Changes for the Second Test?

Jolldo87

Changes for the Second Test?

I've bolded the positions that are possibly up for grabs.

Matthew Hayden - I think he should stay in the side but some would argue that.
Simon Katich
Ricky Ponting - He's the captain. He's not getting dropped.
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Andrew Symodns - He didn't bowl. Dave Hussey is a better batsman. The thing that will probably save him is his fielding.
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee - Out of form but i can't think of anyone who would do a better job.
Peter Siddle - Shane Watson should come in imo. He couldn't do much worse.
Jason Krejza - Lack of other spin options will probably keep him in the side but he needs to perform much better.

Thoughts?

Re: Changes for the Second Test?

Not Symonds' fault Ponting refuses to use him. No reason for him to be dropped yet. Symonds staying in precludes Watson I think - the selectors will never play them side by side from the look of things.

Hayden should go. I'd like to see Rogers get a chance - good time for it with the rest of the batting order fairly settled and his potential opening partner in excellent touch.

Don't know how much point there is in messing with the bowling lineup. They just need to perform better. Personally I'd prefer Noffke or Bollinger over Siddle but it's all academic.

Not much to choose from Im afraid.

Hayden will keep his spot, noother openers that I would consider just yet. He is lucky Jacques (sp?) is injured tbh.

Bollinger is the only other bowler apart from Siddle, but they 'll give Peter another go.

Then there is Hauritz instead of Krejza. A possibility.

Symo is safe. As is Binga.

Id prefer Hilfenhaus or Bracken over Siddle. Start developing a serious swing bowler.

No doubt Siddle will bowl again for Australia but at the moment we have too many of the same type of bowler.

Im not up for Chris Rogers, I think we need to do what we did with Pup and bring in a raw cricketer.

I was thinking, Siddle for Watson and Symonds for Hussey is a good trade, although Symonds batted well this test.

Katich
Hughes/Rogers
Ponting*
M.Hussey
Clarke
D.Hussey/A.Symonds (Still 50/50 split)
Haddin+
Watson
Krejza
Johnson
Lee

Clark replacing Watson or Krejza when his injuries are fixed up.

If they don't want to go with Watson Id throw Hilfenhaus in there.

I think Ponting needs to look at the position he is batting and maybe train up another No.3, IMO if he does that it will improve his game as well as looking after Australian crickets future.

Bollinger's match-winning 6 wicket haul against SA could see him called up for the second Test in place of Siddle. To be honest, I'm not sure why Siddle was ever picked before him. I like Siddle, he's got a bit of potential, but he's looking very one dimensional. Let him develop his game first. Watson would be another option, but I think our batting at the moment is the lesser of our worries. We did not look like bowling SA out at any stage (even in the first innings: only an amazing spell by Johnson got the job done, and we can't rely on that every game), so a pure bowler is required. Alternatively, we could drop a batsman for Watson, and have 4 seamers and a paceman, but that leaves our batting a little weak in my opinion.

Aside from that, I'm not sure any other changes are necessary. Hussey for Symonds would be a joke. Symmo just started to show some form. His technique was looking fantastic. To drop him now would be pure insanity.

Also, give Hayden another go. He loves the MCG, and if he goes well there, that could be the turnaround in his form that lets him dominate the rest of the series. If he doesn't succeed at his favourite ground, it may prompt his retirement anyway.

We don't have any of the current guys get injured in the match so nope. If you realise this South Africa's team are more talented than ours because their team is more settled.
So I am going with no changes.

schwab2clarkson;296989 said:
We don't have any of the current guys get injured in the match so nope. If you realise this South Africa's team are more talented than ours because their team is more settled.
So I am going with no changes.

It's ridiculous to say they're more settled than us. It is about even, maybe South Africa being a little less settled than us.

Siddle will be better on his home ground,maybe Nannes if the selectors our feeling bold. Also Australia not that bad made SA chase over 400 they were to good. Make's for a shit hot boxing day test.

ArShad;296999 said:
Bring back Shaun Marsh to the test side by dropping Haydos ,.

Shaun Marsh has shown nothing this season to put him anywhere near the Australian side. This season he has 167 @ 23.85 in the Sheffield Shield. Very poor form.

Phil Hughes and Chris Rogers are way ahead of him.

It will be stiff on Siddle but he has to go and Bollinger is by far the bloke most likely to take his spot.

Symonds looked good in both innings, just needs to sort out his shot selection.

Can't see Hayden going as he does exceptionally well on the MCG.

Jolldo87;297007 said:
Shaun Marsh has shown nothing this season to put him anywhere near the Australian side. This season he has 167 @ 23.85 in the Sheffield Shield. Very poor form.

I would even throw Klinger up there as well.

bolinger will have to come in for siddle, it was nearly painful to watch siddle get found out in this test.

The heat is really on lee, but he is bowling in the right area's and just needs a couple of good balls to hit edges and he will be back. The problem was that he and johnson would work hard, put some great pressure on as a partnership and then on came siddle and krazy.

I would bring in only one change, in bollinger and out siddle. Hayden to announce his retirement at the end of the series. I would pick hughes as his replacement but would be just as happy with rogers.

Symonds needs to put on some runs and I am suprised his swing bowling was not used more.

Bad loss today but it seems the way test cricket is going, maybe they need to make the wickets fall apart a little more. Looked a little easy out there batting on day 5.

Jolldo87;297007 said:

Attacking bastman is needed for Australia . Shaun Marsh is an attacking player and he will do the job ..

not sure if you actually watched the game or just switched on hoping for a T20 game. Marsh is a very talented ball striker but along with pomers has struggled to score any runs this summer so far. If you want a talented WA player then north has shown alot, is tough and places the ball very well. Would adapt well to test cricket. Currently marsh would struggle to make the WA team.

Rogers must be first in line closely followed by hughes for the opening spot. I think half our batting problems are because ponting and hussey come in way too early.

But the batting is not the problem, it's the third seamer and spinner. Plus the spearhead is not getting the nicks.

A small change and a little more luck and we will go to sydney 1-1

ArShad;297028 said:
Attacking bastman is needed for Australia . Shaun Marsh is an attacking player and he will do the job ..

Did you not read Jolldo's post?

Biggie;297043 said:
Did you not read Jolldo's post?

Ya i read , but i love Shaun Marsh and i think he has the capability to score runs ...

Form is temporary , class is permanent...

ArShad;297049 said:
Ya i read , but i love Shaun Marsh and i think he has the capability to score runs ...

According to that then Hayden will come back into form and then there is no need to suggest Marsh in the first place.

ArShad;297049 said:

Far too much 20/Twenty for you. It has clouded your judgment.

Back