Cricket Australia Contracts - 2011/12

They are too scared to do anything at all. All they've done is cut a few players who should have been gone a year a more ago and made one guy accountable for everything that has happened even though he has been one of few who have carried the side.

It's baffling how Krejza and Cummins have contracts yet Katich doesn't. Even Ponting probably should have one considering the form he has been in for quite a while now.

Ponting has credits in the bank, that's the only reason he's there. He has the best captaincy record ever (wins-losses wise) and did an outstanding job after initially taking over from Steve Waugh. If he was not captain of the side at any time he wouldn't be on the contract list.

At the very least he should be batting at five or six but that won't happen. CA have made their point, he's basically untouchable until he wants to go out on his own terms.

In all honesty this situation was badly handled by CA and for me the symptom of the damage that Australia is doing to themselves. As a non Australian who supports a nation that cant win when the pressure is on I am absolutely dumb founded by this situation. For me Katich is the personification of Australian cricket tough as nails and when he dominates your attack then you know that you are in trouble. The mere fact that they dumped him in his manner is nothing other than disrespectful. Yes, I know he is an ex-employee of CA but really after playing injured in three test matches and being the best Aussie batsman in the last 2 years I am in no doubt about the manner in which he went after the Board in that press conference.

I have to ask 2 things? Has anyone noticed that David Boon is to become a ICC match referee and is no longer a selector? Secondly it seems that the Marketing Department at CA is fast becoming a bigger decision maker that the selectors and even the CEO?

In all honesty I expected a massive reaction to the Ashes loss, I no longer rate Sutherland as a CEO and think that Hilditch as selection convener is doing a lot of damage. The quicker those 2 get shown the door the better. I am gonna miss Kat and his steely determination ...

I don't expect anyone else to lose their job. I think the scapegoating started with Mike Young and ended with Kat. Sounds and is ridiculous but there it is.

Tim Nielsen should have been given the sack with the team's record in the past year or two. But apparently like everyone else, apart from Kat and Young, he's doing a fantastic job.

Three losses by an innings in ONE series, which is the worst home result ever apparently, but so what? Come and look at this sparkly new thing we've got for you over here (BBL), don't worry about that steaming pile of manure over there, it'll go away if we just ignore it

And, the Aussies can't cut it under pressure now either. They've been poor in that respect for a while now.

It's also because they don't have much in the way of real fighters in the team. Certainly not in the attack.

Somehow the attach lacks that most basic of skills the one the coach repeats to you when you are 13 years old, line and length. Some of the younger bowlers seem to have a bit of it and Siddle has the heart but lacks that killer ball. Johnson is simply not happening, i have always liked the guy and was happy to give him some slack but that time has passed. He should have found the groove and settled as a spear head by now but it just is not happening as a test cricketer. McGrath was great to me because of line and length he wasn't fast nor massively tricky he just made you play every time and did enough to deceive you. Maybe that's the greatness, to be able to control the ball so it doesn't do too much just what you want.

Somehow the attach lacks that most basic of skills the one the coach repeats to you when you are 13 years old, line and length. Some of the younger bowlers seem to have a bit of it and Siddle has the heart but lacks that killer ball. Johnson is simply not happening, i have always liked the guy and was happy to give him some slack but that time has passed. He should have found the groove and settled as a spear head by now but it just is not happening as a test cricketer. McGrath was great to me because of line and length he wasn't fast nor massively tricky he just made you play every time and did enough to deceive you. Maybe that's the greatness, to be able to control the ball so it doesn't do too much just what you want.

I don't think we'll ever have a bowling attack that operates as a team with Johnson in it. It's not his fault, his action means he hasn't got the control he needs but he gives so little assistance to the other bowlers and when he's bowling like shit, everybody is down, skipper, fielders, everyone.

He also handles expectations badly, so he can't be an attack leader. I think he was thrown into that position far too early, freaked himself out by his performance in SA and just hasn't been that good since. He'll probably end up averaging about 33/34 overall in test cricket before he is dropped, but a strike leader with that average isn't going to win you many big series.

The rankings for the 25 contracted have been leaked. Bollinger is ranked 25th depsite being one of Australia's best bowlers for the past two years and based on that wouldn't have much of a chance to play test cricket this summer barring something drastic.

Smith who averages less than 30 with the bat and more than 70 with the ball in test cricket respectively is ranked a ridiculous 7th. I suppose that alon proves how much of a farce CA have become.

Unsurprisingly, Watson is ranked first.

But as we've learnt, form means nothing or let's face it, Punter wouldn't be in the top 10 either. I thought it was funny that Smith has won the footy pools, I mean gained one of the top CA contracts. He's one down from Mike Hussey.

It not only shows what a farce CA has become that by some weird algorithm of their own he's got his front feet that far in the trough, but also shows how dismal the talent pool really is.

smith really is a surprise at 7th. I question if he is ready for a contract at all. The team has no direction no future, it feels like they have the last couple of oldies left standing some kids and let's hope like sh*t that a miracle happens.

I still believe we need to rid ourselves of hildich and bring Border in as coach. We need captain grumpy to put some backbone into this team. This summer is looking like a blood bath at home right now and i don't see any way out bar a miracle. It won't take long for the ashs to come around again and without action now we will loose our third series in a row, has that ever happened before.

Mixed messages again from selectors, lets actually hope they give some of these younger guys a go. I would not have offered one to Hughs though, previously a big fan but i think he needs to get away from the game and get his head in order, would have preferred to see a player like George Bailey get a go - strong in leadership, decent form and looks like a player readymade for the next level

Back