Brad Hodge to retire from First Class cricket

Re: Brad Hodge to retire from First Class cricket

Who knows?

Who isn't anyway?

Retired, injured or distracted, timing never was in Hodge's favour.

Sober Symonds;381287 said:
Boris, I recall you saying Hodge would be an ideal short-term replacement for Ponting if injured. Those comments were likely to have been made prior to Hodge's announcement of his retirement plans. What are your thoughts now?

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

As in Ponting's injury now (he will be playing regardless)?

Or a new replacement?

I'm not quite sure.

Sorry, I would like to know if you would consider Hodge as the ideal replacment for Ponting, should his arm keep him out of the Melbourne Test. (It looks like it probably won't now, so it's all academic.)

He has announced his retirement, but it hasn't really taken effect yet, and he boasts the same credentials he did when you made your earlier comments.

Personally I'd love to see it but either way it won't happen.

Ponting will play because he wont want someone coming in and putting pressure on Hussey

Sober Symonds;381410 said:
Sorry, I would like to know if you would consider Hodge as the ideal replacment for Ponting, should his arm keep him out of the Melbourne Test. (It looks like it probably won't now, so it's all academic.)

He has announced his retirement, but it hasn't really taken effect yet, and he boasts the same credentials he did when you made your earlier comments.

Personally I'd love to see it but either way it won't happen.

Yes, if I were a selector I would put him in as a 'sorry mate, have a Test to show you what you could have done and prove us wrong', considering that Ponting's spot is hardly under pressure and since the batting line-up is now seemingly set for a few years under the same sort of structure, is it worthwhile trying to bring through a youngster and threatening the Test if you know Hodgey has the experience to know what he can and will do?

I wouldn't see the selectors putting him in, in lieu of his announcement, but I personally would.

I was just listening to Gavin Robertson talking on Fox Sports News and he was stating how difficult a job it is for selectors to replace Ponting if the need arises. Bringing Hughes in, pushing Watson down, etc. would upset everyone else in the batting order because they are all worried about their spots, etc. He kept saying things like "What if Hughes makes 150 and you have to find a spot for him when Ponting returns?"

Well I don't know about you, but that would be a good thing, wouldn't it? Quite a healthy situation for the selectors, but no, we wouldn't want that because someone else might be put out. Speaks volumes for the current situation.

He also argued along the lines of Boris, by saying if all bowlers were fit, Bollinger should have to sit aside and wait his turn. You can have a go about Victorian bias as much as you like, guys, but I said yesterday I think Bollinger now deserves his for the time being, and Siddle can be considered the out-of-form bowler in the squad and perhaps carry the drinks.

I have more to say about Hughes and Bollinger but I'll wait for now.

Sober Symonds;381490 said:
I was just listening to Gavin Robertson talking on Fox Sports News and he was stating how difficult a job it is for selectors to replace Ponting if the need arises. Bringing Hughes in, pushing Watson down, etc. would upset everyone else in the batting order because they are all worried about their spots, etc. He kept saying things like "What if Hughes makes 150 and you have to find a spot for him when Ponting returns?"

Well I don't know about you, but that would be a good thing, wouldn't it? Quite a healthy situation for the selectors, but no, we wouldn't want that because someone else might be put out. Speaks volumes for the current situation.

He also argued along the lines of Boris, by saying if all bowlers were fit, Bollinger should have to sit aside and wait his turn. You can have a go about Victorian bias as much as you like, guys, but I said yesterday I think Bollinger now deserves his for the time being, and Siddle can be considered the out-of-form bowler in the squad and perhaps carry the drinks.

I have more to say about Hughes and Bollinger but I'll wait for now.

Yes, probably a good idea to keep the other ideas for the other thread.

Not interrupting the team by putting in Hodge for the boxing day Test would be the way to go after reading that. If Hughes does make 150 we are in a lot of trouble, confusing everything. Hodge can score 300 and we know he will be retiring.

But that leads to another question. If he gets picked, scores 300 and the selectors ask him to replace Hussey, would he still retire?

Boris;381494 said:
Yes, probably a good idea to keep the other ideas for the other thread.

Not interrupting the team by putting in Hodge for the boxing day Test would be the way to go after reading that. If Hughes does make 150 we are in a lot of trouble, confusing everything. Hodge can score 300 and we know he will be retiring.

But that leads to another question. If he gets picked, scores 300 and the selectors ask him to replace Hussey, would he still retire?

I like your thinking:)

Depends how many Hussey makes, doesn't it??? It's fanciful thinking, but if they did put Hodge in and he responded in that way, I dare say it would still be "bad luck son". He's heard that before, so no big deal. (He got the lemonade & sars after making 200 once, didn't he?;)

He would know he's not there as a long-term consideration, just to replace a particular person on one occasion.

Sober Symonds;381497 said:
I like your thinking:)

Depends how many Hussey makes, doesn't it??? It's fanciful thinking, but if they did put Hodge in and he responded in that way, I dare say it would still be "bad luck son". He's heard that before, so no big deal. (He got the lemonade & sars after making 200 once, didn't he?;)

He would know he's not there as a long-term consideration, just to replace a particular person on one occasion.

It would take quite a bit of delegation on the part of the selectors to make that happen.

I think Hodge has dropped the wrong form of the game to be honest. The ODI team has no openings, they have more batsmen than spots already. Plus are they going to pick a 38 year old or whatever to represent Australia at the World Cup for his second and last series, separated by quite a few years in between?

The Test team is in worse shape, so you would think he has a better chance of getting in there. Especially since Hussey is in trouble they would hopefully want to replace such an experienced guy with someone almost as experienced, remembering the amount of youngsters they have already.

If they wanted experience then Hodgey has 3 state team mates with plenty of experience and been averaging over 50 for a while

Not quite the experience I'm talking of. I think Hodge is a much more 'mature' player despite only playing the few games.

And I'm also trying to give him the send off he deserves without any possible conflictions with current selection plans.

eddiesmith;381563 said:
If they wanted experience then Hodgey has 3 state team mates with plenty of experience and been averaging over 50 for a while

Yes, but as has been the case with the likes of Hodge & Hussey so often in the past, the runs stop flowing just at the moment there's an opening of any sort.

Hussey's 0 & 1 will not help his cause one iota. White & McDonald should be keeping their names in the selectors' faces, but again, poor matches like this ease the pressure valve.

Rogers is still pounding on that door, but I guess the selectors feel they owe it to Hughes to give him another chance.

Sober Symonds;381691 said:
Yes, but as has been the case with the likes of Hodge & Hussey so often in the past, the runs stop flowing just at the moment there's an opening of any sort.

Hussey's 0 & 1 will not help his cause one iota. White & McDonald should be keeping their names in the selectors' faces, but again, poor matches like this ease the pressure valve.

Rogers is still pounding on that door, but I guess the selectors feel they owe it to Hughes to give him another chance.
I am sure every opener in Australia would love to bat first in a game just before the test squad is named against a team with no fast bowlers in their entire lineup

Lets face it, Hughes was always going to be picked as soon as a spot opened up to shut up all those whingers up north

Whilst Rogers has pissed someone off, somewhere, seems like a bit of a joker, probably doesnt fit in with mr serious the skipper

eddiesmith;381780 said:
Lets face it, Hughes was always going to be picked as soon as a spot opened up to shut up all those whingers up north
Irony.

Back