Cmca 2012/13

Gonna be a good first week in longy. Looking forward to playing against the golfers.
My tips for round one;
Union, don't write them off.
Uniting, think we will all be tipping them a lot this year.
Spiders, should be a good game.
Heights, brads lads to have a big year.
East sandy, marto has duddy back. Good in.
Elwood, no marshal but new coach. Look for them on their 40th season.

Good luck to all clubs and teams this season.

Enjoying the reading boys, long time between posts for me. Any tips for the wooly flag?
I’ll join in the tipping as well.

Longy:
Union
Uniting
Carnegie
Chelsea
East Sandy
Le page

Wooly:
Uniting 2s
Cluden
Hampton Central
Highett
Omega
ANA

Glad we play in the CMCA and not the VTCA as they have called off round 1 already.

Hopefully the rain stays away on Saturday.

My tips for round 1.

Brighton Union - even allowing for the player exodus
Bentleigh Uniting - even stronger than last season
Carnegie South - after a very good season last year
Chelsea Heights - to be the big improver
ESBC - always up there
Le Page - should be challenging for a finals spot this season

Good luck to all this week and for the season ahead.

All tips recorded, however still a lot of tipsters have yet to lodge.

Uncle Mick, Dr Squeak, Bit Rich, Ordinary Bloke, Brett, Casper, Burger, Peter Parker, Past Hack, The Mentalist, Wily Old Pro, Brian Wilson, Spongebob, Army, Quilton and Quasimodo.

Long time reader, first time scribe - just thought given the bias of this readership group to Longmuir, that you maybe interested in an update on how things have evolved at Shark Park during their hiatus. To echo SBs sentiment, Packer is on outstanding nick and will offer value to batsmen right from round 1. De Silva might not stretch those who have played higher honours, but will definitely get the majority of club cricketers jumpy with a whippy action and uncomfortable bounce from a good length. The club is extremely well lead from pres, through coordinators and captains - with our "international" skipper no doubt going to relish the step up in standard. He will be surrounded by a core group that have called Packer their second home since they were kids, which is a great result given the previous focus of importing talent. Having said that, the Cricket Australia connection is having impact, not only in the juniors where the majority of the kids had the opportunity to meet their international stars (both men and women) and play on the hallowed ground during test and BBL matches last year, but the introduction of a number of guest coaches pre season who have raised the professionalism of the group. It might also surprise some involved in this competition that not all talented cricketers want to become electricians and word is that there is some significant talent in at Jolimont street who are keen to have a hit this season - none of the SKW notoriety, but enough to have a major impact at our level. There are also plans for some big functions with profile guests telling their stories... In summary, I think a couple of years of success in Wooly has been great for the culture of the club and the lads are now looking forward to COMPETING in Longmuir this season, not just playing!

Good luck to all on the weekend - it is great to be back mixing it with the big boys!

Fantastic to hear that the kids at W/Park are being afforded such envied priviliges as playing on the MCG and meeting International cricketers. Let's hope these sorts of priviliges are afforded to ALL member clubs in the region and not just those with a CA or CV employee in control. Cricket Australia's stated aim of being Australia's number 1 sport can only be achieved through equality and increased participation across all clubs.

NCDPP - you are 100% correct and will find that all the CMCA T20Blast kids were involved in the MCG activity, as well as a number of clubs Milo kids during the test match. The CA guys are also heavily involved in the wider CMCA community with one volunteering on the executive and the other working closely with the association and a number of clubs to drive their participation - a level of service not previously seen in these parts. Hopefully the impact will be felt across the whole association....

I realise many of you have been waiting with bated breath for my weekly column, so I hope I do not disappoint. Been spending the winter months coaching Football and following the mighty Poowong Magpies in the Ellinbank and District Football League.

This week, Mark Missen asked if there was a new challenger out there and I echo these sentiments as I hope there is, but fear there is not.

I maintain that if you took the two heavyweights (ESBC & Bent Utg) out of this competition, it would be 6/1 the rest of the field as all the remainder have claims as well as significant weaknesses.

I will take a stab at the ladder come March so lock it into the vault for five months:

1. Bentleigh Uniting (Like they even needed Manders to be a contender! The ones to beat).
2. ESBC (The only chance of stopping the Juggies is knocking them over in the semi or prelim; otherwise they will win the flag again).
3. Bent ANA (Could get this one completely wrong, but the Royals look set for a good season with solid structures in place. Biggs and Dolman to dominate).
4. Le Page Park (Even without McConch they look strong and have recruited well)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Carnegie Sth (Opposition coaches have been plotting their demise all winter and although they have solid structures in place, will just fall short).
6. Washington Park (Expect the Wash Ups to immediately competitive in the top flight. Perhaps the best run club in the competition).
7. Elwood (Still maintain they are a reasonable side and the absence ofMarshall could prove a blessing in disguise).
8. Kingston Heath (Too many personnel losses for the Golfers unfortunately)
9. Chelsea Heights (Many are selecting the Heighters as the big improvers of 2012/13, however I am yet to be convinced).
10. Mackie (To much left to the veterans for the Machine to be a major player. Could finish anywhere between 6-10).
11. West Bentleigh (Ditto the Mackie comment. The Cowboys have relied on Marc Reid and Damien Casey for too long)
12. Brighton Union (I suspect one may require 4 wins to be safe from relegation this year, but Union seemingly have more internal problems than Rome in 434 AD, so I will select them for the Spoon).

Round 1 Preview

They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder and the week preceding the opening of a Cricket season is one full of great anticipation as evidenced by the positive moods at two club season launches that I attended last night.

Sure to be some upsets and most matches are likely to be affected by the weather, so I suspect I will get at least three of these wrong but what the hey…

West over Union just (If Dwayne Russell were commentating this match he would state that both clubs are “playing for their season” and although that is nonsensical I predict both these clubs will struggle and the loser may be up against it all year. Chopper Reid to prove the difference).
Uniting over Wash Ups easily (Although I predict Manders will make a duck on debut!)
Carn Sth over Golfers just (Flip of the coin this one, but expect old stalwarts like Scotty Handley and Noombie to fire when required).
Mackie over Chelsea just (the type of game that the Heighters must win if they are to be contenders, but the Machine are too polished to let this slip).
ESBC over ANA just (This is the sort of game that East Sandy often drop – a one dayer early on – but how can one ever tip against them. Luke Dallas to begin the season in fine form).
Le Page over Elwood just (Another match that I have no firm opinion on, but I predict Le Page will be relatively strong this season and should be too good).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Glad to see nothing's changed with the commencement of another season timed perfectly with a day of spring rain. The familiarisation makes one feel nice and cozy.

West Bentleigh over Union (Union must reinvent their club and have limited players to draw from)
Uniting (Both teams will hit the ground running, so this one should be a great game to watch)
The beloved Spiders
Chelsea (Mackie can't win too many games on the usual handful of ageing talent)
ESBC
Le Page (difficult game to pick, but the loss of Bunting can't be good)

I'll be an interested viewer for most (hopefully not all) of the season and i think that most clubs seem to have recruited well or at least retained their core from last year. So it should be a ripper season coming up....
Uniting & Sandy the obvious stand outs & i expect them to play off for the title again.

Tips
Union - No Casey for Wests
Uniting - will tip them every week
Carnegie - KH will struggle to take wickets without Cal Rayner
Chelsea - some recruits to show off
East Sandy - ANA to get close
Le Page - in a close one

Good luck to all players in all grades - I would love to be out there, so enjoy!

Tipping alot of 3 point results. Club bars the real winners!!
If there is results, west, trillionaires,redbacks, machine, boys club, le page.

All tips recorded, however still a lot of tipsters have yet to lodge.

Uncle Mick, Dr Squeak, Bit Rich, Ordinary Bloke, Brett, Casper, Burger, Peter Parker, Past Hack, The Mentalist, Wily Old Pro, Brian Wilson, Spongebob, Army, Quilton and Quasimodo.

Care factor= '0'.... No posting from me (except this one), have converted to F/B CMCA page.. much prefer when i know who im talking too.. Good luck to all today & for the season ahead!!

Longy
Brighton Union
Bentleigh Uniting
Carnegie South
Chelsea Heights
East Sandy
Le Page

Woolnough
Bentleigh Uniting
Cluden
Hampton Central
Highett West