Cricket Albury/Wodonga 2009/10 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cricket Albury/Wodonga 2009/10 Part 2

RUNOUT;388608 said:
I love the way the CAW and the local media have talked up competition recently and there is no doubt cricket on the Border has benefited from the merger but its surprisingly being overlooked that things aren't quite as rosy. A couple examples are:-
*Sommers balls fiasco
*Relying on District B grade players to fill out our Konica and Ensign Cup teams this year.
*Baranduda on shaky legs after pulling out their A grade side, while Albury's long term future is not assured if the get relegated
*West Wodonga merging with the Wodonga Raiders who are struggling to keep their heads above water since relegation
*The gap between the Prov. and District comps seems to be widening with each season with each promoted club either getting regular thumping or having to spend money on players to just remain competitive
*CAW dictating to clubs rather than consulting with them and fining clubs for even the smallest of things eg.Not getting the scores in by 8.30 on a saturday night. Bad luck if you have a social function on with one of your sides playing away. Not all of us sit in front of a PC on a Saturday night
*What will be done in regards to the North and Lavi game with the covers fiasco? North were staring at an outright defeat yet they were the only game washed out and didn't have the wicket covered. Raiders lost their points last year for the same thing against Wodonga will the Hoppers be fined and/ór lose points for this game?

It seems to me the Board only prefer listening to how good they are at Rep cricket and hosting other events yet forget they are put in place to run the comp for the CLUBS and its members.Hopefully the next CAW meeing in a fortnights time will help resolve some issues in the comp which won't go away.:)

Very interesting Run Out, a few things on that:
- Having B graders fill out the rep teams is incredibly poor from CAW, however it has been increasingly obvious that many do not want to play with the guys who are running the show. Also, it seems that the captain for the day is asking his teammates he plays with each weekend to play rep, rather than ask the best players available for each position.
- As for the North covers fiasco, nothing will come of it. North were staring at an outright loss but the board is too weak to impose a penalty on them. Raiders did get slapped with an outright loss after last years pitch washout against the Doggies, however that probably due to the fact that they were last already anyway. CAW I think will prove once again that they do not have 1 set of rules for everyone.
- Provincial and district comps arent widening as much as you think, the gap between top and bottom of the Provincial comp is wide enough, I believe that the top district teams would beat the bottom provincial teams.

Either way, good to see Lavi on top of the Prov competition, hope they go all the way and we have a changing of the guard.
District seems like New City's to lose, with about 4 teams behind chasing 2nd place.
Lets get into the business end of the season and hope things really heat up!

Ducks fly together;388625 said:
Very interesting Run Out, a few things on that:
- Having B graders fill out the rep teams is incredibly poor from CAW, however it has been increasingly obvious that many do not want to play with the guys who are running the show. Also, it seems that the captain for the day is asking his teammates he plays with each weekend to play rep, rather than ask the best players available for each position.
- As for the North covers fiasco, nothing will come of it. North were staring at an outright loss but the board is too weak to impose a penalty on them. Raiders did get slapped with an outright loss after last years pitch washout against the Doggies, however that probably due to the fact that they were last already anyway. CAW I think will prove once again that they do not have 1 set of rules for everyone.
- Provincial and district comps arent widening as much as you think, the gap between top and bottom of the Provincial comp is wide enough, I believe that the top district teams would beat the bottom provincial teams.

Either way, good to see Lavi on top of the Prov competition, hope they go all the way and we have a changing of the guard.
District seems like New City's to lose, with about 4 teams behind chasing 2nd place.
Lets get into the business end of the season and hope things really heat up!

well about time someone posted something interesting. Where to start mmmmmmmm. well look whats happening at country week. They should have been called the CAW Eagles. The team may have been strong but very young aswell. I'm not sure how the players treated but I'm guessing CAW didn't want the results they got. On the cover story with north. What CAW is saying is it depends on where you are on the ladder and who you are. Come on we all play in CAW so we all must play by the same rules.

Yes the gap is slipping futher apart in both Prov and Dist grades. Just look at the top teams in both grades. Yes New City are far above the rest but the are fairly old aswell.They will go up but how long for??? The game of the round is Albury v Yack. Yack may win but only just. What will happen to albury if they finish last. Best of Luck Yack. Raiders are doing well considering how many players they lost.The test will be finals but must beat Barny this week to prove they can play finals.

RUNOUT;388608 said:
I love the way the CAW and the local media have talked up competition recently and there is no doubt cricket on the Border has benefited from the merger but its surprisingly being overlooked that things aren't quite as rosy. A couple examples are:-
*Sommers balls fiasco
*Relying on District B grade players to fill out our Konica and Ensign Cup teams this year.
*Baranduda on shaky legs after pulling out their A grade side, while Albury's long term future is not assured if the get relegated
*West Wodonga merging with the Wodonga Raiders who are struggling to keep their heads above water since relegation
*The gap between the Prov. and District comps seems to be widening with each season with each promoted club either getting regular thumping or having to spend money on players to just remain competitive
*CAW dictating to clubs rather than consulting with them and fining clubs for even the smallest of things eg.Not getting the scores in by 8.30 on a saturday night. Bad luck if you have a social function on with one of your sides playing away. Not all of us sit in front of a PC on a Saturday night
*What will be done in regards to the North and Lavi game with the covers fiasco? North were staring at an outright defeat yet they were the only game washed out and didn't have the wicket covered. Raiders lost their points last year for the same thing against Wodonga will the Hoppers be fined and/ór lose points for this game?

It seems to me the Board only prefer listening to how good they are at Rep cricket and hosting other events yet forget they are put in place to run the comp for the CLUBS and its members.Hopefully the next CAW meeing in a fortnights time will help resolve some issues in the comp which won't go away.:)

Great post runout. Couldn't agree more. Massive gap not only between Provincial and District but also between the top four and bottom six in Provincial. CAW needs to go back to an 8 team Provincial comp ASAP.

Not sure Lavi would have beaten North outright but something definitely needs to be done. A $250 fine wouldn't worry them after winning $10k in the 20/20 comp but I'm sure taking some points off them would hurt. They'd hate to finish third and then have the semi final washed out.

think new city will only go from strength to strength ,they have a great bunch of blokes over there that dont mind working hard and have laid the foundations for a competitive club good luck to them ,as for country week the boy's were very dissapointing with as far as i can tell about 2 blokes actually having a go, then to blame caw because there's no 50 over cricket is just a cop out, pretty sure all of these blokes have played a fair bit of that form before and pretty sure i havent ridden a bike for about 5 years but put one in front of me.....dont think they were taking the job of representing our nassociation as seriously as they could of

Future_Cricket_Tra;388340 said:
Looks like they have started updating them now, with all points allocated up to round 7. Looks like the opponents of teams who forfeit will get the same points as the team with the highest number of points for the round, teams with the bye get six points plus average bonus points for the round. I agree with you that they need to have them fully updated before the final round with only the bonus points for the team having the bye to be added after the final round, so teams have a realistic idea of their chances of making the finals going into the final round. It would be very upsetting for a team to think they are making finals only to find out that they are out of the race when the remaining points for the entire season are updated after the final round.

yep have seen the table and the points have been updated...finally.....the next question is why is a bye is worth different points from week to week???? Thats right,,,its because of this crap system where bonus points are calculated....I have seen the AFL, NRL, and a heap of other sports and yet only the CAW give different points each rounds for a bye....who is the rocket scientist who designed this?????

Just thought i would comment on the pitch fiasco with north totaly agree north albury should be stripped of any points for that game and fined if you ask me, Most other clubs got there covers on on that day, we all can read weather reports and assume that it will rain, maybe they don't have windows where they work you could see that rain coming for at least half an hour and if you have a computer and look at BOM you would have had a lot longer than that to prepare. weak excuse, Was also happy to see Albury get up on the weekend the club has done a lot of work with Milo and looks like having some juinor teams next season, Just need to recruit a couple of bowler's and batters for next season and should be competative. was down there after the game on the weekend and they have a good bunch of blokes there that just enjoy playing cricket, obviously winning a few more games would have helped this year, but to start the season with a whole new A Grade team and B Grade team apart from 3 players from last year put there back up aginst the wall from the start. Those playing in the final's good luck hope Lavi win the flag.

left armers rule;389405 said:
yep have seen the table and the points have been updated...finally.....the next question is why is a bye is worth different points from week to week???? Thats right,,,its because of this crap system where bonus points are calculated....I have seen the AFL, NRL, and a heap of other sports and yet only the CAW give different points each rounds for a bye....who is the rocket scientist who designed this?????

Not me :). Had to do something when some teams have two byes and some have 1 bye. While I don't have anything against St Pat's (my apologies if I offend anyone associated with St Pat's), everything looked good fixture wise, until CAW in their wisdom decided to let St Pat's put in their 2nd team after the start of the season (which then created the bye). If they had refused St Pat's 2nd side then I think everything would have worked out a lot better.

Also can anybody explain to me, in the last round why Lavington Panthers Red's home game against St Pat's White is at Xavier High and St Pat's Green's home game against East Albury is at Collings Park ?

quietachiever;389630 said:
Just thought i would comment on the pitch fiasco with north totaly agree north albury should be stripped of any points for that game and fined if you ask me, Most other clubs got there covers on on that day, we all can read weather reports and assume that it will rain, maybe they don't have windows where they work you could see that rain coming for at least half an hour and if you have a computer and look at BOM you would have had a lot longer than that to prepare. weak excuse, Was also happy to see Albury get up on the weekend the club has done a lot of work with Milo and looks like having some juinor teams next season, Just need to recruit a couple of bowler's and batters for next season and should be competative. was down there after the game on the weekend and they have a good bunch of blokes there that just enjoy playing cricket, obviously winning a few more games would have helped this year, but to start the season with a whole new A Grade team and B Grade team apart from 3 players from last year put there back up aginst the wall from the start. Those playing in the final's good luck hope Lavi win the flag.

Couldn't agree more. Not to sure if it's just supposed to slide under the radar and let us all forget about it but seems a bit strange with North Albury staring a big loss down the barrell perhaps didnt feel like fielding. I think that the CAW committee need to revisit this issue cause North Albury's arrogance has won over again. How about 80 over cricket? What about a new fixture of 50 over cricket every weekend. Get at least 18 hits every year rather than 9. All rep cricket is played like that and currently we have no fixture that conicides with that. Nobody likes fielding 80 overs still plenty time to bat in 50 overs.

Off The Blade;389680 said:
Couldn't agree more. Not to sure if it's just supposed to slide under the radar and let us all forget about it but seems a bit strange with North Albury staring a big loss down the barrell perhaps didnt feel like fielding. I think that the CAW committee need to revisit this issue cause North Albury's arrogance has won over again. How about 80 over cricket? What about a new fixture of 50 over cricket every weekend. Get at least 18 hits every year rather than 9. All rep cricket is played like that and currently we have no fixture that conicides with that. Nobody likes fielding 80 overs still plenty time to bat in 50 overs.

Thats spot on mate. It seems like North will get off with a slap on the wrist at best which i dont think is fair..... even going back last year to the raiders bulldogs game the same thing happend raiders lost points how come this isnt happening to north?? i think there is a double standard from one club to another. And also with 50 over cricket i think thats a great idea combine provincal and district have a 15 team comp full of one dayers? and possible go down to a d grade have your top flight teams in a grade and so on and so forth?? because i know its a totaly different game of cricket 80 overs compared to 50 overs. Thats how we have our rep cricket why not on Saturdays?

Getting down to the business end of the season.. Wodonga seems certain to finish on top after the home and away. And in prime position to secure the flag, with an ever improving lavington the only real challenger. But should be a ripping GF. Also great news for the Dogs that the 'King' (Tim Kennedy) has returned and commited to playing finals after sorting out work commitments in melbourne. No doubt the reigning cricketer of the year will be back to his best before then, making a mockery of opposition top orders. Long live the King!

donga_doggie;390283 said:
Getting down to the business end of the season.. Wodonga seems certain to finish on top after the home and away. And in prime position to secure the flag, with an ever improving lavington the only real challenger. But should be a ripping GF. Also great news for the Dogs that the 'King' (Tim Kennedy) has returned and commited to playing finals after sorting out work commitments in melbourne. No doubt the reigning cricketer of the year will be back to his best before then, making a mockery of opposition top orders. Long live the King!

Donga_doggie, I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch. I don't think Wodonga can claim top position yet. After looking at the progress scores from the current round, I think Lavington are on top of the "Live ladder" at this stage, after already claiming first-innings points against Yack, with Wodonga yet to do the same against Albury and Lavington in a better position than Wodonga to pick up an outright win (points for the round so far Lavington: 9.57, Wodonga: 2.67).
While I am not saying that Wodonga will not finish on top of the ladder, I don't think that Wodonga are certain to finish on top, it is possible for Lavington to get top position.

Lavi were concincing winners out at yack would have won sooner but some catches were grassed. Capt. seems to lack imagination as his use of spinners was hard to follow and mostly kept on rotating the pace bowlers.
Heard that yack are already on the hunt fo a coach and a quality batsman.

hardnut;391318 said:
Lavi were concincing winners out at yack would have won sooner but some catches were grassed. Capt. seems to lack imagination as his use of spinners was hard to follow and mostly kept on rotating the pace bowlers.

Looks like we will have a lot of catching practice this week :). Won't say too much about the captaincy, as I think he is doing a better job than I would do.

hardnut;391318 said:

I think tonks was actuallty tryin to buy a wicket at the stage of the game when he started bowling spinners as Jewel and Mathewson were playing the medium pacers quite easily.
Was good to c a couple of the younger guys apply themselves and almost stave off the outright.
As for being on the hunt for a coach and a batsman i think most clubs r already on the go with recruiting and i rekn there maybe a couple of clubs looking for a coach.

Ladies and Gentlemen ***STOP THE PRESSES!!!****

Once again CAW shows its complete lack of balls when it comes to making a decision!
I refer to the covers/pitch issues from the North/Lavington game earlier in the year.
North have bee slapping with a massive $1,000 SUSPENDED FINE!!!
It should be noted that Lavi have also been slapped with the same hefty penalty from the same weekend for their B grade fixture for also leaving covers off the pitch.....

NOW, how can one season when a grounds covers are not in place a team is stripped of points, then when the same incident happens again we have a suspended fine???
What a ****ing joke!!!
Yes I am aware they requested to leave the covers off, but wouldnt you think when some wet balls begin to fall from the sky you would replace the covers?? Just a thought, but I know North did not want to a play a game when they are losing...

Lavi and Dogs for the GF!

Heard on the News today that the Lavi ground was not available due to an upgrade. I thought it was unavailable due to the Crusty Demons, and now that they are no longer coming to town, surely the ground should be available for the finals???? I would think that Lavi would, and should, be able to play finals on their home ground.

And for those brave enough to write off North, history indicates they know how to lift and play finals better than most others.

Good luck to all teams in the finals and lets hope they are all decided with the bat and ball and not the weather.

Pretty quiet site lately......anyway, like i said two weeks ago to all those tipping a Lavi V Wodonga grand final......never ignore history, finals cricket is generally won by teams that know how to win them......come Monday the the two top A grade teams may be planning what they are doing GF weekend, although ST Pats have not had a good start to a small run chase..... It was also interesting to see that Abs from North smashing the winning runs in both finals....hopefully those that made him angry ealier in the season were part of his finals onslaught.....gotta love karma......should be a great GF whoever makes it, although it looks like a replay of last years!!!!!

Congratulations to Wodonga who managed to grasp victory from the jaws of defeat yesterday in Provinsual and to New City in district.
A little gossip on Cupido is that Lavi is in the box seat, but watch out for New City with a late run now that they have jumped to Provinsual.;)

Seeing as our friends at the BMM don't know too much about the District Comp, here's a District First XII choice for season 2009/10 - in batting order:

1. Rob Dennis (New City)
2. Mark Doolan (Barnawartha/Chiltern)
3. Chris Dishot (Barnawartha/Chiltern)
4. Ash Sutherland (Kiewa - captain)
5. Mark Purtell (New City)
6. Alistair Randell (Mt Beauty - vice captain)
7. Luke Daly (Howlong)
8. Luke Bartley (New City - w/keeper)
9. Cameron Furze (New City)
10. Kori Stevenson (Wodonga Raiders)
11. David Baude (New City)

12. Sam Lowcock (Bethanga)

Would love to see both District and Provincial Rep sides face each other as an annual event - would create a very healthy and interesting rivalry.
Any thoughts?

RumPig;395604 said:
Seeing as our friends at the BMM don't know too much about the District Comp, here's a District First XII choice for season 2009/10 - in batting order:

1. Rob Dennis (New City)
2. Mark Doolan (Barnawartha/Chiltern)
3. Chris Dishot (Barnawartha/Chiltern)
4. Ash Sutherland (Kiewa - captain)
5. Mark Purtell (New City)
6. Alistair Randell (Mt Beauty - vice captain)
7. Luke Daly (Howlong)
8. Luke Bartley (New City - w/keeper)
9. Cameron Furze (New City)
10. Kori Stevenson (Wodonga Raiders)
11. David Baude (New City)

12. Sam Lowcock (Bethanga)

Would love to see both District and Provincial Rep sides face each other as an annual event - would create a very healthy and interesting rivalry.
Any thoughts?

That side wouldn't beat Wodonga, North Albury or Lavington let alone a Provincial rep side.

Have heard on the grape vine that New City have already started approaching a number of players from other Provincial clubs. No doubt they realise they won't be competitive with the team they've got at the moment, especially considering half the team probably won't be there next year.

Expect to see a lot of rumours on this site in coming months about player movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back