england 7-game series in which lee dominated compared to siddle.

Siddle was only picked in the chamions trophy because bracken was injured.

Slip;369618 said:
And you dont find anything wrong with siddles.

And this isn't just about the CT its about recent form in chosing the test side.
On recent form you have to include the england 7-game series in which lee dominated compared to siddle.

Siddle was only picked in the chamions trophy because bracken was injured.
Whats wrong with Siddles appealling? He even appeals to the umpire when he bowls someone :D

As for including England, of course Lee did better, Siddle only played 2 matches! Yet in the one game they did play together, Siddle did the economical job, 1/22 off 8 overs with Lee picking up 2/48 off 8 including the no11, so that would be more than double the e/r of Siddle, yet some want to bag Siddle for being 0.05 runs an over worse than Lee in the Champions Trophy?

Its time to admit that Siddle is the future and in test cricket he will stay, in ODIs Lee will keep leading the attack, getting slogged most weeks, picking up wickets occassionally and Siddle will continue to learn the art of Limited overs cricket through state and odd Australian games and one day will be better than Lee in all forms of the game

But yes Siddle was only picked due to injury and that wont change in the limited overs formats, he is just beginning, but in the test stuff he is the real deal already and better than Lee could hope for, besides with half a dozen injuries in 12 months, I doubt Australia want the risk of taking Lee into a test series these days

eddiesmith;369621 said:
Whats wrong with Siddles appealling? He even appeals to the umpire when he bowls someone :D

As for including England, of course Lee did better, Siddle only played 2 matches! Yet in the one game they did play together, Siddle did the economical job, 1/22 off 8 overs with Lee picking up 2/48 off 8 including the no11, so that would be more than double the e/r of Siddle, yet some want to bag Siddle for being 0.05 runs an over worse than Lee in the Champions Trophy?

Its time to admit that Siddle is the future and in test cricket he will stay, in ODIs Lee will keep leading the attack, getting slogged most weeks, picking up wickets occassionally and Siddle will continue to learn the art of Limited overs cricket through state and odd Australian games and one day will be better than Lee in all forms of the game

I remember that against south africa i think. But thats just arrogance:cool:

The 2/48 of 8 was probably lee's 2nd worst performance of the series and a problem of those runs was the free hits of the no-balls. Were talking about the test side here so there aren't free hits, just imagine how much more economical lee would have been.

And lee's job is to take wickets if your'e striking every 26 deliveries your going to stay in the side.
Siddle took a wicket every 54 balls in the 2 matches he played.

And you mentioned his 1/22 of 8, but i think you forgot his 0/50 of 10.
Meanwhile when lee went for 50 he also took 5 wickets.

Slip;369624 said:
I remember that against south africa i think. But thats just arrogance:cool:

The 2/48 of 8 was probably lee's 2nd worst performance of the series and a problem of those runs was the free hits of the no-balls. Were talking about the test side here so there aren't free hits, just imagine how much more economical lee would have been.

And lee's job is to take wickets if your'e striking every 26 deliveries your going to stay in the side.
Siddle took a wicket every 54 balls in the 2 matches he played.

And you mentioned his 1/22 of 8, but i think you forgot his 0/50 of 10.
Meanwhile when lee went for 50 he also took 5 wickets.
Yeah he did take 0/50 off 10, in I think his 2nd ever ODI game, shocking figures that...

As for the free hits, no, but as seen in England 4 years ago there is a great chance of when Lee finally bowls a rare wicket taking delivery in test cricket, it will be a no ball and there is a life to the batsman which you cannot often afford

eddiesmith;369683 said:
Yeah he did take 0/50 off 10, in I think his 2nd ever ODI game, shocking figures that...

As for the free hits, no, but as seen in England 4 years ago there is a great chance of when Lee finally bowls a rare wicket taking delivery in test cricket, it will be a no ball and there is a life to the batsman which you cannot often afford

I think lee has only once taken a wicket of a no ball in test cricket.
Even glenn mcgrath has so it doesn't make you a bad test bowler.

So you praise siddle when he gets solid figures in one game, and bowls terrible in another and its ok because its only his second game.

Also thats 1/22 was against england so that is not impressive.
Were as lee performed against all countries.

Back