Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cricket Albury/wodonga (caw)

Mmm, plenty of talk about new city on here guys, to me that either says it is New City people OR this club has the others looking over their shoulder at them!! i think it could be abit of both.

My personal point of view on this club is simply this: Appear to be going about it the right way, have good people leading the club off the field, the club is still in its infancy and it is based in town at a pretty good location and facility. Not sure why the current competition they play in has anything to do with attracting good players, this club will end up in provincial its just a matter of when so if a club has the right environment is the current grade they play in really that important?

Here is a question for all:

What is it that attracts a player to a club? Is it the grade that the club is playing in and only that or is it really about structure, environment and fun? OR for some it may well be about the Neville!

Well done to Steve Baker, he should go well and yes i agree he is just what the phoenix need (plus he has his brothers running this club). I have no doubt that he will attract other better cricketers to this club and i personally see it as a sign that new city are ready to have a fair dinkum crack at winning district and moving into the provincial ranks...good luck boys! and Luke restall is an ex New City player (although this is a different entity) why wouldn't he consider going back to play for a club that harbours the name of where it all started for him, very interesting.:cool:

The Fast Man;349551 said:
A few rumours around as always happens at this time of year,
Scott Vincent to Kiewa,
Dan Dixon to Dederang,these are just a couple I heard in the last few days

Jack Gilbee to Lavington was 1 that i have heard in the last few weeks.

Ritchie;348029 said:
It will be interesting to see who New City pick up. I am told by cricket officials that the club structure they are putting in place is pretty good and i geuss this would be a very attractive new "in town" club for anyone looking for a change to suit up for.

All early days yet and a player like Steve Baker will be just what they need (if this is true) after picking up Furze last year, but judging by their performance last year you would think they need to target batsmen?? (Maybe someone from New City or Middo could comment here)

Have heard Purtell going to Bethanga which is another club that doesn't need too much to really push for promotion, thay have some good younger players.

In my opinion the two competitions appear to be getting closer with the top 4 sides in District certainly capable of beating the bottom four sides in provincial....still a fair distance between the top four in provincial to the rest.

Would Steve Baker attract other quality players to New City? :confused:

Dont think New City needed any more quality bats than wot they had this yr probably just need the blokes they have got to not b so aggressive so early in thier innings.

Bowling wise they probably had the best bowler in the comp in Furze,problem was the big fella bowled too well on more than 1 occasion.

Bakes will be a handy pick up for The Pheonix but im not sure he is the high Profile player that a club could recruit around.

Not taking anything away from Bakes he has been and still is a terrific bowler,just hope he doesnt have the same problem that furzy had.

heard on the grapevine today that new city may have added to their depth by signing lavington reserve grade players - bartley, vassalo and chris sawyer to their ranks... no superstars in that lot would certainly increase the depth at the urana rd oval...

The Fast Man;349551 said:
A few rumours around as always happens at this time of year,
Scott Vincent to Kiewa,
Dan Dixon to Dederang,these are just a couple I heard in the last few days

Jack Gilbee to Lavington was 1 that i have heard in the last few weeks.

carlosboozer;349702 said:
Are you sure Purtell has enough room for all the different caps??
You are right in regard to Steve Baker, he would attract good players to New City because he goes about the right way. Plays hard and enjoys himself after the game. Maybe just what City needs, a good hard nut.
The top 4 in Provincial and the other 13 or 14 clubs have smoe distance to make up but from what i'm hearing about the North players maybe they need to rebuild too??

Steve Baker would be a good pick up, but just dont rely on him when it is really needed ie finals etc his body just doesnt allow him to bowl like he needs to. will give them more depth and expierience thou.
As For North, what are you hearing about them?
hope its not the usual stuff every one says at this time of the year.
Is it that the players arnt happy winning every thing, both border express cups and the flag also. On my calculations that is 6 flags in 9 years! yeah , I bet everyone is jumping ship.
'Jealousy is a curse'

heard on the grapevine today that new city may have added to their depth by signing lavington reserve grade players - bartley, vassalo and chris sawyer to their ranks... no superstars in that lot would certainly increase the depth at the urana rd oval...

Wanie eat your heart out;350531 said:
Steve Baker would be a good pick up, but just dont rely on him when it is really needed ie finals etc his body just doesnt allow him to bowl like he needs to. will give them more depth and expierience thou.
Is it that the players arnt happy winning every thing, both border express cups and the flag also. On my calculations that is 6 flags in 9 years! yeah , I bet everyone is jumping ship.
'Jealousy is a curse'
Probably right about Baker body, he gives that fron tknee an awful hiding at the bowling crease. Rumour is though he's wanted more for his leadership qualities and his batting which is pretty good too. Don't forget he nearly won the GF against North on his own a few years back when he made a terrific 50 to get Lavi out of the shit. New City have enough bowlers to cover him if he dosn't want to bowl much but look out for his batting.

carlosboozer;349702 said:
Are you sure Purtell has enough room for all the different caps??
You are right in regard to Steve Baker, he would attract good players to New City because he goes about the right way. Plays hard and enjoys himself after the game. Maybe just what City needs, a good hard nut.
The top 4 in Provincial and the other 13 or 14 clubs have smoe distance to make up but from what i'm hearing about the North players maybe they need to rebuild too??

'Jealousy is a curse'

good point carlosboozer. From what i here New City have more signings on the way, so it would appear Steve Bakers signature has created interest for others to jump on board at Urana Rd and although he is a good bowler i agree he will not be required specifically for this, Furze, Baude and co are easily good enough.....is it a case of all aboard the phoenix train?? It would appear we have a new "order of the phoenix", lets see if this club which is hailed as having so much potential can actually create some magic and make it happen (sorry about the Harry Potter analagy but i can see a Border Mail article with Steve Baker dressed as Harry Potter in the near future.....Steve Baker and the order of the Phoenix??

I agree with the North Albury thing....even if this club does lose some senior players they have plenty of depth and an array of young talent which Costello and Barton always seem to get going.

With Titans future clouded and Bethanga also in trouble will we see 2 x 8 team competitions in the near future OR should the competition be combined?? If Titans fold this will save Raiders but also create one less team in District with Dederang going up and no-one being relegated, then if Bethenga don't get a side the District comp will end up with 6 teams. So lets say we have a 10 and then a 6 team comp how will the league go about creating the 2 x 8 team competitions? Stay tuned folks there is bound to be plenty of upheaval within the Provincial competition for which 3 teams will be relegated to make this happen. Or is there another way?:rolleyes:

Wanie eat your heart out;350531 said:
'Jealousy is a curse'
Probably right about Baker body, he gives that fron tknee an awful hiding at the bowling crease. Rumour is though he's wanted more for his leadership qualities and his batting which is pretty good too. Don't forget he nearly won the GF against North on his own a few years back when he made a terrific 50 to get Lavi out of the shit. New City have enough bowlers to cover him if he dosn't want to bowl much but look out for his batting.

Ritchie;350625 said:
(sorry about the Harry Potter analagy but i can see a Border Mail article with Steve Baker dressed as Harry Potter in the near future.....Steve Baker and the order of the Phoenix??

In my experience playing against Baker I've never actually considered him a 'hard nut'!! And a return of 80 runs and 2 wickets in first grade last year hardly warrants any marquee signing tag in my view.
However if my sources from up lavi are true the only border mail article we'll be reading about him will be in front pages :D

good point carlosboozer. From what i here New City have more signings on the way, so it would appear Steve Bakers signature has created interest for others to jump on board at Urana Rd and although he is a good bowler i agree he will not be required specifically for this, Furze, Baude and co are easily good enough.....is it a case of all aboard the phoenix train?? It would appear we have a new "order of the phoenix", lets see if this club which is hailed as having so much potential can actually create some magic and make it happen (sorry about the Harry Potter analagy but i can see a Border Mail article with Steve Baker dressed as Harry Potter in the near future.....Steve Baker and the order of the Phoenix??

I agree with the North Albury thing....even if this club does lose some senior players they have plenty of depth and an array of young talent which Costello and Barton always seem to get going.

With Titans future clouded and Bethanga also in trouble will we see 2 x 8 team competitions in the near future OR should the competition be combined?? If Titans fold this will save Raiders but also create one less team in District with Dederang going up and no-one being relegated, then if Bethenga don't get a side the District comp will end up with 6 teams. So lets say we have a 10 and then a 6 team comp how will the league go about creating the 2 x 8 team competitions? Stay tuned folks there is bound to be plenty of upheaval within the Provincial competition for which 3 teams will be relegated to make this happen. Or is there another way?:rolleyes:

Ritchie;350625 said:

I believe that because Wodonga won the District B grade flag last yr they will b told they will play in District A this season and St.Pats have also expressed interest in having a District A grade side in for the upcoming season.:eek::p:eek:

Ritchie;350625 said:
(sorry about the Harry Potter analagy but i can see a Border Mail article with Steve Baker dressed as Harry Potter in the near future.....Steve Baker and the order of the Phoenix??

In my experience playing against Baker I've never actually considered him a 'hard nut'!! And a return of 80 runs and 2 wickets in first grade last year hardly warrants any marquee signing tag in my view.
However if my sources from up lavi are true the only border mail article we'll be reading about him will be in front pages :D

Inswinga;350644 said:
Ritchie;350625 said:

And from what i here inswinga he has plenty of mates at Lavy who did sweet FA last year too, but lets remember that coming back from injury he did single handedly win Lavy thier second grade flag.....i geuss time will tell. At the end of the day he has played plenty of high level cricket, won country weeks and local flags so if nothing else his experience would certainly be most welcome at any club.

Interesting to read that the district 1st grade could be filled by Wodonga and St.Pats, i am not sure this is sending the right message but if it gets the competition through for a year while the league decides how best to set up the two divisions then i am all for it.

I have heard Dederang have contacted every player in the league in an attempt to "fill out" their list.......brown paper bags for everyone!

On another note good luck to Andrew McDonald, he has a lot of knockers against his inclusion in the side but we all should show our support for the ex New City player......this is great for Border Cricket, lets hope he has good tour.;)

Ritchie;350625 said:

I believe that because Wodonga won the District B grade flag last yr they will b told they will play in District A this season and St.Pats have also expressed interest in having a District A grade side in for the upcoming season.:eek::p:eek:

Inswinga;350644 said:
Ritchie;350625 said:

Good point inswinger, I wonder if Newcity know about his little escapade that will see him on the front page.

Inswinga;350644 said:
Ritchie;350625 said:

And from what i here inswinga he has plenty of mates at Lavy who did sweet FA last year too, but lets remember that coming back from injury he did single handedly win Lavy thier second grade flag.....i geuss time will tell. At the end of the day he has played plenty of high level cricket, won country weeks and local flags so if nothing else his experience would certainly be most welcome at any club.

Interesting to read that the district 1st grade could be filled by Wodonga and St.Pats, i am not sure this is sending the right message but if it gets the competition through for a year while the league decides how best to set up the two divisions then i am all for it.

I have heard Dederang have contacted every player in the league in an attempt to "fill out" their list.......brown paper bags for everyone!

On another note good luck to Andrew McDonald, he has a lot of knockers against his inclusion in the side but we all should show our support for the ex New City player......this is great for Border Cricket, lets hope he has good tour.;)

Wanie eat your heart out;350817 said:
Inswinga;350644 said:
Good point inswinger, I wonder if Newcity know about his little escapade that will see him on the front page.

Be careful guys, i have heard this rumour as well. Steve is a well respected guy who comes from a well known local family and as nothing has been proved yet we should only assume it is all rumours.....be careful which way you sling mud boys because you could get some on yourself. Give the guy the decency that all people are innocent until proven otherwise.

This forum is no place for this type of discussion.

Inswinga;350644 said:
Ritchie;350625 said:

Ritchie;350825 said:
Be careful guys, i have heard this rumour as well. Steve is a well respected guy who comes from a well known local family and as nothing has been proved yet we should only assume it is all rumours.....be careful which way you sling mud boys because you could get some on yourself. Give the guy the decency that all people are innocent until proven otherwise.

Good point, Let's move on to something else.
What's this i hear about St Pat's and Wodonga wanting to put a side in the District comp? It dosen't work one way and not the other. Why can't then a District side nominate a team in the Provincial comp also?

Inswinga;350644 said:

Here's an idea, the comp should be divided up into 5 divisions.
Div. 1 is the "old" Prov. A
Div.2 is District A
Div.3 is Prov. B
Div. 4 is District B
Div. 5 is C Grade combined

One up, one down promotion/relegation and if a club manages to have 2 teams in the same Division then good luck to them.
Div. 5 is the one day comp. - no promotion unless the team that finishes 1st wants to enter Div. 4 in a two day capacity.
No relegation from Div. 4., unless a Div. 5 team applies for promotion.
Each Division must have an even number of teams entered and a committment must be given before the draw is announced that each team will be represented in each week of play (No Forfeits), or a fine system should be introduced for each week forfeited by that team.
The top 8 teams from Provincial A form Div. 1, with the bottom two starting in Div. 2 if there is to be potentially just 6 District A teams.

Any thoughts?

Ritchie;350825 said:

Good point, Let's move on to something else.
What's this i hear about St Pat's and Wodonga wanting to put a side in the District comp? It dosen't work one way and not the other. Why can't then a District side nominate a team in the Provincial comp also?

Inswinga;350644 said:

If they do, they do but as it's more than likely non cricket related, we'll leave it on the front pages of the local rag.

Here's an idea, the comp should be divided up into 5 divisions.
Div. 1 is the "old" Prov. A
Div.2 is District A
Div.3 is Prov. B
Div. 4 is District B
Div. 5 is C Grade combined

One up, one down promotion/relegation and if a club manages to have 2 teams in the same Division then good luck to them.
Div. 5 is the one day comp. - no promotion unless the team that finishes 1st wants to enter Div. 4 in a two day capacity.
No relegation from Div. 4., unless a Div. 5 team applies for promotion.
Each Division must have an even number of teams entered and a committment must be given before the draw is announced that each team will be represented in each week of play (No Forfeits), or a fine system should be introduced for each week forfeited by that team.
The top 8 teams from Provincial A form Div. 1, with the bottom two starting in Div. 2 if there is to be potentially just 6 District A teams.

Any thoughts?

Rumour mill tells me Restall and Hawking going to Belvoir.
Also Titans to keep going but to be the club that gets demoted.....lucky raiders.
Apparently Mount Beauty are ready to bring in more imports!

Its a safe bet that Mitchell johnson will be australias player of the series in the Ashes but which Aussie cricketer will be the surprise packet? look for big things from Siddle with the ball and Haddin with the bat!

Inswinga;350644 said:

If they do, they do but as it's more than likely non cricket related, we'll leave it on the front pages of the local rag.

hey richie,
just to clear those rumours up,restall and hawkins are staying at titans as restall has just signed on as captain.
the club is set for a big year,so raiders go down were you belong,you come last,what can i say,rules are rules

Rumour mill tells me Restall and Hawking going to Belvoir.
Also Titans to keep going but to be the club that gets demoted.....lucky raiders.
Apparently Mount Beauty are ready to bring in more imports!

Its a safe bet that Mitchell johnson will be australias player of the series in the Ashes but which Aussie cricketer will be the surprise packet? look for big things from Siddle with the ball and Haddin with the bat!

the chief;352720 said:
hey richie,
just to clear those rumours up,restall and hawkins are staying at titans as restall has just signed on as captain.
the club is set for a big year,so raiders go down were you belong,you come last,what can i say,rules are rules

Thanks for that.....but why should they be allowed to stay in provincial? they have no juniors....isn't this a pre-requisite to take part in the competition?:D

hey richie,

Ritchie;352726 said:
Thanks for that.....but why should they be allowed to stay in provincial? they have no juniors....isn't this a pre-requisite to take part in the competition?:D

They haven't had Juniors for decades now, Can't see why it would make a difference now? I say let 'em stay for the time being. They didn't finish last like poor old Raiders did. Maybe they go down after this season and then see if they can stay afloat after that.
:cool:There are at least a couple of District clubs that are on the right track to go up and bring a strong junior base with them.

the chief;352720 said:
hey richie,

clint gilson coach of titans,craig mannah and hayden brown have just signed for the titans.
could be a big year for the titans with restall,hawking,markham,timmy cread from sydney,all comitting to the new season,with no other big departures the club is looking good.
with new president & committee everything is back on track from the shambles that happened last year.

Ritchie;352726 said:

They haven't had Juniors for decades now, Can't see why it would make a difference now? I say let 'em stay for the time being. They didn't finish last like poor old Raiders did. Maybe they go down after this season and then see if they can stay afloat after that.
:cool:There are at least a couple of District clubs that are on the right track to go up and bring a strong junior base with them.

the chief;353317 said:
clint gilson coach of titans,craig mannah and hayden brown have just signed for the titans.
could be a big year for the titans with restall,hawking,markham,timmy cread from sydney,all comitting to the new season,with no other big departures the club is looking good.
with new president & committee everything is back on track from the shambles that happened last year.

That's quite funny just spoke to gilson bull and marko then and that's complete horse shit 2 of them are playin at kinross and the other is playin in melbs so wherever u get ur info from should be shot

hoppers_08;353322 said:
That's quite funny just spoke to gilson bull and marko then and that's complete horse shit 2 of them are playin at kinross and the other is playin in melbs so wherever u get ur info from should be shot
Been told the 'official' line that 22 went to their AGM, they have 40 players on their books and Markham, Gilson, Hawking etc are returning.:rolleyes: Bit hard to believe that after struggling to get 2 teams on the park at the end of last season. However, heard that only 12 went to the meeting of which 10 were 3rds players and they were confident of getting only 2 teams on the park. So who do you believe?:confused::confused::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back