Brad Hodge to retire from First Class cricket

Re: Brad Hodge to retire from First Class cricket

Boris;378181 said:
Martin retired because he had Hussey and Symonds pushing from behind and he knew he was only going to get pushed back to state so he wanted to finish on top.

Rubbish

Just remember that Hodge had covered for his injury and got dropped so he could fail and retire

Thumbs up;378179 said:
You are drawing a pretty long bow here. Lets be fair he may have numerous reasons for retiring which he has not stated publicly, you don't know.
All I've said is that he hasn't cited any pressing issues - not even the gloriously vague 'personal reasons'. Yes, he has a young family, and his wife hasn't had the greatest health in recent years, but nothing has changed since the beginning of the season.

If something comes out showing there was a legitimate reason for such a hasty departure then I'll happily be less scathing - there's absolutely no reason to jump to that conclusion at this stage however.

Thumbs up;378179 said:
oh yeah how did you feel about martins retirement?
Martyn's retirement is a textbook example out of How To Burn Bridges and Alienate People. Pointing to Martyn and saying "he was worse" is hardly a ringing endorsement.

He either need to say he was going to retire by game X this season before the season or announce shortly before or after the last game of the season that it was going to be then.

He might just want to have christmas to himself...

Realistically he was born a few years too late. With only 5 spots up for grabs you really need a certain amount of luck.

The last few years have been a farce and Hodgey is hardly on his own when it comes to people ****** over by Australian selection "policy".

It must really hurt knowing that you could have been a gun Australian player had you just been given the chance. I was very disappointed that he didn't unleash on Australia today.

It is clear that he was not one of the boys. Ponting or Clarke didn't like him which rules out any chance of selection. There is no other justification and lets face it, the national team has long been a case of selection for the boys. It works when you have 5 all time greats in the one side but things fall to shit when the greats are no longer there. This is all for another thread.

Hopefully Brad goes on to make mega$ playing in the IPL.

Caesar;378190 said:
All I've said is that he hasn't cited any pressing issues - not even the gloriously vague 'personal reasons'. Yes, he has a young family, and his wife hasn't had the greatest health in recent years, but nothing has changed since the beginning of the season.

If something comes out showing there was a legitimate reason for such a hasty departure then I'll happily be less scathing - there's absolutely no reason to jump to that conclusion at this stage however.

Martyn's retirement is a textbook example out of How To Burn Bridges and Alienate People. Pointing to Martyn and saying "he was worse" is hardly a ringing endorsement.

The conclusion jumping seems to be coming from both sides. As a victorian I am happy for him, he has served his state well and will be fondly remembered. I do not begrudge him the opportunity to cash in, as many international cricketers have.

Another thing he said in the article is that it would increase the amount of time his body will have left. He is aiming to be part of the 2011 World Cup, but I can't see that happening. What I would be aiming to do is to take advantage of Clarke's injury.

It is quite likely Clarke will need some more time off and surgery at some point. If Hodge keeps averaging 102, he is the best player you could hope for to play as a replacement player. If he then goes well in Tests and Hussey starts to fail again or North puts himself under pressure, then he will have just found himself a spot.

There is more chance of that happening than him getting a spot in the 2011 WC at age 37 with no guarantees on form.

If he wants to prolong and enhance his cricket life, then dump the stupid idea of IPL, no playing in the Big Bash, and ask for Cricket Victoria to cut him some slack with the one dayers.

It's his choice though, and I'm glad he has made it.

Thumbs up;378208 said:
The conclusion jumping seems to be coming from both sides. As a victorian I am happy for him, he has served his state well and will be fondly remembered. I do not begrudge him the opportunity to cash in, as many international cricketers have.
What conclusions am I jumping to? There's no confusion. He's retired and given his reasons openly, which IMO are crappy justification for leaving his team in the lurch in the middle of the season. No assumptions required.

If he'd retired for reasons unclear I'd be quite willing to give him benefit of the doubt, but that's simply not the case.

In a way it's like a general retiring in the middle of a war really, when it take so long to appoint another one.

If he had declared this earlier Victoria could have covered for it and made sure his replacement was getting games. Now they have two games to prepare and although I'm sure the Vics won't have any trouble, the team might have more of a struggle to win now.

Reading the clowns on BF I feel people are missing the point.

From what I understand his wife has some health concerns regarding her heart, (if I remember correctly from a previous story a year or so ago). With Christmas coming up Hodge may have an urge to be with his family more and to consider his priorties. Im not going to judge him on that or say he was selfish, at the end of the day, he knows what is best for him - and he has, like most people in their mid 30's, got to a stage in his life where he does what is best for his family.

Hodge last played a test for Australia in the West Indies in 2008, and scored a 50 from memory.

At the end of the day the last place in the team from the 06/07 Ashes until the 2008/09 season was mainly between Symonds and Hodge. At the end of the day Symonds got the nod, Symonds had a good end to the 06/07 Ashes where he scored a ton at the MCG and took a number of vital wickets.

After the end of the Ashes we didn't play test cricket again until the next Australian summer against Sri Lanka and India.

In between that we had a WC and a ODI series in India, Hodge played a couple of games in the WC but he wasn't in your best side, we went through undefeated. The series in India in October 2007 was a disaster for Hodge, who simply had a shocking series.

That poor performance probably put him out of the test reckoning for the immeditate future, as we hadn't played test cricket for sometime it was hard to push his case for the 07/08 summer.

However, he still went to the West Indies in mid 2008 as the reserve and played at least one test match from memory.

We then had tours of India and the home Australian summer, this was a period of where the test team struggled to even look like taking 20 wickets, we needed to draft in an all-rounder which probably ruled Hodge out of a realistic chance of selection.

At the end of the day Hodge probably didn't play as much test cricket as he should have simply due to the fact that there wasn't a spot available, for a number of reasons. I don't think it had anything to do with his personality or his comments in the media, it was simply due to the needs of the team.

We were always looking at ways to get 20 wickets, the selectors were always going to lean towards players who could offer something with the ball, such as Watson, Symonds and Andrew McDonald.

Hodge is probably a better batsmen then all of those players - however Symonds cemented his spot during the 06/07 Ashes and then had a great year in the ODI format, he also had a good 07/08 test summer.

Hodge was simply unlucky, I also remember he got injured before a International T20 trying to put his pants on, which probably summed up his luck at times.

Hodge may feel bitter, but the needs of the team probably conspired against his selection at times.

This talk about him being not being liked doesn't appear to have any substance.

Hodge was dropped after the 05/06 summer probably due to concerns regarding his ability outside off. At the time Ian Chappell said Australia needed to get Clarke back into the team to combat the poms and their swing, Clarke had a great 06/07 Ashes so that move was justified.

In retrospect Hodge probably can feel hard done by that Martyn took his place and retired a year later, the reasons for that reinstatement can only be assumed and it is likely the real reason won't be revealed until after Ponting retires.

There was a thought that Hodge struggled with the short ball and had a weakness with the full ball outside off.

On the surface the decision to drop Hodge for Martyn was harsh, but Martyn played a pivotal innings in the 3rd test in SA. Apart from Hodges double ton, he probably didn't score enough runs in the 05/06 summer, a point Warne noted when the team for SA was announced.

All in all Hodge was probably a bit unlucky, but other playes have similar tales to tell, Darren Lehmann comes to mind, as does Andrew Bichel.

A great player, who would have been a success at test level, but there just wasn't a spot for him most of the time, for various reasons.

It is also worth noting that Hodge was a reserve batsmen for the Indian tour in 2004, the New Zealand tour in early 2005 and the tour to England following.

He was always in the selectors thoughts, but as I said earlier, sometimes things don't work out as you planned.

Hodge was certainly hugely unlucky on a number of occassions, and timing and team needs conspired against him. However I think it's justifiable to say he got screwed when they dumped him for Martyn. He was clearly the form batsman and hadn't really put a foot wrong.

I also think the fact he got put behind Symonds in the Test lineup was a disgrace. Symonds was an excellent one-day player but never a Test-quality allrounder, and as a batsman he was decidedly second-rate.

Hodge did miss part of the recent Shield game to be with his family, he has probably realised he cant be away for long periods of time alot anymore, something obviously happened this weekend and maybe it had him worried well what if it occurs when I'm in Perth at the start of a 4 day game?

As for a sudden announcement, they have 2 months to find a replacement from all the top young batsmen who others want in the team, they have 2 months to decide if the new batsman will bat at 3 or push up Duss and White and put them at 5, 2 months is not a sudden drop on them

Besides it is better for a player to step aside when they can no longer commit than keep dragging it out for the remainder of the season

What happens if the same incident that made him disappear on the weekend occurs when he is desperately needed to bat? The team is in trouble then

I say well done to him, not many can step aside when doing well for the benefit of a young player to stake their claim

eddiesmith;378259 said:
Hodge did miss part of the recent Shield game to be with his family, he has probably realised he cant be away for long periods of time alot anymore, something obviously happened this weekend and maybe it had him worried well what if it occurs when I'm in Perth at the start of a 4 day game?
Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I bet it won't stop him spending a couple of months in India next year playing IPL.

Caesar;378260 said:
Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I bet it won't stop him spending a couple of months in India next year playing IPL.

Exactly.

And good posts LtD, sums up everyone's thoughts.

Caesar;378214 said:
What conclusions am I jumping to? There's no confusion. He's retired and given his reasons openly, which IMO are crappy justification for leaving his team in the lurch in the middle of the season. No assumptions required.

If he'd retired for reasons unclear I'd be quite willing to give him benefit of the doubt, but that's simply not the case.

The point I was making was that you, and I, cannot conclude that we know all the circumstances (you have admittd this in your proclaied willingness to change your opimiom if more information comes to light).

Well I suppose that's a possibility, but Hodge was quite open about the circumstances prompting his decision in the press conference. There could be some deep, dark reason lurking in the shadows, but it hardly seems likely.

Quality batsman. Just born in the wrong state and showed loyality for playing for his state instead of chasing the baggy green.

Just so frustrating with Victoria dominating the domestic scene for 3 or 4 years yet our fellers don't get the chance to show it on the big stage very much.

A top class performer just in the wrong era as he might have played Test Cricket if he was from another nation.

The one question though is why the selectors never stuck with him but rather picked the player back from injury etc.

I suspect he will continue playing for the Kolkota Knight Riders in the last year of the initial contracts that were offered and signed.

Boris, I recall you saying Hodge would be an ideal short-term replacement for Ponting if injured. Those comments were likely to have been made prior to Hodge's announcement of his retirement plans. What are your thoughts now?

Back