Barclay Shield 2017/18

Looks like Sam Sheehan picked the right weekend to get married after all. With 9 of his ones teammates either part of the wedding party or on the guest list, it was looking like a great opportunity for Old Paradians to perhaps get a win on the board. It seems like the weather gods will intervene.

How far under the thumb are you to get married in cricket season? That's just silly. If you're going to do crap like that, you get married in the tea break.

Hopefully we'll see some common sense prevail with an early calling off of the round IF the forecast doesn't change and it is already warming up, by say, 10am. Otherwise there is nothing surer than games will play for no more than an hour then be called off.

Looks like Sam Sheehan picked the right weekend to get married after all. With 9 of his ones teammates either part of the wedding party or on the guest list, it was looking like a great opportunity for Old Paradians to perhaps get a win on the board. It seems like the weather gods will intervene.
Rosanna 'won' a GRANNY on the heat rule in the HDCA then got action shots of all their players in a premiership montage that still hangs in their rooms, until last footy season at I saw, at least.

One of the main issues is the umpires, some of whom are in their 70's. Unfortunately with duty of care etc, we're stuck with it.

I'd think this matter falls under voluntary assumption of risk. Besides the umpires are grown men, capable of making their own decisions, if they don't want to umpire on the hotter days they don't have to. Just as players don't have to put themselves up for selection. Umpires would be association members just as we players are club members, which along with insurance protects the organisations and committee against being sued.

In any case I don't think anyone should be umpiring if over 70. The eyes and ears won't be sharp enough to umpire effectively.

I dont think thats a good argument, its well known heat stroke can be very serious, and sure 99% wont be affected by it, but you have to think of those vulnerable, 50 year olds, 14 year olds, i think its upto the association to do the responsible thing.

I dont think thats a good argument, its well known heat stroke can be very serious, and sure 99% wont be affected by it, but you have to think of those vulnerable, 50 year olds, 14 year olds, i think its upto the association to do the responsible thing.

The effects of hitting the ground at terminal velocity are well known too, but skydiving is covered under voluntary assumption of risk. Why can't cricket? I assume you sign a form at your club that acknowledges the risks involved with cricket, we do. Sure, an organisation can't sign away negligence, but it would be difficult to prove considering a signature on such a form, the fact that we are adults and can say no and that we have been playing for many years.

It's just more nanny state BS frankly.

It's just more nanny state BS frankly.

Tell that to the wife and children of the men who have died playing in games where it's been heat effected.

We aren't professional players who look after our bodies as we should (you're the perfect example of this). We play local cricket, and as much as I hate missing games, to put anyone at risk is sheer stupidity.

Tell that to the wife and children of the men who have died playing in games where it's been heat effected.

Are you talking about a specific person(s) here or did you just pull that out your backside? The only on field death I'm aware of was told to me by a Thommo United player, many years ago someone died on the field of a heart attack, but it wasn't heat related.

I'm not saying there aren't dangers playing cricket, but if we are so concerned with player safety why are the DVCA not mandating the use of helmets. I've witness a team mate get struck in the head at the non strikers end while diving for the crease. He ended up being rushed to hospital with a blood clot on the brain. I've seen an ear busted and a ruptured ear drum from being struck while batting, the same bloke also suffered a split upper palette in his mouth years earlier, again from being hit batting. I even took one in the face keeping that busted my nose. Hell why stop there, I've seen a bowlers thumb ripped off when he stuck his hand out to a return catch that was smashed back at him, maybe we need to use a softer ball?

Come on Tongs, honestly, you have more chance of being killed in a car accident on the way to the ground than dying on the cricket field because it's hot. You've far more chance of being seriously injured by the ball and lets not mention how many of us smoke and drink. My point is that we are adults and have the right to choose.

The sport doesn't matter, it's that people who do it go in knowing and accepting the risk of something bad happening. As I said, if everyone is so concerned with player safety they'd making batting in a helmet mandatory.

The sport doesn't matter, it's that people who do it go in knowing and accepting the risk of something bad happening. As I said, if everyone is so concerned with player safety they'd making batting in a helmet mandatory.

Helmets arent really necessary against most bowlers in dvca except a few in A grade.

Back