Darwin & District Cricket - 2010

Darwin & District Cricket - 2010

Will begin posting stuff about the Darwin, NT competition here in the next few weeks. At the moment all clubs are looking fairly strong with a fair bit of interest in the coming season due to the success at the Australian Country Championships in January.

Just a bit of background on the competition to begin with, it is compromised of seven major clubs, with five grades A's through to E's and then your standard age groups for kids. A, B & C grades play on Saturday while the D & E play Sunday. Darwin, Nightcliff, Palmerston, PINT, Southern Districts, Tracy Village and Waratah are main clubs with other clubs such as University and Jabiru that have teams in the lower grades, with I believe a side from Katherine being entered this year.

The A grade competition has received a boost with SACA pushing a draft type deal through with NT Cricket. The draft feature seven players (though two are NT cricketers really), being Borgas, Brinsley, Cranmer, Dolman, Francis, Moffat, and Short. First pick goes to the bottom team and so on in order of the ladder as completed at the end of Round 14 last season.

As usual there are rumours about at the enormous number of imports or so on that teams are getting with the truth strength of each first eleven not really know till the first game in most cases.

Re: Darwin & District Cricket - 2010

will tahs have beau casson again? there form improved dramatically once he came along

I think he is coming back, pretty handy bloke, is the same quality as Mick Miller. A real asset to the side. Tahs have lost Green who is staying in Melbourne, besides that haven't really heard much out of their camp.

some unfair accusations came out of the draft towards tracy village i believe. rumours circulating that they disagreed with the draft and forfeited there pick seem to b false, as i understand they were more interested in a bowler than picking up a bat so they decided to stick to there local young talent. i will b a interested observer of results again this season

I haven't heard any criticism for them forfeiting their pick, but then again I wouldn't have passed up the opportunity to have Borgas in my team if there were no other selections.

I think if there is negative publicity about Tracy Village opting not to choose a draft pick it is unfair. This is a club that has recieved a lot of criticism in previous years for having too many imports.

Turk;395775 said:
I think if there is negative publicity about Tracy Village opting not to choose a draft pick it is unfair. This is a club that has recieved a lot of criticism in previous years for having too many imports.

If they feel the need to disseminate it on the Facebook group page, well, that's their prerogative. End of the day, they're going to cop shit regardless because they're a successful club with strong foundations and a lot of support from their members/sponsors. They don't need to respond to petty rumours or bullshit.

I'll start reviewing each team for 2010, some of the players are still speculation but as it is, here's TV to begin with;

Tracy Village - MyCricket: Tracy Village

TV had moderate success in 2009 in comparison to other years. Winning the One Day flag, crawling into the semi-final in the two day competition and missing the T20 final for the first time after making the GF in the previous two years.

After losing several players mid way through the season (work, transfers) the side struggled to maintain the depth that was required to be a force in the A grade competition. This season may prove just as hard for them.

They have recruited batsman Craig Cachopa (brother of Carl & Brad Cachopa who play for West Torrens in SA), bowler Greg Morgan and all-rounder Elliott Herd, all from New Zealand. Cachopa is of U19 NZ captain quality and made a reasonable impression in the small amount of time he was here last year. Along with that Village have also picked up bats Jon Crowe and Matthew Wall from Palmerston. Stuart Johnstone will take the captaincy and Darren Treumer is coaching.

The big question will be their depth, both in their batting and bowling, with no tons and only five wicket halls coming from imports Donnelly & Smith. Johnstone had a poor 2010 and will be looking to make amends with McDermott also set to look for a big season with the gloves and bat. Tim Knox returns full time with the ball and will give their bowling some much needed pace. Junior players coming through in Carbone and Lycett will continue to gain experience after their debut last year.

With the 2010 season expected to be heavily contested, Village will need to win early games and will rely heavily on their senior players to stand up. Their off field support won't be lacking and they will be competitive but shouldn't be expecting any silverware, will be fighting for 4th spot come September.

Prediction;
T20: 4th
One Day Comp: 3rd
Two Day Comp: 4th or 5th

Players to watch: Johnstone, McDermott & Cachopa

In: C. Cachopa (NZ), G. Morgan (NZ), E. Herd (NZ), J. Crowe (Palmerston), M. Wall (Palmerston).
Out: J. Tasman-Jones, J. Smith, J. Donnelly

Nightcliff - Welcome to the Nightcliff Cricket Club

Nightcliff had an extremely disappointing 2010 as a team, with some individual efforts the only highlight. This season though, should be different, as all reports indicate they have recruited well and there also seems to be a changing of the guard with senior players. Sam Gibson has taken over the captaincy and Nigel Couzens has been appointed coach.

NZ Batsman Marc Calkin is set to return after being the MVP in 2009 and in my opinion the best batsman in the competition. Along with him, batsman James de Terte (NZ), return of wicketkeeper James Needham, new recruits allrounders Doug Bracewell (NZ), Jeremy Kuru (NZ) and Michael Cranmer (East Torrens, SA). Cranmer was their pick up in the SACA draft and should be a very handy inclusion for them.

It is still speculation on how much cricket the Hattons will play, with Brad and Mark still competitive with the ball. The main issue NCC have had over the last few years, is a conductive wicket. With home pitch that means any score over 150 defendable, it has no doubt had an influence on their ability to produce scores at home or away in consistency.

Nightcliff will be more of a force this season, to what extent is a unknown. If Calkin, de Terte and Cranmer can post defendable totals, they will be pushing for finals in all three formats and if the rest of the team can piece it together, maybe even a trophy.

Prediction;
T20: 3rd
One Day Comp: 2nd
Two Day Comp: 4th or 5th

Players to watch: Calkin & Cranmer

In: J. Needham, D. Bracewell (NZ), J. Kuru (NZ), M. Cranmer (East Torrens, SA).
Out: B. Hatton (retired?)

nice write ups, get them to add a d&dca section or this will turn into a 500 page flame fest

I believe Matty Wall is staying on with Palmerston this season.

Village also have Matthew Day who is a Tassie rookie coming at the start of July. He is a pretty handy right arm quick who should do well in Darwin.

Palmerston - Palmerston Cricket Club - Northern Territory

Palmerston (along with PINT) have been the bench mark in the D&DCA Competition. Always in the top four, they are able to put together a competent side that in the last half of this decade have lacked the experience to bring it home. With five players featuring in the successful NT Strike side, big things are expected this season. Ash Williams is captain with Peter Lake coach (unconfirmed).

They have a strong batting line-up that can dominate from ball one. Their bowling will be a key area to improve on which has lacked pace and variety at times. They have picked up a quick from overseas (Pakistan/Canadian) and a spinner. Swing bowler Hanna and medium fast Toner will play an important role in seeing Palmerston pick up a flag this season.

The key for Palmerston will be batting other teams out of the game, they have the depth and the experience to do so especially with players like Short, Williams and Regan. Unless they are hit by injuries, they should be pushing for a big showing in 2010.

Prediction;
T20: 2nd
One Day Comp: 1st
Two Day Comp: 2nd or 3rd

Players to watch: Hanna, Short & Williams

In:
Out: J. Crowe (Tracy Village), M. Wall (Tracy Village - unconfirmed), Derek de Boorder (NZ), U. Weerasinghe (VIC/Melbourne)

Darwin - Darwin Cricket Club - Home of the Mighty Eagles

Along with Nightcliff, Darwin's stocks look to be on the rise this season. Greg Brautigam is captain with Roland Hyatt coach. Darwin were also heavily represented in the recent NT Strike team, with these players expected to lead the side into the finals for first time since early 2000's.

Rick Burton (top order batsman) is returning for another season, but have lost strong middle order bat & captain Joel Boucher who is remaining in SA. Stuart Plunkett (top order batsman), Troy Ryan (fast bowler), SACA picks of Tom Brinsley (bowling all-rounder) and Josh Dolman (leg-spinner) have come in, meaning that both the batting and bowling has been bolstered and may make for some hard selections when full strength.

Like Nightcliff again, the main issue for Darwin was a lack of runs on the board. They will be able to bowl sides out consistently but will really need their batsman to produce 200+ scores every week. Should finish top four.

Prediction;
T20: 1st
One Day Comp: 4th or 5th
Two Day Comp: 2nd or 3rd

Players to watch: Briggs, Brinsley & Plunkett

In: T. Ryan (VIC), T. Brinsley (SA), J. Dolman (SA), S. Plunkett (TAS)
Out: J. Boucher (Woodville/SA), R. De Groote (TAS), T. Andrews (India), J. Weatherald (SA)

Southern Districts - MyCricket: Southern Districts

Southern Districts will struggle this season. Ian Redpath is expected back and captaining (unconfirmed), with David King as coach.

There is speculation as to whether Mick Miller, Todd Pemble and Dwaine Richards will have be playing. They will all be required if Districts are to improve on last years 6th. They picked up quality bat Tom Moffat in the SACA draft which should give them some backbone in their top order other than Bell & Redpath.

No other recruits have been heard of, so Districts could still be an unknown but it is unlikely they will win more than a couple of games. Their bowling depth is a major issue and their ability to collapse with the bat is another. Winning a few games in the early rounds is must to keep the morale high and maintain competitiveness till season ends.

Prediction;
T20: 7th
One Day Comp: 7th
Two Day Comp: 7th

Players to watch: Redpath & Moffat

In: T. Moffat (SA)
Out: S. Redfern (SA), M. Stopp (SA)

acek00;396638 said:
I hear TV have two Tassie bowlers as well?

Maybe Smith is coming back? Who knows, they need some bowlers as Johnstone has been looking like first change/opening bowler.

acek00;396638 said:
I hear TV have two Tassie bowlers as well?

Only the one, Matt Day.... Arrives mid season. The other quick is coming from Auckland Aces (Greg Morgan). Smith will not be coming back this season....

Back