Cricket Albury Wodonga 2010/2011

Re: Cricket Albury Wodonga 2010/2011

like youu lindsaygaze, i am not good enough for first grade, however i want lavi to be the best club it can be, i am a lavi man and always will be but i just wish those selecting the teams would have a bit of an open mind when giving opportunities. morbo was the one who brought bartleys name into it and i was just expressing my opinion in thinking that he could have got an opportunity, especially when they werent going that well. one extremely obvious example of trent and tonks bias when selecting the sides is cam sawyer. last year made over 600 hundred runs and didnt even get a gig. this is only because trent and tonk dislike him. that may have been his chance to get a good start in seniors and cement a spot for years, now he will never know if he was good enough. that is my gripe about the club

Morbo;401868 said:
Little comments on the teams:

Lavi 1st grade team of the decade (batting order)
Damien Thomas (wk) - Really good player in the Albury region. Was fantastic with the gloves. Think he player high rep cricket as a junior. - good call
Paul Mongan - Played his best cricket in Melbourne, but was obviously still a class bat. - good call, outsatnding fielder
James Tonkin - Very good batsman and could have made a fine keeper. - great feilder and bowls really fast offies
Steve Wright(c) - Is in the top two or three players to have played in ABCA/CAW in the last decade - great call
Keiran Knight - Was a class above most, and a brilliant thinker of the game. Is he in some form of coaching role at the moment? - not sure if he is coaching with rob mckinlay or something like that, did do north east knights 17s
Anthony Bradley - Great fella, handy cricketer.
Trent Ball - Very hit and miss, but handy to have at number 7. - opened batting this year, may have found his niche
Steve Baker - Brilliant competitor, am sorry to see things have soured with his brother. - great bloke, still handy cricketer
Damian Baker(vc) - Great guy and great bowler. Very level headed and a guy you want at your club. - great clubman
Alistair Lee - Had a good couple of years. Is he still in England?
Steve Keene - Surprise inclusion perhaps? - very suprising conclusion, only seen his since he has come back from w.a but hasnt enough in last 2 years to warrant selection
Jarrod Lyons (12th) - Best guy you'll ever meet, and had a great year the year Lavington lost the grand final to North Albury. - great clubman and good bat when younger

2nds
Andrew Maggs(vc) - Is a guy who is too good for second grade but hasn't produced often enough in first grade. - should open batting in seniors from now on
Glen Vassallo - Not too familiar with him. Thoughts? - solid opening bat, needs to think when batting a bit more
Cam Sawyer - A good second players. Was captain this year, yes? - was captain, didnt have support of team or commitee really, but took team well into finals
Ken Mansell - A brilliantly skilled cricketer. Could still go around today and make a shed load of runs.
Rob Wright(c) - Suffered from Danni Minogue syndrome, but a great and a way more than handy second grade player. - great clubman, dropped down to seconds as skipper while still good and was a solid foundation to the team
Ash Lafferty - Has had mixed fortunes in first grade, but a very hard hitter. - body breaking down but still played first and seconds this year
Luke Bartley(wk) - A solid second grade player. - not a bad bat, not the best keeper but is playing seniors at new city
Matt Rhook - Played a few games of first grade didn't he? Left armer? good med bowler, left armer and good number 11 bat, lacked commitment, chose basketball
Tim Cartmell - Great fella. Always puts in. good seconds opening bowler,always snagged a wicket when needed
Newman Holden - Interesting to find 'FJ' playing thirds. is he just a bully down there? body definately failing him, enjoys slogging down there, and being successful doing it
Brett Sawyer - Hasn't done a hell of alot in first grade but a great second grade bowler. - body also failing him even though he is youngish, good bowler
Sam O'Connor(12th) - Solid young fella. Developing his batting I noticed this year. - solid bat, protects his wicket, never gets out. good legspinner

3rds
Dan Hummerich - Used to play at SS&A right? Any more information about him? - good third grade opening bat, great captain
Simon Stobbart(c) - Wiley old veteran! - good batsman
Tim Nicholls - Tim's a really good club man from all reports. - yeah good clubman and good bat
Brayden Mulvey - Don't know much about him. Details? - good up and coming bat, left hander, should have been playing seconds this year
Andrew Butcher - Don't know much about him. Details?, much like mulvey but a bit older.
Chris Whelan(vc) - Really, really handy cricketer. Actually, handy sportsman allround. Was a good footballer in the O&M as well. - great bloke, played seconds most of this year
Darren Murphy - Don't know much about him. Details? - great young bat, should have played higher. made 86no one game then got dropped the next. in wollongong now.
Marcus Green (wk) - Does the karaoke at the New Albury Hotel!:p - good indoor cricketer who has adapted to outdoor
Cam McCormack - Did well in a few second grade games this season didn't he? - fast bowler, but very erratic.
Asif Mohammed - Don't know much about him. Details? - not sure
Michael Bocquet - Don't know much about him. Details? - good young quick bowler but also very erratic, although had a knack of dismissing steve wright a lot in the nets.
Scott Hayward(12th) - Nathan's brother? - not a bad bowler

Would be great if I could hear your thoughts on the teams and in particular provide some info on the players I don't know?

i think the selectors have pretty much got it right, stats support the cases of most players. keene was a suprise selection in seniors, much like vassallo in seconds. i personally was surprised to see whelan in thirds and not in seconds.

a few noticable absentees in seniors, cade webb, andrew taylor
seconds; geerard wild, scott smedley!, steve thomson
thirds;sam strelec, gio zugyjev

anyone else have any thoughts

Gee what's the go with Lavi. Well done to the guys keeping this link alive. But you must have plenty of time on your hands. I will add a bit though inregards to Lavi Black. Those guys are well above C'Grade and must really flogging sides with 12 year olds in it. It happens at all club where players play below their grade but not a whole team.Since Lavi's the fashion at the moent on here have they picked up anyone to cover a big loss?

Raiders to improve in district after getting Middo. The juniors will benefit the most from him.

Who will Marmo take to Albury?

Let's remember the season ain't that far away.:D

As Usual Lavington look like self imploding, the chokers of the competition are more focused on how good they think they are then how good they actually are. Shows the calibre of their personell for them to have an open stoush on this forum, all those guys up there that are worth having had better jump ship before it sinks! From the outside looking in this is certainly poor leadership, someone who is respected up there better grab hold of the reins before its too late.

Well done to Raiders on securing Middo, he will bring alot to that club which they dearly need after being left high and dry with most of their 1st grade side departing before last season after they were the ones who got the club relegated due to their poor performance......that wasn't good form so for the guys who have stuck it out good luck next year.

Albury may have got Marmo but a leopard doesn't change its spots just by changing its name, these guys may recruit enough personell to stay around next year but long term a change of attitude is required.

Surely with all the changes happening at board level the competition will take this chance to impose requirements on clubs that want to compete in the provincial competition: e.g. facilities, junior structure, financials etc. and if a club can't met these requirements then division 2 for them or better still go compete in another competition. There is no point or future for the game locally to leave the development of younger cricketers up to 5-6 clubs while others wait like sharks to recruit them, i say create your own cricketers or leave the competition, for years the SS&A cricket club/Albury Titans/Albury Club have not had juniors so when the hell is someone going to grow the balls to make a decision that 4-6 junior teams become mandatory to compete?
As well as this when the promotion relegation comes in again it should be the team who finishes on top of the ladder at the end of the home and away series that is promoted and not the team who ends up Premiers, that way it gives all other clubs a chance to compete for some silverware at the end of the year! I mean at the end of the day we want the club that can compete over a sustained period of time to be the promoted club, not a club who may happen to have a good couple of weeks during a finals series.......this will also allow clubs who do not want to be promoted to "tank" if need be and not finish on top thus gaining promortion but to then also have the opportunity to achieve some success by being Premiers of that competition.;)

Re: Cricket Albury/Wodonga 2009/10 Part 2

big guys don't run;400042 said:
yeah have heard that aswell.Let's hope they can sign a few handy players to had to there good mix they have. Maybe a keeper would be handy. If they sign a few that should help there deepth and help build there juniors aswell. Any news on other clubs? I bet all clubs are working overtime to get players!!!!

For district Raiders should be the big improvers this year, if not it would be a big let down.
From what I've heard they aren't losing anyone, and with Middo on board as coach (good move there), as well as Josh Beard available they should travel well in district.
One thing they do definately need is a keeper, they havent had one for 2 seasons and I think it was a big reason why they were relegated in the first place.

Hopefully Baranduda will be able to recruit a few as well and field an A grade team again, would be a shame to see them only in the 2s again.

And by the sounds of it, hell has frozen over. Barny are actually looking to install a turf wicket, ABOUT BLOODY TIME! As long as it doesnt take 3 years to install.

Ritchie;401981 said:
As Usual Lavington look like self imploding, the chokers of the competition are more focused on how good they think they are then how good they actually are. Shows the calibre of their personell for them to have an open stoush on this forum, all those guys up there that are worth having had better jump ship before it sinks! From the outside looking in this is certainly poor leadership, someone who is respected up there better grab hold of the reins before its too late.

Well done to Raiders on securing Middo, he will bring alot to that club which they dearly need after being left high and dry with most of their 1st grade side departing before last season after they were the ones who got the club relegated due to their poor performance......that wasn't good form so for the guys who have stuck it out good luck next year.

Albury may have got Marmo but a leopard doesn't change its spots just by changing its name, these guys may recruit enough personell to stay around next year but long term a change of attitude is required.

Surely with all the changes happening at board level the competition will take this chance to impose requirements on clubs that want to compete in the provincial competition: e.g. facilities, junior structure, financials etc. and if a club can't met these requirements then division 2 for them or better still go compete in another competition. There is no point or future for the game locally to leave the development of younger cricketers up to 5-6 clubs while others wait like sharks to recruit them, i say create your own cricketers or leave the competition, for years the SS&A cricket club/Albury Titans/Albury Club have not had juniors so when the hell is someone going to grow the balls to make a decision that 4-6 junior teams become mandatory to compete?
As well as this when the promotion relegation comes in again it should be the team who finishes on top of the ladder at the end of the home and away series that is promoted and not the team who ends up Premiers, that way it gives all other clubs a chance to compete for some silverware at the end of the year! I mean at the end of the day we want the club that can compete over a sustained period of time to be the promoted club, not a club who may happen to have a good couple of weeks during a finals series.......this will also allow clubs who do not want to be promoted to "tank" if need be and not finish on top thus gaining promortion but to then also have the opportunity to achieve some success by being Premiers of that competition.;)

i do agree with you ritchie with the promotion of the minor premiership winner in district, i think this will ensure the strongest club gets put up. but i dont agree with your thinking about relegating those who dont have enough junior teams. i dont think teams deliberately poach juniors from clubs, its just that they would proby get a better go at a diff club. eg, ben joos, left lavi to play for north, and you can say that north poached him, but he left to play seniors because he was told he wouldnt play seniors for lavi, and he wanted to play with his mate farrell.
look at certain teams in district, many of them dont have juniors and probly wont have the numbers to ever make a team eg mt beaty etc. so if they change the rules so you have to have juniors, the best teams may never play provincial. eg, relegate albury and have them play district, they may smash everyone everyweek but not get promoted. just my thoughts.

any more player movements between clubs?

Sorry mate don't agree, accepting mediocrity breeds mediocrity.
To all those clubs sooking i say roll your sleeves up and have a go and stop making excuses, as far as Ben Joos is concerned his circumstance is different as he has gone from one club that does have a strong junior structure (Lavington) to another club with a strong junior structure (Nth Albury).
The point i am trying to make is that it seems too few clubs are left to produce good local juniors while others are lazy about developing a strong junior programme because they are allowed to be......i am sure that if a club that prides itself on its senior performances (take Albury for example) was forced to have a junior programme to compete at our highest level then they would make it happen, the fact that they aren't gives them the excuse not to!

As usual there is plenty of talk of player movements at this time of year but i have heard that anyone with a pulse has been called by Albury and they are offering the world, must be big brown paper bags in the canteen at Bilson Park!:eek:

Ritchie;402221 said:
Sorry mate don't agree, accepting mediocrity breeds mediocrity.
To all those clubs sooking i say roll your sleeves up and have a go and stop making excuses, as far as Ben Joos is concerned his circumstance is different as he has gone from one club that does have a strong junior structure (Lavington) to another club with a strong junior structure (Nth Albury).
The point i am trying to make is that it seems too few clubs are left to produce good local juniors while others are lazy about developing a strong junior programme because they are allowed to be......i am sure that if a club that prides itself on its senior performances (take Albury for example) was forced to have a junior programme to compete at our highest level then they would make it happen, the fact that they aren't gives them the excuse not to!

As usual there is plenty of talk of player movements at this time of year but i have heard that anyone with a pulse has been called by Albury and they are offering the world, must be big brown paper bags in the canteen at Bilson Park!:eek:

no mate, i do agree with you there, now that you put it like that. now im not arguing with you, just being the devils advocate. how would a club like that, excluding secluded teams like mt beaty etc, get juniors. for example, since titans are just down the road from north, and they 'poached' juniors to make their own junior club, they would be crucified for it. not too many teams have an abundance of juniors, even if titans took a couple of players from each club in each division, existing junior clubs may struggle.
if, say a north albury, being a powerhouse of the comp, one year for some reason had a lack of juniors, would we be discussing this, or is it just because we hated ss and a, and now titans?

Short and Fast;402230 said:
no mate, i do agree with you there, now that you put it like that. now im not arguing with you, just being the devils advocate. how would a club like that, excluding secluded teams like mt beaty etc, get juniors. for example, since titans are just down the road from north, and they 'poached' juniors to make their own junior club, they would be crucified for it. not too many teams have an abundance of juniors, even if titans took a couple of players from each club in each division, existing junior clubs may struggle.
if, say a north albury, being a powerhouse of the comp, one year for some reason had a lack of juniors, would we be discussing this, or is it just because we hated ss and a, and now titans?

Well S&F New City are a perfect example, they have created juniors out of nothing so perhaps someone from that club could tell how. In my opinion CAW should only allow clubs to field 2 teams in each age group max, that way the clubs who have 3 teams or more would be able to offer junior cricketers to the other clubs....just an idea. Personally i don't think it is up to you or i to determine how this is done i am sure that clubs put in the position of having to have good junior structure will find a way!:rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing something positive about the association in the paper instead of all the controversy!

Hi Everyone,

Just my two bobs worth on Lavington. While they do have some problems at the club which I believe in recognised by committee and they are looking at rectifying these problems. In terms of blooding, Lavington have not ignored their juniors, most of the players in the 3rd grade side that made the semi finals were juniors, including some under 13s. Also when you list the players from the teams of the decades, that have gone. Not all have left, because of any ill feeling with the way the club has been run, some have left because of work commitments.

3rds
Dan Hummerich - Used to play at SS&A right? Any more information about him? under rated batsman for years, even team mates doubted him. kills oposition with picket fences and builds a solid innings without you knowing
Simon Stobbart(c) - Wiley old veteran! can run you out without you knowing :) rumoured to be the brains behind the sucess the thirds have been having in recent years
Tim Nicholls - Tim's a really good club man from all reports. If not careful will get quick runs without you noticing.
Brayden Mulvey - Don't know much about him. Details? youngster with a lot of potential.
Andrew Butcher - Don't know much about him. Details? quick between wickets. too good for thirds.
Chris Whelan(vc) - Really, really handy cricketer. Actually, handy sportsman allround. Was a good footballer in the O&M as well. Correct! handy all rounround superstar
Darren Murphy - Don't know much about him. making a name fo himself in the gong, leadership material when he returns to Albury.
Marcus Green (wk) - Does the karaoke at the New Albury Hotel!:p not just a keeper, can bowl a left arm medium that will make you cry. can make quick runs
Cam McCormack - Did well in a few second grade games this season didn't he? another that can scare with the bat and ball. his sledging will worry you
Asif Mohammed - Don't know much about him. Best spin bowler in the area before leaving the game. probably didnt have the will to keep playing but took alot of wickets with a small avg.
Michael Bocquet - Don't know much about him. Details?third grade cricketer of the year in '05? played some second grade cricket, very handy at No.11. work is getting in the way of this talent
Scott Hayward(12th) - Nathan's brother? Can bat and bowl, moved to Melbourne for Uni but has kept in touvh and played in the flag of '09

can anyone confirm the rumours about rhys jones. heard he will go to lavi if jack daniels is still playing. who will captain north now.

who will be the two unlucky teams to get relegated. albury,dederang,belvoir,new city?

Short and Fast;402582 said:
can anyone confirm the rumours about rhys jones. heard he will go to lavi if jack daniels is still playing. who will captain north now.

who will be the two unlucky teams to get relegated. albury,dederang,belvoir,new city?

Rhys is on the commitee at North Albury so id imagine he will be playing there.
Also hear on the grapevine that Jack will not be Captain or Coach this season at Nth.

i have been asked by a mate how much money new city is throwing around. i couldnt tell him anything because i didnt know anything but he seems to think cupido is getting up to 3 grand to sign plus incentives. he also seems to think that they are approaching players such as ash rosevear, brad smith, ash sutherland, cam sawyer, and ther was another name but i cant remember it. any ideas if this is true or if he is just listening to rumours

Short and Fast;402781 said:
i have been asked by a mate how much money new city is throwing around. i couldnt tell him anything because i didnt know anything but he seems to think cupido is getting up to 3 grand to sign plus incentives. he also seems to think that they are approaching players such as ash rosevear, brad smith, ash sutherland, cam sawyer, and ther was another name but i cant remember it. any ideas if this is true or if he is just listening to rumours

They would definitely be paying Cupido something....i have heard all sorts of rumours about this ranging up to $7k, but i doubt it would be anything like that.
Not sure who they are approaching as recruits but they certainly need a few if they are to avoid relegation.
Bottom 4 would definitely be between New City, Albury, Dederang and possibly Belvoir. Belvoir have some really talented younger blokes but lack the quality experienced players to go with it.And don't get me wrong i am a fan of what the guys at New City have achieved but how they perform will be based on the recruits they can get.

I have heard Wodonga will lose quite a few, and that East Albury may also struggle a bit.

Looks like North, Lavy and St.Pats would be the teams most likely for success. District proves to be an interesting competition as well, sure Mt.Beauty and Kiewa will be up there but Raiders are right amongst it and Yack will be hard to beat with their younger players showing big improvement after being exposed to the provincial level.

Ritchie;403076 said:
They would definitely be paying Cupido something....i have heard all sorts of rumours about this ranging up to $7k, but i doubt it would be anything like that.
Not sure who they are approaching as recruits but they certainly need a few if they are to avoid relegation.
Bottom 4 would definitely be between New City, Albury, Dederang and possibly Belvoir. Belvoir have some really talented younger blokes but lack the quality experienced players to go with it.And don't get me wrong i am a fan of what the guys at New City have achieved but how they perform will be based on the recruits they can get.

I have heard Wodonga will lose quite a few, and that East Albury may also struggle a bit.

Looks like North, Lavy and St.Pats would be the teams most likely for success. District proves to be an interesting competition as well, sure Mt.Beauty and Kiewa will be up there but Raiders are right amongst it and Yack will be hard to beat with their younger players showing big improvement after being exposed to the provincial level.

Well Cupido wouldn't come cheap. Just wondering if he lives upto his footy tag. Ifso NewCity should go all right. Bottom four will be close but like always there's a upset or two during the season. Just wondering if East or Wodonga end up in bottom 2 what outrage that would cause.:eek::eek::eek:

Now with Middo signing at Raiders he will bring some very handy players to top up there list. But it's all about teaching the kids and they have some very handy ones. Who have stayed at the club and will benefit from him. Just wondering if Purta will play this season? Which ever club he goes they might make finals and win. He seems to have a knack at getting over the line in the big one. Mt Beauty seem to start off slow but build up to the finals. You don't want to play them in finals ...

pretty quiet on here guys, any new news on the grapevine. hear david farrell is the new captain of north. will jack stay at north?

Short and Fast;403817 said:
pretty quiet on here guys, any new news on the grapevine. hear david farrell is the new captain of north. will jack stay at north?

Word is there was going to be a mass exodus of their quality young guys if Jack remained in charge. A lot of their young blokes believed to not have been happy with not getting a go particularly in the GF. Will be very interesting to see where Jack heads, my mail is that he leaves Bunton Park, maybe a new challemge is what he needs and perhaps his mate Marmo is already in his ear to head to Albury :D

Also heard that current district cricketer of the year (Mark Purtell) will defend his title and move with Middo to Raiders where i believe Ben Stewart will also be playing this year......sorry New City not sure you guys are aware of this!

Lavington will be disappointed with both Dylan Wedding and his brother and Sam O'Connor moving to Albury as well.....who else will depart the Panther Dome?

Ritchie;404124 said:
Word is there was going to be a mass exodus of their quality young guys if Jack remained in charge. A lot of their young blokes believed to not have been happy with not getting a go particularly in the GF. Will be very interesting to see where Jack heads, my mail is that he leaves Bunton Park, maybe a new challemge is what he needs and perhaps his mate Marmo is already in his ear to head to Albury :D

Also heard that current district cricketer of the year (Mark Purtell) will defend his title and move with Middo to Raiders where i believe Ben Stewart will also be playing this year......sorry New City not sure you guys are aware of this!

Lavington will be disappointed with both Dylan Wedding and his brother and Sam O'Connor moving to Albury as well.....who else will depart the Panther Dome?

Sounds like North could be listening to there young guns and making the club survive in the future.

What will Jack do is the big question? Or more to point where will he play?? Not sure if he'll go to Albury.

Purta to Raiders would be a very handy pick up after his little spell at the start of the season. He will be primed for finals. That's his forte!!!! Not sure about Ben Stewart playing but if he does what a batting line up. Heard Middo is working over time getting players to Raiders in all grades. He does a great job at getting players to which ever club he's at. I can see why clubs chase him to coach( co-ordinate:D ) The season is not that far away so things should start to hot up soon.....

Ritchie;404124 said:

doubt jack would play under marmo, two big of an ego.

Dylan Weeding and Sam O'Connor leaving Lavi? firstly they arent brothers, secondly - i doubt they would leave when the club is starting to have some good success. if true, must have had a huge fallout. i no that sam was angry that juniors werent getting a good go, but i doubt he would leave after putting so much into the club. might have to check your sourses ritch:)

Back