Bridges?

Unspinable

Bridges?

Just a quick question guys,
For overall strength, is it better to do say, three 30 second bridges or two 1:30 bridges?

I can hold a bridge for almost two minutes, but am wondering if if is better just to do a couple more shorter ones, even though I barely feel them.
Thanks in advance,
Unspinnable

Re: Bridges?

When I played club football our team doctor type thing said that it was always better to hold them for longer periods of time, she never said why though.

Huge question.

First of all, if you can do the with good for for 2 minutes its too easy for you. Check your hip position though, if you are pulling your hips up or sinking them down it's cheating.

Assuming you are not cheating, you need to make it harder. Try elevating your feet on a bench or exercise ball. Try lifting one leg up. Then one arm, then all 4 limbs (not really on the last one kids).

Also only use them as part of an overall plan, they are not much use by themselves.

Finally jus tto mix things up, there is reseach that suggests you should do them in 10 second bursts with a quick reset to allow blood flow back into the muscle. If you do it that way you can do 10 secs on, knees down, take a breath, 10 more secs on, etc.

Ok thanks, 'm not sure fi I'm cheating, because my football coach can't find to big a problem with them, but then again, he doesn't really seem to know his stuff :)

Honestly... for overall strength, bridges aren't particularly helpful anyway.

I'm not generally a big t-nation fan because of the amount of crap bb stuff included, but here are a couple of switched on different takes on core training that are more effective and infinitely more fun and interesting to do.

T-Nation.com | Anterior Core Training=
T-Nation.com | Complete Core Training
T-Nation.com | Real "Core" Exercise=

I'm not sure how long I could hold a bridge/ plank for. I'm assuming it's til whenever I exploded with boredom. Even if you don't have access to a gym, cables, weights, etc., you should be able to take from the above links a few ways to change up core training.

[like I said - no big fan of t-nation here, but these are pretty okay articles. if you do read any of the stuff on there - read Eric Cresseys stuff, Mike Boyles, and I think it's Nate Green - they're generally switched on, esp. Cressey.]

Unspinable;343883 said:
Ok thanks, 'm not sure fi I'm cheating, because my football coach can't find to big a problem with them, but then again, he doesn't really seem to know his stuff :)

What you need is someone who knows what the normal curvature of the spine looks like. You should be in a perfect position during the plank/bridge.

MV! is right though, they are not brilliant in and of themselves but as part of an overall plan they have a role.

Back