Caricatures.

True, Lewis was always going to find it difficult to beat McEnroe in the final... unfortunately he played a marathon 5 sets to beat the South African Curren in the semi, which was going to make it even harder for him to beat McEnroe.

Last edited:
True, Lewis was always going to find it difficult to beat McEnroe in the final... unfortunately he played a marathon 5 sets to beat the South African Curren in the semi, which was going to make it even harder for him to beat McEnroe.
Yeh that Lewis/Curren semi was a great game. I watched a lot of tennis in those days. Suppose as Australia was still rather strong and candidly.. the tennis was better to watch. Less of todays long winded baseline rallies for starters. Less of people using double handed backhands. I have always preferred a serve and volleyer over a baseliner and someone that can outwit his opponent with clever spin or drop shot. Jessica may disagree with me.

Yeah, that semi was a really intriguing watch, either player would've deserved to win that one.
Played a bit of tennis in my youth for Wgtn in age group rep stuff - most of the rackets back then were wooden & as you say people weren't using doubled handed backhands that much as well... totally a agree mate serve & volley is the positive way to play & the best way to win... those slow clay courts make it difficult to get to the net to attack, so players are forced to play a lot of boring baseline tennis.

Reckon mate when you're young you try a lot of different types of sports... & if you're pretty athletic & have good eye-hand coordination you'll perform well in any sport, also need good basic skill sets for each particular sport, then practice those skills a lot.

That is a good philosophy mate. I was never able to practice any skills as I spent a decade at a draconian boarding school that did not exactly encourage sports.

:thumbsu:
That's a pain Richie they didn't encourage sport at your Boarding school, kids get plenty of exercise out of sport & fun as well... must have been a very strict school mate.

Yeah, that semi was a really intriguing watch, either player would've deserved to win that one.
Played a bit of tennis in my youth for Wgtn in age group rep stuff - most of the rackets back then were wooden & as you say people weren't using doubled handed backhands that much as well... totally a agree mate serve & volley is the positive way to play & the best way to win... those slow clay courts make it difficult to get to the net to attack, so players are forced to play a lot of boring baseline tennis.
Ah so you've played tennis Mal, sounds like you were pretty good too👍
I played in our street when I was a teen, and we had tennis courts at school so played there too, I enjoyed it even though I wasn't too great, I seemed to be better at relay running where I always ran the last lap as I was so fast at running 🏃🏾‍♀️

:thumbsu:
That's a pain Richie they didn't encourage sport at your Boarding school, kids get plenty of exercise out of sport & fun as well... must have been a very strict school mate.
Very strict.. was run by the Masons. If we wanted to have game of cricket or footy first we had to clear away all the fresh cow crap. Yes we had cows grazing on our sports fields.. their paddocks.

Yeah, sounds very strict - that's a huge hassle to have to clear away cow crap every time your wanted to play sport mate... don't fancy diving for a catch & landing in a pile of cow crap 😉

I was at primary school at about the same time as you, for me it wasn't as strict at my school as it was at your boarding school - but back in those days it was much stricter at school than these days... at primary school we use to have a teacher that would throw those wooden blackboard dusters at your head in class if he thought you were not listening to him properly, if a teacher did that today they'd be sued 😀

... wooden blackboard dusters and anything else at hand. Not to mention capital punishment with a cane on the hands.. and without a word of lie.. the bare bum. Do principals still cane kids. That is also probably a suable offence.

We got the cane on the bum, not the bare bum though - mate you wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week 🙂 we also got the cane on the hands, they use to call it 6 of the best... what use to be really painful was when you were hit with it slightly up the arm.
From what I've heard principals don't use the cane anymore, so I wonder when it was stopped ?

Cane on hands and bum in junior school. But any major misdemenor in senior school and it was three on the bare bum. Yes was hard to sit for at least a day or two mate. Our supervisor was a bloody sadist. No mistake.
It was probably stopped when some angry parent threatened to sue the perpetrator for torture or grievous bodily harm...

Last edited:
Back