Bowling Video - New General Muscle Soreness

Re: Bowling Video - New General Muscle Soreness

Jonesy;315960 said:
My bloody u16s keeper keeps up to the stumps to me, argh.

If communication fails... poke him in the eye!

Of course, we do not believe in violence of any kind on this site and the above was just a very poor joke. Please don't set Stumped on me. :D

Hahahaha.

So are you wanting to wait for the new video before you comment on my action?

If that is OK with you Jonesy. I could comment now but it may not be of any help. The orthotics will change your posture and anything I comment on now [good or bad] may not be applicable.

Heeyyyy Liz.

Got plastered up for orthotics a week ago. She said that my left leg is longer than my right leg, and as a result of that my left foot rolls in to shorten itself. She reckons that the lower back pain I had a while ago was caused by that as well. So I should get the orthotics in a little less than a week from now.

That is really interesting Jonesy.

When you are fitted, take it easy. Concentrate on the posture and do not be put off if your muscles complain a little. Remember to stretch your muscles every day :)

Don't send in a video until you are comfortable with your bowling again. It is amazing how just a couple of millimetres can make a difference.

Let us know how you get on.

I got my orthotics on Tuesday, and I've been told I have to wear them in, so I'll have a video up in about a week or so.

Alright, so now I'm having trouble swinging the ball - instead it cuts in. We've had 2 net sessions so far and I've swung about 3 balls so far. I'm guessing the off cut could be to do with my action/wrist position, but I haven't changed anything in my action since last season, when I was swinging it a mile, so I don't know what's up.

Anyway, here's a couple of videos of my action...

YouTube - MVI 1576

YouTube - MVI 1580

The second one really highlights my small second last step...

Hi Jonesy,

May I suggest you post these videos in a new thread, under something like 'Help with swinging'. You may get more viewings and more help.

I am afraid there is not enough there for me to see how to help you, although micoach may see something more. There are so many elements to swinging well, including the condition of the ball and wicket; moisture etc. I would need to be able to see your bowling in detail to give any constructive help. This would include a full movement range in situ. However, even then, it is hard to get the fine detail, especially with your wrist, that I would need via youtube.

On another matter, I am not too happy with what you are doing with your feet and your right ankle. Remember 'tramlines'; keep your feet parallel and do not cross them. Try to keep your head and, therefore, your trunk vertical.

Thanks for that.

I guess the feet thing has been embedded in my memory for so long, it's gonna be pretty hard to re-adjust? Bowled a bit at indoor nets today, found it pretty hard to bowl well and concentrate on keeping my feet apart.

Also, could the lack of swing be because my arms is coming through too low? It was something I noticed today, the ball wasn't shiny enough for me to get any swing on it, but I'd say with my arm coming through lower it would mean the seam would be pointing to leg slip, especially because I usually bowl with not much of a slant on the seam and my action helped it through last season.

Thanks Liz.

Jonesy;359328 said:
I guess the feet thing has been embedded in my memory for so long, it's gonna be pretty hard to re-adjust?

If you were my age, I probably would suggest you stay with what you have. However, you have quite a few years ahead of you and it really is best to get this sorted to maximise your obvious potential :)

Jonesy;359328 said:
Bowled a bit at indoor nets today, found it pretty hard to bowl well and concentrate on keeping my feet apart.

Also, could the lack of swing be because my arms is coming through too low? It was something I noticed today, the ball wasn't shiny enough for me to get any swing on it, but I'd say with my arm coming through lower it would mean the seam would be pointing to leg slip, especially because I usually bowl with not much of a slant on the seam and my action helped it through last season.

Lack of swing is more likely to do with the fact that you were indoors and the ball was not at its optimum for swinging. Of course, action can make a difference and it is well known that if you wish the ball to swing away from the bat, a good side on action is best. However, moisture under the pitch and/or moisture in the air is/are just as important. Or, of course, aiming for cracks in the wicket if you want the ball to move off it.

The condition of your ball does not sound conducive to swing either. You really want a pre-5 over ball for maximum results or post-40/45 over ball for reverse swing. Anything in between can have haphazard 'shining'! The slant of the seam is not [independently] a major factor.

Just an update, I've been trying to keep my legs away from each-other in the nets, it's feeling pretty uncomfortable but I guess I'll get there. Just wish I started to work on it at the start of the off-season as the first match is in a month...

I don't think you really got what I was trying to say with the slant thing - it was more to do with my arm positioning and stuff, but don't worry, it's all fine.

Starting to get my rhythm up now after a few disastrous weeks...

Just a question - I hate the look of my head coming down directly with my non-bowling arm. Is that problem (I'm guessing it is?) and what should I do to try to fix it?

With your action Jonesy, it would be better to keep your head level. This is going to be difficult to correct and will feel even more uncomfortable than the leg thing.

Have somebody stand in front of you as you bowl [sans ball]. As your non-bowling arm pumps down, make a point of laterally flexing your head in the opposite direction. Get feed back each time; ask the angle of your head. You will have to do this over and over and over and over... again.

If you make no improvements, then go back to walk though in front of a mirror. Make sure your shoulders are relaxed always.

Back