Cricket Australia Contracts 2008-09

Ljp86

Staff member
Cricket Australia Contracts 2008-09

Cricket Australia has released its contracted list for the 2008-09 season. David Hussey, Doug Bollinger, Beau Casson and Shaun Marsh were included onto the list for their first contracts with Simon Katich and Ashley Noffke regaining their contracts after missing out in 07-08.

The retirements of Adam Gilchrist, Brad Hogg and Jason Gillespie see them off the list as well as Cullen Bailey and Dan Cullen who have been axed and also Chris Rogers who was surprisingly axed also despite playing his first test for Australia at the WACA ground earlier this year. Rogers recently announced that he was leaving Western Australia for a fresh start at another state. With Rogers losing his CA contract, his new state will have to fund his entire salary which is rumoured to be about $A110,000.

2008-2009 Cricket Australia Contracted Players
Code:
Name            State  Age

Doug Bollinger   NSW   26 
Nathan Bracken   NSW   30 
Beau Casson      NSW   25 
Stuart Clark     NSW   32 
Michael Clarke   NSW   27 
Brad Haddin      NSW   30 
Matthew Hayden   Qld   36 
Ben Hilfenhaus   Tas   25 
Brad Hodge       Vic   33 
James Hopes      Qld   29 
David Hussey     Vic   30 
Mike Hussey       WA   32 
Phil Jaques      NSW   28 
Mitchell Johnson Qld   26 
Simon Katich     NSW   32 
Brett Lee        NSW   31 
Stuart MacGill   NSW   37 
Shaun Marsh       WA   24 
Ashley Noffke    Qld   30 
Ricky Ponting    Tas   33 
Andrew Symonds   Qld   32 
Shaun Tait        SA   25 
Adam Voges        WA   28 
Shane Watson     Qld   26 
Cameron White    Vic   24

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/345640.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts on this? Tait still there despite battling depression, it looks likely that he will play for South Australia next season, they will need him badly too. Bailey and Cullen's omissions are not surprising, both had pretty poor seasons, Bailey's was attrocious, one wicket in two games for a bowling average of over 250 while Cullen's almost reached the 50 mark.

Rogers' omission is rather interesting though. He would easily be Australia's best opener behind Hayden and Jaques so his dropping makes no sense. The selectors may have other plans or perhaps they aren't happy with him changing states.

The inclusions are pretty straightforward. Katich had a stellar season and his sheer weight of runs sees him gain a spot. David Hussey too had a great season with the bat in all forms of the game which is a testament to his versatility. Doug Bollinger's great bowling form sees him pick up a contract, Doug took 45 wickets for the Blues last season in the Pura Cup and had a few good one-day games. Noffke is back on the list after carrying Queensland all year, Casson is now Australia's second spinner so him getting a contract is a no-brainer. Shaun Marsh is the son of former Australian opener Geoff Marsh and this is a sweet reward for Marsh who was suspended by WA early in the season for disciplinary reasons. That suspension has most certainly turned him around and his form has skyrocketed since. However, Marsh will only be a limited-overs option.

Pretty good list, the majority of the squad is either 30 or younger so definitely something for Australian cricket in the future.

Re: Cricket Australia Contracts 2008-09

find it interesting Shaun Tait still gets a gig: he'll be back playing for SA - he was always going to. But straight back into a CA contract? i would have thought they give him a season to get back into it on at state level.

Apart from maybe Shaun Marsh it's basically what you'd expect. i didn't expect Shaun to get one for a while, but he's been rewarded for a good season.

But some very good names on that list.

aussieman;216339 said:
find it interesting Shaun Tait still gets a gig: he'll be back playing for SA - he was always going to. But straight back into a CA contract? i would have thought they give him a season to get back into it on at state level.

Apart from maybe Shaun Marsh it's basically what you'd expect. i didn't expect Shaun to get one for a while, but he's been rewarded for a good season.

But some very good names on that list.

Shaun Tait is the golden child of CA. They just love him the next true speedster for Australia since Thommo and Lillie. But really all he has done is get injured, bowl wides and no-balls and suffer depression (bit harsh on that point) but how many more chances do we need to give him

Guru™;216366 said:
Shaun Tait is the golden child of CA. They just love him the next true speedster for Australia since Thommo and Lillie. But really all he has done is get injured, bowl wides and no-balls and suffer depression (bit harsh on that point) but how many more chances do we need to give him

Your first sentence answered your own question. Tait is the golden child so he'll get as many chances as he needs. He is a good bowler though, he just needs to stop getting injured and get his house in order.

Would you call Tait a good bowler? He's a reasonable bowler who has his moments, but I wouldn't have him in the top 5-6 fast bowlers. He's not consistent enough to merit any selections.

Maybe Bing is keeping him in the team, hoping that Tait can better Bing's worst bowling figures of 4/201 off 39 overs.

(Thats conceeding more than 5 runs an over in test match cricket.... insane ;) )

el-capitano;216445 said:
Would you call Tait a good bowler? He's a reasonable bowler who has his moments, but I wouldn't have him in the top 5-6 fast bowlers. He's not consistent enough to merit any selections.

Maybe Bing is keeping him in the team, hoping that Tait can better Bing's worst bowling figures of 4/201 off 39 overs.

(Thats conceeding more than 5 runs an over in test match cricket.... insane ;) )
Although Tait does have his moments and can conceed lots of runs he has the 'X' Factor.
The beuaty of tait is that you dont know where he is going to pitch the ball, It could be a half tracker or it could be the perfect in-swinging yorker that is un playable. Some one like tait is very hard to face tbh.

Worst action in world cricket :D - My back aches every time I see him bowl. ;)

r137554_468125.jpg

Everytime I see the ball bowled like that it just makes me squirm. I am so suprised he isn't in a wheel chair

el-capitano;216445 said:

4 more test wickets than you will ever get.

TheStraighter1;217364 said:
4 more test wickets than you will ever get.

Oh please- I'm one of Bing's biggest supporters and having met the bloke, I know he's one of the nicest guys you've ever met, however, even he would be realistic enough to laugh at those figures.

They aren't what you'd call complimentary, even though they were up against a formidable batting side at the time. ;)

Next time you are down the shops, see if you can buy something called a sense of humour, helpful things those! :)

Back