City Of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2011/12

A bit bouncy? What is going on with the world in this day and age. It is carpet, batsmen have helmets, thigh pads,batting gloves that could be used in outer space, elbow guards and batting pads that could absorb a bullet quite comfortably, not to mention the new fangled bats that look tree trunks. Added to that bowlers have been given a four piece ball to bowl with which usually loses all its hardness after 15-20 overs. Many many years ago just after color televison came to Australia the CMCA actually played on Mats where vertical bounce meant playing off your throat, with two piece balls that moved around; gloves that were wafer thin, pads that barely protected the leg and what the hell was a helmet? Added to that there were a couple of quick bowlers playing the competition who had serious personality disorders when they were given the red cherry and were frighteningly quick and did not hesitate to tell you about your deficiencies as a batsman or anything else they could crossed their maniacal mind.In fact, in my humble opinion they would make the current lot look like gentle medium pacers, a bit what Jimmy used to bowl when he got his 10fa.Watching sport nowadays is like watching a soap opera.Everyone is vowing to do something or promising this and that and in the end it is all a big yawn symptomatic of this generation.

Clocker my friend, yes Bailey is bouncy I agree, does that mean it has to be expectable if it can be changed??? The fact is the cmca had it tested n the wicket showed ab normal bounce compared to the standard wicket which is 96% of synthetic wickets. Basically means that batsman who are used to your standard wicket are caught dangerously unaware of the extra bounce on the bouncier synthetic wicket. Sounds stupid I agree, but having played Elwood in the T20 final last year at Bailey I had forward defense rattle my gloves. It ain't safe n it ain't right.
Re: two piece ball, what good level of cricket use 2 piece over a 4 piece??? None so why a two piece has ever been used is beyond me??? Maybe cost the only reason. So let's get with the times. Because times change everything evolves, tax, T20 cricket, afl 3 on the bench we can draw comparisons across everything. But I can tell you a cricket ball back then compared to now still bloody hurts. Cricket is a great game we all love it but let's except things evolve.
I propose a stronger longmuir grade, 8 sides. 7 opponents you play twice a year, one home n one away. One been a one day game the other been a two day game. Current season is 2o Saturday's my suggested format is 21 we need to find a extra week which aint easy but aunt impossible. What we think?

Good idea Pup - , I like it (this is why you were crowned with Burger's international award, your posting has severly risen since you been over there- maybe its the warm beer??) .. could play Aust day long weekend, (like we did 10 years or so ago)..or 1 sunday game?
i think if we did 1 dayers would need to be 45 overs each, start at 12 x 7 games... play 4 one dayers start of the season to combat the rain/ grey areas with conditions/ rules (& heaps of captain whinging like school girls) , 1 sunday, 1st 2 after Chrissy= Done!
prob top 2 grades as well, which will push a few down.. god knows there were plenty of forfeits down the grades the first 3 rounds this year, so cant see it being a massive problem..

i dont know why the CMCA doesnt try and poach the 4-5 clubs in the area. strengthen and breathe a little more life in the competition. even offer some incentive..
will strenthen the numbers in the lower grades for sure..

and take as many umpires as you can.. that is one thing that fails us in this comp is the lack of umpires..

we need to somehow recruit as many as we can get.. and filter them down.. the younger fresh ones doing square leg ... most clubs will pay so they dont have to square leg themselves.. and games get ruined more often that not when a team mate is umpiring.. and arguments generally always happen..

so poach some umpires, get some junior umpires in the ranks, starting with square leg.. im sure there are plenty that would enjoy the pocket money,...

merry xmas..
except for SM

p.s harden the ******** up and use your real name.

from

Peppi

Basically means that batsman who are used to your standard wicket are caught dangerously unaware of the extra bounce on the bouncier synthetic wicket. Sounds stupid I agree, but having played Elwood in the T20 final last year at Bailey I had forward defense rattle my gloves. It ain't safe n it ain't right.

There are many old timers who will fall about laughing at that statement. This batsmen centric view of the world is what is going to kill cricket. It is part of the game Pup. Please do not tell me that you have not played on turf wickets where the ball rears or played on a green top? For goodness sake you are in the UK where green tops are abundant. A pitch which has a consistent extra bounce means that a batsman has to actually work a little harder. Bowlers should not be reduced to serfdom so as to satisfy the needs of a few pretentious batsmen who cannot function unless they know everything that is to come.

I propose a stronger longmuir grade, 8 sides. 7 opponents you play twice a year, one home n one away. One been a one day game the other been a two day game. Current season is 2o Saturday's my suggested format is 21 we need to find a extra week which aint easy but aunt impossible. What we think?

My the Bentleigh Uniting centric view of the universe is now coming to the fore. I recall earlier in the decade when Uniting had to defeat the Wash Ups in the last match of the year to avoid relegation. From memory I think you may have played in that match. Uniting just won that game and survived to play Longmuir for another season. Now you are sitting on top thanks purely due to the two imports you want to now reduce the size of the competition to 8 teams? Which four teams will you demand that step aside so as to satisfy your requirements? How will this strengthen the competition? The finals consist of four teams, therefore the best four will play off in the finals. Interestingly the Spiders after spending five seasons just treading water are now coming to the fore. Under your system clubs like the Spiders, Golfers, Chelsea Heights, Le Page would never get a look in. The market will sort itself out, let freedom prosper and get away from this Green view of the world where everything has to be controlled and regulated.

i dont know why the CMCA doesnt try and poach the 4-5 clubs in the area. strengthen and breathe a little more life in the competition. even offer some incentive.. will strenthen the numbers in the lower grades for sure..

Cricket Victoria would not allow it to occur as they are mindful of the consequences of such a decision.

so poach some umpires, get some junior umpires in the ranks, starting with square leg.. im sure there are plenty that would enjoy the pocket money,...

Easy to say, but it does not work in reality. If the Association want to address the issue of umpire numbers, perhaps they should poll the umpires who have left the ranks in the past five years. They may discover some very uncomfortable facts that they probably do not want address.

Yes I did play as it was the year before we won the longmuir flag, we avoided relegation n the club appointed me skipper in the off season. It wAs just a idea thrown out to spark conversation, it was my thoughts not that of anyone else, burgee liked it and he ain't affiliated with bucc. Perhaps clocker you need to mount the curb n get off your high horse n relax over some mulled wine which is the Xmas drink of choice over here ATM 'you would enjoy a few mulled wines merl on a crisp winters evening merl'.
In the interest off seeing your side re redbacks been relegated, well maybe they would have won woolnough n made the step up with a winning culture spreading, credit to them they have worked hard Bruce has been a loyal servant to them n continues, so what may have or would not have happened is speculation. But it's a healthy topic IMO n well worth the debate so thank you for the response.

On the wicket clocker unfortunately our competition is as such we have different grades of cricket n though you suspect a longmuir or woolnough player may adapt to the bouncier wickets the bigger issue would be down the grades, men with family's, kids playing against men, players who struggle to hold a bat let alone know how to deal with a rising ball. My experience via open ears tells me they don't want to play on those wickets waste there time playing cricket on wickets that make them feel uncomfortable. Call it what you want, but the fact is the cmca has a duty of care to do what is in best interest for participants rather then the game, with insurance premiums rising on top it's a no brainer, keep cost down make players happier. In England clocker the ball is more likely to stay low n if it pops it's because the ball has gone into the surface n slowed up n popped so not quite the same thing.

Merry Xmas all

Thinking India may trump the Aussies boxing day test but hope Cowan goes well, what's this Lyon lad like not seen him bowl a ball but seen scores all the time.

Burger, you give Clock runner up but is his identity known?

Brett, i dont understand what you are saying re Bailey? BUCC's quiney side is playing there? I played there a few weeks ago against then? So its still in use?

Thursday afternoon 5th January from 5pm Cheltenham Park will take on the Victorian Deaf cricket team in a 20/20 match as part of the Vic Deaf XI's preparation for the assault on the national titles. The game will be staged at Cheltenham Park (Park Road) and the club will have bar and BBQ running in conjunction for those who do not want to cook that night. This game should be a great spectacle, if you want more information contact Hamish Bertram hamishbertram@gmail.com 0438254099

Round 7
Lnogmuir
7 Jan (2:00 PM) Kingston Heath v Chelsea Heights
7 Jan (2:00 PM) Elwood v Mackie
7 Jan (2:00 PM) Bentleigh Uniting v West Bentleigh
7 Jan (2:00 PM) Carnegie South v Hampton Central
7 Jan (2:00 PM) Bentleigh ANA v Le Page Park
7 Jan (2:00 PM) East Sandringham Boys Club v Brighton Union

Round 7
Woolnough
7 Jan (1:00 PM) Highett West v East Sandringham Boys Club
7 Jan (1:00 PM) Moorabbin West v Bentleigh ANA
7 Jan (1:00 PM) West Bentleigh v Bentleigh Uniting
7 Jan (1:00 PM) Cluden v Hampton United
7 Jan (1:00 PM) Washington Park v Brighton Union
7 Jan (1:00 PM) Aspendale Gardens v Omega

Round 7
Lnogmuir
Kingston Heath
Elwood
Bentleigh Uniting
Carnegie South
Le Page Park
East Sandringham Boys Club

Woolnough
East Sandringham Boys Club
Moorabbin West
Bentleigh Uniting
Cluden
WashingtonPark
Omega

The Bayside Cup is a cricket tournament held annually on Australia Day at Bonbeach Reserve (Ovals 1, 2, 3 & 4). Last year the tournament had 8 teams from 4 different leagues participating in the day. The competition is split into 2 pools of 4 or 5 clubs, and every club plays 3 games before the top 2 from each pool proceed into the finals to play for the Bayside Cup and the $1000 Cash Prize. Runner up also recieves $250.

The games are T/10 with similar restrictions to what's played in the VTCA (fielding restrictions etc.). The Grandfinal is then played as a T/20. All games are played on Turf with 2 new balls provided for each game.

Clubs are allowed 2 players that are not registered with them to play with them in this tournament. This was used last year to encourage Clubs that have district players etc. to come back and play with them in the tournament.

The tournament was a success last year drawing alot of support from cricket fans in the area. There are BBQ and Beer Tents available on the day as well.

Currently we're looking for a couple of clubs to top up numbers for this years tournament.

Entry fee for the tournament is $200 per Club and that includes curating, ground hire, umpires, new cricket balls and contributes to the prize money. There will also be donation tins available for the McGrath Foundation.

Any Clubs wishing to participate in the tournament are encouraged to contact the Bonbeach Tangy Cricket Club ASAP on the following : secretary@bonbeachtangycc.org.au or alternatively, call Mick Hogan on : 0403 840 740.

Deadlines for entries are Wednesday the 11th of January.

Round 7
7 Jan (2:00 PM) Kingston Heath v Chelsea Heights
7 Jan (2:00 PM) Elwood v Mackie
7 Jan (2:00 PM) Bentleigh Uniting v West Bentleigh
7 Jan (2:00 PM) Carnegie South v Hampton Central
7 Jan (2:00 PM) Bentleigh ANA v Le Page Park
7 Jan (2:00 PM) East Sandringham Boys Club v Brighton Union

Isn't Bonbeach Tangy the mob that got stuck into the cans then got stuck into each other during a wash out earlier this season...?

LONGMUIR
Chelsea Panthers
Mackie
Uniting
ESBC
Carnegie South
Le Page

WOOLNOUGH
Highett West
Moorabbin West
Uniting
Wash Ups
Hampton Utd
Omega

Some interesting reading on here lately....
On the 2pm start for Longmuir this round......interesting decision by the cmca.Starting 1 hour later is only a hinderance to those playing. A full 80 overs of cricket will go to about 8pm.
My tips:
Golfers
Elwood
Uniting
Carnegie
Le Page
East Sandy

You might be lucky enough to catch the 2nd innings where 2 former CMCA cricketers are squaring off in the Big Bash, Squeak.
2pm start is an absolutely ridiculous rule. The idea of games going later than lower grades is a good one, but the brains trust got the implementation very wrong.

Agree, the 2pm start time is ill informed and should be scapped for next season. Who wants to finish playing cricket at around 7:30 - 8pm ? Do they want lower grade players travelling from their own ground to other grounds at 6:30 to watch an hour of cricket !!!

My tips for this round are :
Kingston Heath
Elwood - 1 last chance !!!
Uniting
Carnegie South - will be a close game
Le Page
East Sandy

Back