Australian Twenty20 Re-vamp

Not a fan at all. Apparently this will replace the entire one-day comp so there'll be no domestic 45 or 50-over cricket if I've interpreted the article correctly. Considering that the 2015 World Cup will still be a 50-over tournament this appears to be highly irresponsible by CA and is mainly a money grab.

I'm pretty sure that 45 or 50-over cricket would still be able to co-incide with this new tournament duting the 2011/12 domestic season.

We already have international players in our T20 comp. Ross Taylor, Kieron Pollard, Shahid Afridi, Daniel Vettori to name a few. We don't need another IPL. money hungry millionaires should spend their money elsewhere

This is something that needs to be done. Yes, it is a money grab, but so what? It is also a great chance to market the game to people who won't normally care a fig for the game. Research from CA has shown that with regards to young people, and females, cricket really doesn't have much of an attraction.

That is not good at all. And CA needs to do something about it sooner rather than later.

The Shield and the One Day Domestic competition both run at a loss. More money more allow us to grow the game further at grass roots level, and allow us to take cricket to the indigenous population and allow talented indigenous youngsters to pursue a career in cricket. The indigenous population is an untapped resource with regards to cricket talent.

This competition needs to be done, of that I have no doubt.

Money is important because without it you cannot develop the game at a grass-roots level, and at the end of the day, that is where the superstars of the next generation will come from.

Back