Average Speed for age

Re: Average Speed for age

how is everyone measuring there pace? I am the fastest bowler of my age that i have met around my district so far and when i went to hampshire trials i was the fastest there ,but how do you guys measure an accurate speed? are you using a stopwatch?

It depends on lots of things

Strenght
Texhnique
Height
Experiance
Development

when I was 12/13/14 I bowled seamers left arm over

slow slow pace maybe hitting 50 MPH

I would rare in and bowl perfect line and length and swing the ball both ways

sadly hurt my back and now bowl leggies

Just a little word of caution, any speed gun is only as accurate as the person operating it!

I have played at most levels and for people who are playing for opening bowlers of the club teams of the respective ages, I'd say that these are the speed ranges.

U9: 35-50mph
U11: 45-50mph
U13: 45-55mph
U15: 55-67mph
U16: 60-70mph

For a reference the kid who was the faster bowler at an under 11 competition last year was hitting 55mph. So I guess the figures from manee are in the right ball park.

manee said:
I have played at most levels and for people who are playing for opening bowlers of the club teams of the respective ages, I'd say that these are the speed ranges.

U9: 35-50mph
U11: 45-50mph
U13: 45-55mph
U15: 55-67mph
U16: 60-70mph

well this sucks...
i thought i was bowling quick lol

Not really, it tends to plateau around the 70 - 75mph mark although there are always variations. Manee has flagged up what I would call the 'quickest' in each age range.

If you were to play for a club in the Premier division of a region in the UK, you would expect to face bowling around 75 - 80mph - or an average county bowler.

Though there is more to it than pace (accuracy, consistency, swing, movement etc), speed is a vital thing.

You to think that the batsman at that level will have better reactions and pick the ball up quicker, so someone trundling in at 65mph is going to be easier to put away than someone at 85mph.

If you can rush a batsman through their stroke you always have a chance of a wicket, also, have you ever tried to play a ball swinging at 80mph :eek:hmy:.

Generally, as you move up a 'standard' the bowling will gain a few yards of pace.

So you'll know how hard it can be to face that, especially if you're not a great batsman.

Speed is one thing that marks out most sports, if you can run quicker, bowl faster, anticipate before others etc then you'll always do well.

Back