Bowling Video - New General Muscle Soreness

Re: Bowling Video

Hey guys.

I went to the nets today, first time since aroudn the start of June. And man it felt bad. I mean, I can't wait for cricket to start again but I just bowled horrible. I think there is something horribly wrong with my action because I bowled about 2 good balls today. I bowled absolute trash. I had no rhythm at all, I was doing everything all over the place. And when I tried off spin they span the other f*cking way! God.

I will try and get a video up soon, I can't remember much about what was wrong today, there's too much to remember! I think maybe the way my whole body was facing was wrong, because I bowled so much straighter than normal, and straight as a bad thing, not as a good thing, like too straight. Everything just felt wrong!

Jonesy its probably just because of the gap in between your sessions that youve had.
No one is going to be good after having a month or two break, you just have to get out to the nets a bit more and hopefully you will get your rhythm back and it will feel alot more natrual

Yeh I guess a lot of this is because of the gap but it's just my action felt nothing like what my action felt like last season. It felt slower and it felt like it wasn't smooth and bits of it felt very wrong.

Do you play footy or anything in the off season cos you could be sore from that or if your not playing any sports you could just be slow cos your muscles are getting used to those actions again.

Went to the nets the other day, kinda got my rhythm back but I still wasn't great...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opxFsEwl1Xc"]YouTube - sxagfshadjnaj`1[/ame]

By the way that's a shortened run-up.

There's another video. I don't like how it looks at the start of my follow through. Is that because my non-bowling arm is finishing on the outside of my left leg, not the inside? I think for front on bowlers it is supposed to finish on the inside or was the something else? I tried it out in the backyard and I was following through straighter with it.

Your non bowling arm seems OK to me. Do try to relax a bit more though; before you start your run up, take a deep breath and lower your shoulder blades into your back pockets, relax your arms and allow them to swing naturally.

When you say its a shortened run up, have you changed your run up or was this just for the video?

The problem with shortening your run up for the video is that it disrupts your rhythm. I understand why you have to do it but what I see in this instance may be different with the usual run up.

Unfortunately, the capabilities of youtube are not good enough for me to give an accurate comment on Jonesy's head position. I would need to be able to take it frame-by-frame to comment properly. Also, half the head goes out of shot at a crucial moment so I do not have the complete picture.

Hey Liz, recently I have been feeling slight pains in my lower back at the same spot that was troubling me earlier on in the year. It isn't too bad, it doesn't trouble me too much, but I don't want it too come back and restrict me from bowling at the start of the season. I felt it today doing fitness work at school. I was on those 2 bars that are at like shoulder height and where you lift yourself up and then move along them with your arms, and when I did it one time I got pain in that area and I've had it other times doing other random stuff that doesn't usually take too much effort.

I'm just wondering why am I getting it again, will it start to become more regular and if I can prevent in any way?

Thanks.

Do you remember when it first happened Jonesy?

Do you think you pulled a muscle?

It could be overuse pain.

The amount of work you put your back through, you really do need to have great support... what conditioning do you do for your back core muscles?

Not really, umm I remember I hurt it once when I was bowling in the nets maybe 2 weeks ago, it only hurt for about 3 balls though, then it came back later on some other day and again another day when I wasn't doing much with my back at all.

Not really, I could bowl without pain after that and I still can bowl without pain usually, it very rarely effects my bowling. I haven't pulled a muscle before so I don't really know but yeh it doesn't restrict me from bowling usually so I wouldn't think so.

Yeh it could be. When I first got it, it was at the end of a long season where I had bowled a lot more than I had seasons before. I think it also might of been because my action wasn't too good back then but it very well could of been from overuse, buuuuuut the latest pains I've had haven't really been in intense situation, I mean the bar thing kinda was, but the other times haven't.

Lol, none? I did core work today (planks) but what do you recommend?

It reminds me of the new zealander Hitchcock because your left arm stays very close to your body throughout the action.

Liz the back pain is happening more often. Still not as severe as earlier this year but still uncomfortable. What should I do? Dad said he'd work on it but last time he worked on it, it only provided short term relief. I'll see how the acupuncture goes but what else should I do to treat it?

Definitely get your Dad to work on your back Jonesy; any relief is better than no relief.. acupuncture and sports massage.
I do not think the problem is your action but you may well be suffering from weakness caused by your earlier issues.

You do need to strengthen your back; planks are good... side planks better but make sure you 'stack' your heels, knees, hips and shoulders... keep your hips high.

Also practice the exercises on http://www.simplycricket.net/showthread.php?t=1409

Thanks a heap Liz!

Dad has booked me in to see a Naturopath (I dunno what they'd know in terms of backs, but yeh) tomorrow I think, so we'll see how that goes.

Didn't go - they haven't got back to us yet.

But the back is feeling better, I haven't felt much pain for a few days, lets hope its gone for good.

Back